Im tired of the false 93 octane here

ThikStik

My sleep apnea is winning
I am convinced that most stations here in Birmingham...probably the Southeast, are diluting their 93. I have my TLplus WOT spark timing set to 6. That should yield 3.3, 6.6 and 10 deg of timing pull up the rpm band. Nice power robbing setting. But today, which was cold, it pinged with almost any boost after a few gallons of BP. You guys have recommended Mobile, and shure enough , that has been the best gas so far with almost 0 Knock, except for a few times wide open. My boost winds up at 18psi. I busted a station here a few years ago after my GTO motor pinged like a field of cicadas. They had 88.7 in the 93 spigot. (got the weights/measures guy out there). I am going to call our new and lame weights/measures guy and prhaps a TV crew. I have called him when i got a tank of seriously pinging gas, but no call back. Today, i got some gas that was as bad. The only other thing, I do have a set of heads that i paid to have ported by a guy on this board, I got some other heads back, (mine were un-touched) that were cut so much that intake barely fit. I always say, the GN really needed a few more cubes so we can turn the wick down alittle.

might be the 'winter-mix 'of gas - I get about 8mpg less with that crap...

Here in CA they have a summer blend and winter. Also I don't know how often it happens but we had a car die after getting gas some years back. Turned out it was water in the gas we just got.

Red C5..a tire died from water in gas? Please explain.

I had thought about the denser air, and will set the TL box alitte richer. Sheez can these things burn anymore gas! I am pretty sure Ive driven it in air this cold. Its most severe after using t same BP . I will do my best to avoid it and go to the Mobile which is out of the way. Thanks guys.

Set T+ to richer WOT, bought 7 gal of Mobile 93 oct. No help..double KR by 10 psi. So since i couldnt floor it, i need to set fueling across the board to richer. Gonna look at basics like fuel Pres at boost, but i still think its low octane.

Fixed.
The BP gas was bad. After that I moved the T+ WOT to 5 not 6 from the original (good) setting of 7. Well, 5 is 1o* advance!!! So my lesson is to not trust my eyes which have failed excimer laser surgery, cloudy lenses, and presbyopya. So back to 7 WOT spark, and with Mobile gas , its killer.

Another $20 of gas from a different BP, KR was back to double digits. I might as well buy from the cheapest gas stations. This was on a warmer day. I guess Ill detune it another 4 degrees. Ridiculous.

I am convinced that most stations here in Birmingham...probably the Southeast, are diluting their 93. ............

Maybe the crap pump gas we have had here in the West for years is finally making its way to the East?

The "best" pump gas here for years now is listed at 91 octane. Even with our better winter blend, a stock GN is fortunate to run 14 psi w/o any knock?

What I also think is a problem with 93 octane, or 91 here, is hardly anyone but a very few cars, or owners, use the higher priced octane, so it gets stale in the ground from sitting there so long?

The oil companies tell us the shelf life of pump gas is now about 3 weeks, and then it starts to go down fast from there.

So maybe what you are receiving is some old 93, that is much less, or maybe some "re-formulated" EPA approved low emission gas that has an "effective" rating of 93, but much less in actuality?

One thing I am sure about, that is the current pump gas is not nearly as good, or has nearly the octane, as the gas we used over 25 years ago when these cars were new. So when you do any mods, the need for octane increases, but what we get is less octane and more knock. :(

I agree 100% on all that. Sadly, this makes the 3.8 a midget on steroids. It can do the heavy lifting, but at a price. I didnt know the octane degraded that fast...wow. Surely it must stay in ground longer as we face the new world economy, and not as many can afford it. I can say for sure, the foreign stations are the worst at coctails. Hey , does anybody know about the coming low sulphur requirement..yep, for gasoline. It ought to add a quarter or so to price. Im trying not to follow such things anymore, so im not up on it.