I'm done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VadersV6

I have far too little time for myself, too little money to keep a POS 20 year old clunker on the road. Its been a lemon since I got it, and honestly needed a full ground up rebuild to be worth anything. It looked great...for awhile. Ran like **** when I bought it. Put alot of sweat and blood and money into it and got it running pretty well for awhile. Seemed every time the moment came where I could add a go fast part or make it better, something would break, taking all the cash. I never did get to do with it what I wanted cause it was a full time job keeping it on the road. When you have a wife that wants every second of your time and a boss that wants every second of your time, and no one is happy, I dont have time for this ****. Turbo disintegrated a few months back. I knew it was going south, but couldnt replace it. I got a replacement, and had it installed for free, which was awesome, but was led to believe that "there is no metal in the oil. trust me, Ive been doing this forever". So I drove around for a month with the contaminated oil....even though I KNEW better, I let some words cast doubt in my mind and I ended up trashing the motor. I always feel so stretched for any time of my own, its hard to even get a chance to change oil....as stupid as that sounds. The motor started having so much blow-by that it was blowing oil out of the dipstick tube. Did everything to rule out major damage. Ended up pulling the heads at night, in the rain, by myself with no lights. No sign of a blown head gasket. The heads look flat with a straight edge but theyve been surfaced by a sander. I got sick for a week, then I spent some spare hours last week rebuilding the heads. Did a little more port work, back cutr on the valves, new springs and seals, ground the stems to get the right lifter preload (was really bad before)..They were totally ready for the trash pile since theyve been surfaced too many times and had too many valve jobs. I managed to save them. I needed to find someone on saturday to deck them, but my wife sprung this kids b-day party...her step sister's kid's 2nd b-day...if i dont show up, my wife's whole side will talk **** about me behind my back since thats how they are. And she'll make my life hell if I dont get it over with. I got out about 3PM and couldnt find anyone to deck them. Had to drive damn near all over socal to piece together a complete head gasket swap kit with everything I needed since NO ONE anywhere had it. I had to get this car running since its all I have and Im driving my brothers honda which is for sale and he needs it back. I dont have any time to do it right, which SUCKS. I never was sure if it was the bottom end that was bad, but regardless, I knew that I didnt have the time, money or energy to pull the motor out and have it rebuilt. I just dont. Between a bad back and a bad heart, its just too much. There are plenty of people who offer to help and none ever does...or they may show up but they just stand there and dont do anything the whole time..(except when lou did the turbo for me) so I have to figure what I have time for and what I dont since its only me out there and Im drowning in obligations. I also couldnt afford to have a ****ed up car and lose thousands in value, since I want to sell it and dont want to be forced to drive a POS...cant walk into a dealer and buy a car since my once 800 credit score was totally obliterated by someone once we got a joint bank account and since I was working so many hours, this person said they'd take care of the bills...I ended up losing every credit line and had my credit destroyed)... So Im backed into a wall. So I hoped it was the head gasket (had 60lbs in #5 cylinder), and spent the weekend putting it all back together. I have alot of muscular damage throughout my back, and getting stabbing pains through my heart when im doing **** like this so doing this **** is unbearable but has to be done. I seriously dont think I have alot of time left, (not going to go to a doctor and let him kill me faster) and my wife wants to adopt a kid in 6 weeks?..So I finally get it together, do a compression test, and that cylinder is still bad. Fire it up and it runs worse than before. Runs terrible. Checked the lobes when the thing was apart and it didnt seem bad. It still has tons of blow by and my brothers 1.7 honda would kill this POS. Its slow as hell, getting 8 degrees of knock at 15psi, and its slow as hell. And this morning I popped the cap off the radiator and there are tiny droplets of oil forming in the water...I did everything to seal this **** but it still sprung a leak. It idles terrible, blows smoke out of the valve covers so bad you choke....I GIVE UP. And I didnt even get the chance to finish the bodywork and paint that I spent a month on, on the passenger side before the motor went. In the span of a month, it went from a decent car, to looking and running like a junkyard POS that I wouldnt pay 3 grand for. Sucks when you paid 12 grand. Guess theres a lesson in here somewhere. Passions are for people with the option to have them.
Dont know if this is a bitch fest about my life or my car, but it seems the 2 are merging to the point I gotta let this thing go, before I let the stress kill me. I had time for this stuff at one point in my life, but I'm being forced to choose my passions or a family. My wife thinks its impossible for the 2 to co-exist.

:(

Park it. Scrounge up a daily driver somewhere somehow.

+1

Don't sell it.... get you a (decent) beater.... and come back later when you can give it some more time. You might not now... but you will regret it if you sell it.

Sorry to hear of the misfortunes. I really hope all turns out well.

I understand..

Believe me. My "dream car" turned into a nightmare. I bought it with the intention of giving a paint job and driving-wrong. Now it has become a project. I am working full time at night, going to school full time in the day with about 4-6 hours of sleep somewhere in between. I was tired of being tired. I just had to step away for a bit.

Luckily my buddy let me store it at his body shop until I can work on it. I just had to make a deal with myself that I will work on it on my terms. It isn't my driver so I will let it sit until I have the time and energy to complete it. I graduate in May. Then I will have a little time to work on it.

Walk away for a little bit. Cover it up. Pick up a cash car beater to take up daily driving. Save up a little cash here and there. In a few months, when time and energy aren't at such a premium, pull the motor and fix it properly. Once it is running right, then you can deal with the looks ( or cover it up, walk away save the money and address it again at a later date).

You can't look at it like a losing investment. It is what it is- our obsession. Take your time, when you start getting torqued-step away, regroup, make a new plan and move forward.

Well now i dont feel so bad. It may get better, hold on i didnt know i wasnt the only one living this nightmare.

Well Guy ,and I Am Not Laughing At You,it Can Only Get Better...my Mother Always Told Me ...in Every Dark Cloud There Is A Silver Lining.......ps Ditch The Wife

It started when my boss sold the company, and the new owner decided to move to lake forest. I live in ontario and thought Id have to take the 5 fwy every day, so I figured theres no way I can deal with 4 hours of traffic a day with a heavy clutch, so I sold my cobra. Perfect car, fast, reliable. I had the GN bug for 20 years and figured, 25mpg, mad power, auto...I can get everything I need and want. So I sold the cobra, bought the GN, and then after the move, the boss hands me a transponder to use the 241 toll road...which he's paying for. I was so pissed. i never had to sell it. But knowing me, I probably would have bought a GN anyway cause I wanted it. The GN got 8mpg cause it was so screwed up, and anyway....all the tales are here in old posts. I thought I was finally catching up and then BAM. It all dies right before getting a kid. We got news that someone wanted to adopt out a baby when it's due in 6 weeks and my wife and i have been trying for 8 years and could never have one. It just fell out of the sky, and it wouldnt involve the mega bucks normally associated with an adoption. There are a million underlying issues that scream that this isnt good timing, but I guess no one is ever financially ready for kids. You just make it happen when the need comes. Theres a 1200 dollar home study thing, where they come into your life and nitpick you to death to make sure you're fit to be a parent. So the only mode of transportation dying at the same time SUCKS when the money isnt there.

If you have a place to keep it, hold on to it. I bought mine in 1990. I lived at home, garage filled with my dad's crap. It stayed outside until 1997, weather torn, my parents moved to NC with a garage and a couple of out buildings. I put the car down there and stayed in NJ. 10 years later, last summer I towed it home, am going through the some BS working out the bugs from sitting. But I know if I would have sold it i would regret it now. Everytime I get in it now I have a smile even with the rough idle! When it was sitting, financially it was out of sight out of mind. I wanted to tinker with it but didn't have the cash or a garage. Now I have a garage and some cash to play with and I bet if I had to buy one now in the same condition of mine I would pay double for what I would got for it back then. Just keep that in mind. It happened to me when I got rid of my '66 GTO for this one.

Hang in there man. Dont sell it..park it until you get your head and wallet straight.

Dont feel bad about laying your heart out here. Thats what were here for..support and advice. :smile: Your not alone. I have a business with 14 employess and 2 little kids and a wife. I know what you mean when u say you dont have the time to do ANY work on the car.

Stay strong and never quit.....

+1

Hang in there man. Dont sell it..park it until you get your head and wallet straight.

Dont feel bad about laying your heart out here. Thats what were here for..support and advice. :smile: Your not alone. I have a business with 14 employess and 2 little kids and a wife. I know what you mean when u say you dont have the time to do ANY work on the car.

Stay strong and never quit.....

