Improved door hinges

buickcowboy

We need a vendor to either refurbish or completely redesign some new door hinges for these cars due to the weight of the doors. My friends & I have discussed this topic and ALL OF US would be willing to pay more for a set of premium hinges possibly machined from billet steel. (can you say RJC Racing engine girdle?) A sealed high-quality thrust bearing for the weight bearing part and a sealed roller to ride against the spring lever. (Timkin quality) Powder coated also.

Anyone ever find a place to buy a new set of hinges? My car is being worked on as we speak and both sides of mine are shot.

what do you look for in knowing that your hinges are bad and what test or diagnostic procedures do
you do to confirm that they are bad, thanks

Ron

what do you look for in knowing that your hinges are bad and what test or diagnostic procedures do
you do to confirm that they are bad, thanks

Ron
just look at the brass bushings,if they are wore out, they need rebuilt. if you doors are still on the car, try grabbing the rear of the door and see if they move up and down. also if they are hard to shut or drop when you open them

also another problem is that the hinge itself can egg out. Mikes montes and OPG sells new door hinges. I replaced the upper driver side one and rebuilt the rest of them. The passenger side upper still has play but not much. I would suggest replacing both upper hinges and rebuild the lowers.