Injector fuse size??

Brady_96Z

lurking chevy guy
I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why my car won't run and I had bad tunnel vision that it was ignition related.. Anyway, today I found that my (factory) fuse for the injectors was blown, it's a 15 amp.

I'm running a FAST with a fasttrack piggyback harness and 83# injectors on a twin TE-60'd 355" LT1

Do I need a larger fuse or should I start looking other problems?

This is obviously the first time it's blown the fuse, but I'm just starting to get the car lined out and running right...

Thanks!
...Brady
2003 Power Tour Long Hauler
www.turbocharged.net

We put 30 amp fuses in our harnesses. The 30 amp fuse protects the power feed for both the injectors and the heater in the O2 sensor.

The 15 amp fuse is too small IMO. 8 low-impedance injectors all operating statically (worst case) would draw 16 amps.

I take it that if you were working your injectors hard enough to pop the fuse that you're getting past some of the spark (or lack of spark) problems you were having last time we talked?

Thanks Craig, I put a 20 amp fuse in it and it fired right up.

Since we spoke at PRI, I've had the heads freshened up and TurboBob has got me set up with his coil on plug setup. I think the ignition problems are behind me.. I have been having a hard time finding a converter that works, but that's another story.

Thanks for the advice!
...Brady

Oops! In peak-hold mode the drivers actually hold injector current at 1 amp, not 2 amps, so the "worst case" scenario I presented is actually twice as bad as worst case. Either way, when you take into acount the effects of things like cosmic rays, space/time continuum warps, English to Metric conversion, and other strange phenomena, you can clearly see why your 15 amp fuse had no choice but to blow. :D

when you take into acount the effects of things like cosmic rays, space/time continuum warps, English to Metric conversion, and other strange phenomena, you can clearly see why your 15 amp fuse had no choice but to blow

Yeah - and it was a stock fuse... everyone knows stock fuses SUCK :D

Furthermore, isn't it "standard operating procedure" to replace a blown fuse with the next larger rated fuse?? ;)

...back to lurking
...Brady

I ran into the same issue this weekend.
The stock injector fuse in a 94 Camaro was 7.5amp, it is running a FAST w the Fast Track Harness, we put a 20 amp in it now and it seems to be alot better.

Rob