DR. PHIL would tell you that a baby is a big responsibility and seeing that you are already in financial problems,,well i dont have to tell you the rest

It started when my boss sold the company, and the new owner decided to move to lake forest. I live in ontario and thought Id have to take the 5 fwy every day, so I figured theres no way I can deal with 4 hours of traffic a day with a heavy clutch, so I sold my cobra. Perfect car, fast, reliable. I had the GN bug for 20 years and figured, 25mpg, mad power, auto...I can get everything I need and want. So I sold the cobra, bought the GN, and then after the move, the boss hands me a transponder to use the 241 toll road...which he's paying for. I was so pissed. i never had to sell it. But knowing me, I probably would have bought a GN anyway cause I wanted it. The GN got 8mpg cause it was so screwed up, and anyway....all the tales are here in old posts. I thought I was finally catching up and then BAM. It all dies right before getting a kid. We got news that someone wanted to adopt out a baby when it's due in 6 weeks and my wife and i have been trying for 8 years and could never have one. It just fell out of the sky, and it wouldnt involve the mega bucks normally associated with an adoption. There are a million underlying issues that scream that this isnt good timing, but I guess no one is ever financially ready for kids. You just make it happen when the need comes. Theres a 1200 dollar home study thing, where they come into your life and nitpick you to death to make sure you're fit to be a parent. So the only mode of transportation dying at the same time SUCKS when the money isnt there.

Man, I feel for you. Wish there was something I could do to help you out, considering you are so close, but I too have been busy (so busy I dont even have time to start my car to charge the battery). I dont have too many things in the line of parts for you to try. Like everyone is stating, if you can keep it, then keep it, Store it somewhere and just let it sit. Like you already stated, you cant get much of anything for it. I also understand your money is tight. Get a car from one of those "quality used car" places. Not all of them are bad, plus they will finance anyone, no matter the credit, Or just work a deal with your brother for that Honda you have been driving (if it is a good enough car). I hope things get better for you man, I really do. I hate to see good individuals struggle, but unfortunately it happens. Things always get better over time. Believe it or not, I saw my brother go through the same thing as you, except he lost his house. Even for him now, he is doing better. Just do your best to relax, or like you said, you will end up killing yourself. PM me if you need some help, I live in Orange.

I can feel your pain, your one saving grace is that these cars are worth something, even messed up.

It sounds like you are really strapped for time so the only thing you can do with a car like a GN is pay someone to take of care of issues for you to keep you sane. But if $$ is going to be tight then I think you have to sell it otherwise you will spend a ton of time and $$ to get it back on the road.

There aren't many cars though that go up in value like our cars that are relatively cheap to upgrade etc. So before you go and buy a car that's cheaper and you will lose money on year after year, take a day or two to cool off the GN cliff diving run.

Theres a 1200 dollar home study thing, where they come into your life and nitpick you to death to make sure you're fit to be a parent.

That's BS. You learn how to be a parent by being a parent. You were a kid once, too. It's funny how you find yourself becoming your dad over time (sometimes that's good, sometimes not).

Park the car and get something cheap to get you to work and back. The GN can be reliable and fun, but it soundsl like right now you can't afford (time-wise and money-wise) to make it that way. I drove G-bodies 90-miles round trip every day for years without any problems. The same can be done with a GN.

Do what you need to do, but you'll regret selling the GN like you regret selling your Cobra. Unless it's absolutely necessary financially just stash it somewhere until you can get back to it.

I sold my '67 GTO when I bought my house. I thought I needed to, but turns out I didn't. I regret that decision fairly regularly.

Jim

so why dont you buy the honda off your brother and make him payments? i mean you already drive it so you know its dependable, and Im sure your brother can work out a payment plan with you. then work on the gn when you have time and money

.......Or just sell it to someone who has the time and the money to keep it the collector car that it is. It IS, just a car. Your family is worth WAY more than a Buick or Cobra or waht ever else kinda toy there is. Keep your family happy and fed. You can always buy another project car. Besides a turbocharged GenIII V8 car is a better way to go. I have been building Buick turbo cars since 1988. They are GREAT cars, but.....they are just a car. Sheet metal and trouble.:D Buy a commuter car, work on getting a higher paying job, invest some money in a house, retirement and kids schooling, THEN buy a toy. I had to drop out of the Buick scene for a few years to get my kids through high school and Crew (championship rowing, they competed nationally and THAT ain't cheap folks!:eek: ) It was the best money/time I have ever spent. Family first. She married you, not the car. Good luck, move on, and don't ever second guess your decisions.:) Take a step back and take a breath of fresh air.....You will have a huge burden lifted from your shoulders.

