Inaugural SCCA Time Trials Nationals

Turbo6inKY

Short Guy
TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
I've made it to NCM in Bowling Green. Practice Sessions tomorrow (Friday) and competition starting Saturday.

I'd post a clever pictures, but it was after dark when I got there. What I can say is the hardware that's showed up is nuts. Tom O'Gorman is here in his Ferrari. I saw a McLaren Senna, a pile of high end Porches, and at least one Lambo. Andy Hollis is here, so that's another McLaren.

I managed to break a rib loading the car on the trailer, so tomorrow could be interesting. We shall see if pain will make me faster.

In any case, I'll try to keep things updated each night. If you have the twitters I'll probably post updates there: @Andrew1427
Unless it pisses me off, then I'll try Instagram: andrewdscott12

Good job! Don't let them highfalutin cars bother you none. The bigger the price tag, the harder they fall.

About that rib deal. Pick up either a large wrap around Ace bandage, a kidney belt, or some duct tape & wrap it up tight. Try not to laugh, or sneeze.

Good luck.

Best TrackSprint run from today. We had practice on the full road course, but those videos are too large to try and upload over Hotel Wifi.

But to whet your appetite, here's my best east course TrackSprint run. 85mph over a blind crest in a Buick isn't shabby at all.

Welp, I wish I could have fought the good fight, but I'm home.

The gasket between the header and the turbocharger gave up (again). I didn't have the tools with me to fix it on site, so I packed it up and headed home a day early. I'll get track footage up in the next couple of days. I had seven sessions and the car spent at least 118 miles at speed.

Here's my best lap from this weekend.

I'm a bit disappointed. There was a lot of coasting. But 90 over the table top is impressive.

And here's the whole sessions, backed out when the transmission temperature got high.

Keeping the transmission at or below 200 is proving to be a challenge.

Amazingly enough, even though I packed up and left a day early, I was NOT LAST:

http://www.sccahq.com/

M1. Boom. Goal met.

The next hurdle is Optima. By Monday, October 8, I'll know if I've squeaked into the invitational.

Still almost the middle of the pack.
The trans temp went up rather slow but once it hit 178 it seemed to jump to 204 in less than a minute and a half. It seems like it would climb to 204 at the same rate, but It shot right up there. That's strange.

Like you said, you were NOT last! Lol and you didn't leave 6 qts. of engine oil on the track.

Still almost the middle of the pack.
The trans temp went up rather slow but once it hit 178 it seemed to jump to 204 in less than a minute and a half. It seems like it would climb to 204 at the same rate, but It shot right up there. That's strange.

Like you said, you were NOT last! Lol and you didn't leave 6 qts. of engine oil on the track.

Yeah, so the trans temp appears to have been caused by the engine oil temp.

1538363343771.png

Once the engine oil passed 160 degrees, it started pulling the water temp up, and then they started dumping heat into the transmission circuit via the radiator loops.

I'm disconnecting the engine oil loop in the radiator and running that through its own cooler. I'm running engine oil that's perfectly happy at 275+, so I need to isolate that from the coolant and transmission.

Yeah, so the trans temp appears to have been caused by the engine oil temp.

View attachment 328717

Once the engine oil passed 160 degrees, it started pulling the water temp up, and then they started dumping heat into the transmission circuit via the radiator loops.

I'm disconnecting the engine oil loop in the radiator and running that through its own cooler. I'm running engine oil that's perfectly happy at 275+, so I need to isolate that from the coolant and transmission.

That's a good idea.
It does make the most sense to isolate the highest temp fluid and put it on its own circuit.

It's been good. It's ~20psi at idle with the oil at 150 degrees. It drops to ~10psi idle at ~220 degrees. Pressure at WOT is 60psi using the yellow bypass spring in the pump.

Last oil analysis came back fine.

How is it when you’re pulling 1g through a corner? That’s my biggest concern. Pulling hard in the corner and uncovering the pickup. I see you have a lot of data monitoring going on so I figured I’d ask. I really love what you’re doing with this car and hope to build something like this one day myself. Thanks, Joel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As it turns out, uncovering the pickup is the least of the problems for these cars. It isn't a problem at all, in fact.

The 86/87 oil pan has a cover over the sump. I've pulled 1.9G in a bank with this thing and never saw the oil pressure do anything other than what it should have been doing. The only route out from under the sump with any significant area is forward, so if you were going to uncover the sump, it would be under braking.

So what are you finding to be the biggest or bigger problems you’ve face or are facing?

So what are you finding to be the biggest or bigger problems you’ve face or are facing?

After ironing out the suspension and motor mounts, the next issue is heat. Especially the transmission. The heat also will cause the fasteners holding the turbo to the header to release, blowing the gasket at the flange. I had to replace those studs with Inconel pieces. My headers moved so much that the slip joint under the torque converter cover came out of the band clamp. I've melted lots of crap under the hood on the passenger side because of the downpipe. If I keep doing this with this car, I'll need a vented hood.