I'm in a bit of a dilemma

trixdout

Bear with me on this long post.

So the lease that I took over 13 months ago is ending in less than a month. It is 3er in my sig. As fun as it is to drive and handles really really well (not many cars I can compare it to, haven't driven much other than my dad's '09 ram 1500 hemi, mom's '08 legacy 3.0r, my ex-toyota matrix '06, a friend's '08 sti and my lovely black brick). As you can see it is probably the best stock handling car in my minimally experienced driving record.

The car is a 6sp and I just love mashing the pedal and rowing through gears. The payments I can deal with, not an issue here. My only issue with the car is the aftermarket. There just isn't much support besides a tune. And the support that is out there, is through the roof with mods. Just to give an example, the aluminum ta short block with forged rotating assembly is what a turbo upgrade would cost (custom downpipe, tune, intake, fueling, and exhaust manifold along with the needed hd diverter valve). I sort of jumped the gun on it and if my parents didn't push me for the least oldest model without buying new, I'd have gone with the older model. The older style has much better aftermarket support in the turbo category. The difference between models is the twin scroll in mine (sooo stupid). Anyways, let me get back on topic. Nice features and awesome looking and not a bad sound either from the motor or exhaust. But I've had this underlying itch for something grunty and powerful and frankly don't care for awd. My itch led me to start looking at a few different vehicles.

Albeit is isn't a GM vehicle, it definitely get respect for what it is. Ever since I first heard about them, it was just jaw-dropping great. It does have its faults, but when you look at a vehicle like this, certain things you just turn your head away because you walk into it knowing what comes with it. I've been looking at the SRT-10 Rams. I found a really really nice one really close to me (believe less than 2 hours away). Got less than 10k miles and I believe he wants less than $30k. Looks mint from the pictures, just no navy or sound system or quad cab. Just reg radio, but the best part is it's a manual tranny.

Based on what is left to purchase the bmw, I could spend the same amount and get the truck. Yes. The mpg will blow. It's only rwd, so it'll be horrendous in the winter. No navigation, or even sound system, but that can always be upgraded as liked.
To me the benefits outweigh the negatives evenly if not better. You have a viper, but can tow. You got an awesome looking truck (the body and what they did to a reg 2005 to make it the srt is just like the new srt8 cherokees). Did I mention its a viper motor and 6sp?

Most of you guys on here are older than me and some double my age and some even my father's age. You all have forgotten more than I have learned. Talking to my dad for advice on this matter isn't easy. He's the type of guy that no longer wants to do work on a car unless its a necessity. He doesn't want to do the exhaust on his truck because frankly his stock isn't broken.... That's his mentality in a nut shell. In the end its my money, but I'd like to get some sort of sensible advice from all parties. Mainly you guys though, because we kind of all think alike here.

So hit me with your opinions and/or advice

Buy a commuter car that get 28+ mpg, turn in the BMW before it needs parts. (I own a Z4). Then take all the coin you will be saving and put the $1,000/month in a good long term investment package. You WILL thank me in less than 10 years. And I am NOT joking. You have a Turbo Buick to play with. Do not do what my son is currently doing. (Building a turbo LS powered RX-7 ---right hand drive too). Huge money pits and let me also give you the best advice I can........never......ever buy a vehicle on emotion or how you think you will look/feel. It will be a huge mistake. Now, if you own a house outright and have all bills paid off, a big retirement account and 6 month emergency fund then go buy a cool car truck and fry the tires off of it! You're welcome "son".(y)

That is excellent advice!! I was told by an older man when I was younger " Boy, its not how much you make but how much you save"

Buy a commuter car that get 28+ mpg, turn in the BMW before it needs parts. (I own a Z4). Then take all the coin you will be saving and put the $1,000/month in a good long term investment package. You WILL thank me in less than 10 years. And I am NOT joking. You have a Turbo Buick to play with. Do not do what my son is currently doing. (Building a turbo LS powered RX-7 ---right hand drive too). Huge money pits and let me also give you the best advice I can........never......ever buy a vehicle on emotion or how you think you will look/feel. It will be a huge mistake. Now, if you own a house outright and have all bills paid off, a big retirement account and 6 month emergency fund then go buy a cool car truck and fry the tires off of it! You're welcome "son".(y)
x2
Great advice
I wish someone had told me to put some money aside every month on an investment plan in my twenties.

Not just put some back, put some effort into making it grow. If you spent a quarter the time planning your investments as you do "playing" it could allow a lot more playing in the future.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I agree with turbofabricator- I'm 51, my daily driver is a 1994 Honda Civic Hatchback that gets 40 plus mpg- gets me to work and back, plus putting 2 daughters through college and a 3rd in high school. I started putting money in a retirement in my early 20's and am well on my way to a good retirement, purchased my first house at 21 and rented it out for 8 years! By the time I was married, and moved in it was over 1/2 paid for by my renters as well as me throwing additional in now and then. Paid a nice chunk on the place I currently live in- 2800 sq. ft. house with a 40 X 60 shop on a 1 acre lot! Overtime I work pays for the "toys" and the Grand National, and I've worked mostly 50 hr weeks for several years! "Hour Power"- Put at least your "hourly" rate every week into a retirement fund, pay yourself first! May be tough at times (believe me I know) but it will pay off when you get to retirement!

Last edited: