Indianapolis....worth the move??

Darkstar72

My wife has the opportunity to apply for a position that would relocate our family to Indianapolis and it's definitely not my first choice. We currently live in the far west burbs of Chicago-land and we were originally trying to get further south like Raleigh, NC (choice #1) and she just happened to not mention a position just south of Atlanta that I was little upset she didn't tell me about. All we know is we definitely do not want to stay in this sink hole of a state that just keeps taxing the residents to death to make up for their crappy decisions.

Looking for any real tips for anyone currently living in Indianapolis if this would be a good move for our family in regards to quality of life, crime, schools, etc.

Thanks!

In the end, only you and your family will know if it is/was truly worth it. Tough decision. Good luck.

In the end, only you and your family will know if it is/was truly worth it. Tough decision. Good luck.

I understand that, I was more so looking for a locals overview of what it is like living in that area. I just briefly looked at the housing market and I am more than impressed with how far the money would go for the house we could get.

The nice part is, its less the 60 mi. from the Muncie Dragway.
And ya, that 500 mile race thing they have in May.

The nice part is, its less the 60 mi. from the Muncie Dragway.
And ya, that 500 mile race thing they have in May.

Been to Indy 500 a few times...not bad, not blown away by it either. It is nice to have a drag strip close by...not that I would use it often as I don't race anymore since with 2 kids I can't afford to fix the car if I break it. My budget these days is strictly car show/cruise nights with the TR.

I understand that, I was more so looking for a locals overview of what it is like living in that area. I just briefly looked at the housing market and I am more than impressed with how far the money would go for the house we could get.
Understand. From what hear, most places will be cheaper. Haha. Seriously though, good luck.

Crime I am sure is much less.

Like you already know Indiana will not tax you to death.

I am two hours south and visit there often. Been to Chicago a few times also and I can say I would much rather live in Indianapolis.

My daughter lives in Addison. Property taxes!! WTF.. $1200/ MONTH.
The move to the St Augustine, Fl. area, is on the radar for August.
They've HAD it w/ the nasty weather, crooked govt, outrageous living costs, having to be ultra cautious where they go.

South of Atlanta is good, IF you stay away from the area around the airport.
I'm 60 mi east, and have no problems w/ BS. Moved here in 1973...….from Peoria. Best move I've ever made.
An armed society, is a polite society! Know what I mean, Vern?:LOL:

Indy is nice and bad like any city I have a few friends out there the people are nice and the tax is alot lower that's why I moved to Indiana I grew up in Chicago and work there.

I lived there for 14 years. I liked it. We lived in Johnson County on the Southside, a very safe area. The North and Northwest (Hamilton and Hendricks counties) sides are the upper echelon. With kids, I do not think you would be happy in Indy/Marion County. In Johnson County I lived just outside the Greenwood city limits, maybe 1/4 mile, and taxes, insurance were super cheap + convenient to everywhere. Downtown was 20 minutes away also. There is about 30 minutes of rush hour traffic in Indy, haha.

My daughter lives in Addison. Property taxes!! WTF.. $1200/ MONTH.
The move to the St Augustine, Fl. area, is on the radar for August.
They've HAD it w/ the nasty weather, crooked govt, outrageous living costs, having to be ultra cautious where they go.

South of Atlanta is good, IF you stay away from the area around the airport.
I'm 60 mi east, and have no problems w/ BS. Moved here in 1973...….from Peoria. Best move I've ever made.
An armed society, is a polite society! Know what I mean, Vern?:LOL:

Exactly! I knew it was time to start looking last summer when they raised taxes again after holding up the budget for over 6 months. They couldn't even afford to send out the mailers anymore to remind people to renew their license plate stickers and they had no money to pay out Lottery winners. How fucked is that?!! There are not enough reasons to keep me in this state any longer than we have to at this point. Illinois will only get worse as they are losing residents quickly due to their corruption and horrible mismanagement of tax revenue.

My wife is throwing her name in the ring for the job today in Indy so fingers crossed she can land it. It would be a huge move for her, same agency she works for now, but the job duties would be more of what she enjoys versus all the technical writing she does now. I told her that I'm pretty fluid and I'll find something after we get established. I believe with what they will be paying her, if she gets it, we can get by on the one income for a bit.

I lived there for 14 years. I liked it. We lived in Johnson County on the Southside, a very safe area. The North and Northwest (Hamilton and Hendricks counties) sides are the upper echelon. With kids, I do not think you would be happy in Indy/Marion County. In Johnson County I lived just outside the Greenwood city limits, maybe 1/4 mile, and taxes, insurance were super cheap + convenient to everywhere. Downtown was 20 minutes away also. There is about 30 minutes of rush hour traffic in Indy, haha.

Thank you for the feedback! This will be very useful if we need to start looking for a new place to hang our hat. I told her I'm just more excited to have a bigger garage (currently only have a one car garage and it is tight...you can guess which is the only car that gets that spot, Ol Pearl).

Live there for about 10 years myself Greenwood is a beautiful area with a great car scene literally every Saturday 1000 cars come out to play you would love that area like stated before stay away from Indy though as far as living

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife has the opportunity to apply for a position that would relocate our family to Indianapolis and it's definitely not my first choice. We currently live in the far west burbs of Chicago-land and we were originally trying to get further south like Raleigh, NC (choice #1) and she just happened to not mention a position just south of Atlanta that I was little upset she didn't tell me about. All we know is we definitely do not want to stay in this sink hole of a state that just keeps taxing the residents to death to make up for their crappy decisions.

Looking for any real tips for anyone currently living in Indianapolis if this would be a good move for our family in regards to quality of life, crime, schools, etc.

Thanks!
My wife was born and raised there, me I was born and raised in the south. Not trying to be ugly but you couldn’t pay me to live up north. Taxes, weather, people everywhere. When people move down here, I’ve heard my fair share of them that claim they would never go back. When I’m ask where the Mason-Dixon Line is I tell them it’s about three miles north of Charlotte NC

Live there for about 10 years myself Greenwood is a beautiful area with a great car scene literally every Saturday 1000 cars come out to play you would love that area like stated before stay away from Indy though as far as living

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info! We would definitely be asking a lot of advise from my wife's regional director as he works out of the same Indiana office she applied to work in. He also has a family and can help us. I know I'm not interested in living in Indy proper. We currently live about 40 min due west of Chicago and I would have no problem moving further away from the city too...I don't do city stuff much. I need space....and lots of it.

She also applied for a position out of Harrisburg, PA and I told her I'm good with whatever gets us out of Illinois for now. Both areas would have lots to offer the family and she actually has loads of family out East.

plus we have a 1% property tax cap, I am looking at moving the other way and you guys are taxed to death.

My wife was born and raised there, me I was born and raised in the south. Not trying to be ugly but you couldn’t pay me to live up north. Taxes, weather, people everywhere. When people move down here, I’ve heard my fair share of them that claim they would never go back. When I’m ask where the Mason-Dixon Line is I tell them it’s about three miles north of Charlotte NC
Mason Dixon line is just below Macon, GA and there is another at the Florida line:)

I work for a large electrical contractor in Mass & R.I., many of my coworkers are in the process of relocating or planning to relocate to carolinas/Tennessee area in part for the reasons you listed, ages ranging from 30's to 60's, they've had enough up here. How is the construction industry down there?

I work for a large electrical contractor in Mass & R.I., many of my coworkers are in the process of relocating or planning to relocate to carolinas/Tennessee area in part for the reasons you listed, ages ranging from 30's to 60's, they've had enough up here. How is the construction industry down there?
Where I live in SC about 25 miles south of a Charlotte NC it’s wide open. The thing about down here once you get away from the city you are in the middle of nowhere. I live in Rock Hill SC, about 40k living here. There’s a four lane out of town that heads SW to interstate 85, maybe 35 miles. Why they built a 4 lane who knows because there’s nothing but big farms, a house here and there no towns no nothing, and hardly any cars. A great place to drag race.

Looks like she will be in the running for one of the 2 positions! She just sent me a screen shot this morning that her paperwork has gone from RECEIVED to REFERRED. She's excited/nervous and I'm just envisioning the feeling I will be filled with if I get to walk into my bosses office to give my 2 weeks notice. The last time I put in 2 weeks I actually liked the place/job I had, but left for more money and stability. Now the current workplace...won't miss it at all. LOL.

To be continued....