I truely understand what your going thru dude. I'm not married but..... I bought my gn when i was 20 yrs old and not having a decent paying job it was all i could do to be able to pay my apt rent and other bills. The GN was my DD. it was all good for the first few months then it started the nickel and dime me. The turbo went out then the trans then finally the engine died with out any warning. Well being that i was in bad shape for money/time i sought out and bought a little dodge omni beater to drive till i could muster the time/money to bring it back to life. well then disaster strikes again! My sister got thrown out of her house due to a marriage gone bad. So i now had my sister and her 3 kids living with me for me to support them thru this with a tad bit of help from my mom. My sister didn't have a job at this point because of her husband causing so much trouble they fired her. So it came to a point that i saw no light at the end of the tunnel so i proceeded to sell my GN so i could get me a decent car to drive and give my sister my omni to drive and help get her back on her feet. I sold that car to bob stanley and he held on to that car for about 2 yrs and then it came back up for sale about the time i was in decent shape to buy another TR . i found out that he was tring to sell it. So i went and bought it back. The odd thing was he had never sent the title back in to the state to have it changed into his name.

I used to stop by and just to ask how SloGN was doing and look at it and regret that i had to sell it. But there are things that we have to do in life.

She married you, not the car.
Believe me, she never lets me forget it. And its way overboard. She has no hobbies other than shopping, so its much better for her that I sit on the couch and stare at the TV with her, than do something I enjoy. I've asked her to come out and work on the car with me or at least hang out while I work on it, if she's so concerned with us being together every second. But she never takes me up on it. I cant change my spark plugs without "you're always working on that thing...you love that car more than me! "I hate that car!.."its stupid and ugly"....I get **** for washing it once every 2 months! I used to hear the EXACT same thing with the cobra. Then today she tells me I should have never sold the cobra and I was an idiot to do that and it was so nice...blah blah blah...Without an outlet for your passions, you die. And Ive been in that boat for awhile. She is the furthest thing from a hot rodder's chick. Not 1 guy in her family is into cars, so she doesnt get it. To her, life is all about family. Nothing wrong with that, but when family lives so far, and has control of everything you think and do, when you're 29 years old...thats too much. Time to think for yourself. There are so many family functions, its hard sometimes to get anything done, when her family lives 50 miles away. And they never will drive to us, its always to them. If you dont show up, no matter if you're in the emergency room, then the "he doesnt love you...and "you deserve better" whispering in her ear starts, which ends in tons of trouble at home...a bunch of people who I'm very nice to, and are nice to me to my face, and then stab me in the back....trust me, I know no one who could hold her up and support her through so much nonsense for so long. I get that, but when your mother in law tells your wife how to think, feel, what to expect, what to do, no matter how bad the advise, she does what her mom thinks she should do, and never ever listens to anything I say we need to do. Had I had some cooperation, we would have alot of cash in the bank and have multiple properties by now, great credit again....but every time I want to do the right thing, she has to shut it down, because she's more about the feeling of "right now" than the common sense of what tomorrow will bring if you dont prepare. She is the strongest willed woman Ive ever known and no matter what you say or do, she's getting what she wants and calls it "compromise". I was saying a year and a half ago that a real estate crash was coming and we needed to sell our house at peak before we were upside down and trapped. I gave her tons of credible info from many people in the know...through someone close who "knows things"....cant be more detailed than that. We could have walked away with 90k after only living there 3 years, paid all our bills, fixed our credit, have cash in the bank, wait for the crash to happen, buy a bigger, better house, cheaper, and start buying other property. She did her usual tantrum, throwing household objects at me and screaming that she didnt want to "take a step back" by losing the house and living in a condo for a couple years. I said the step back was coming no matter what, but the question is "how do you want to come out of the "step back"? I said "do you want to come out of this by losing the house to a bankruptcy"...which its looking like the only option now. I'm fortunate to have grown up around many real estate masters, and she couldnt take advantage of it cause she's too obsessed with the fact she's the only one of her friends with a house, and couldnt let it go. She ignored and refused to believe what I was saying about the coming crash, and called the master of finance, her mother, who told her the same thing all her coddling family members do...tell her what feels warm and fuzzy and safe "right now" and told her "theres no crash coming, just refinance the house and stay there". No matter the stink I made, nothing can trump mother in law's dictate. So like prophecy, heres the crash, the 90k in equity is gone, after an equity refi with a stupid rate on an interest only loan, and a collapsing market with destroyed credit. A loan designed for people who just want a house and could care less about terms. Those loans are the reason the foreclosure rate is at record highs. Its been an exhausting uphill battle from day 1.
I think you guys are witnessing the downward spiral before complete madness, lol. :eek: This is some real tech talk here....jesus. I'm always bitching about something, and I think I can trace everything to 1 point.

Status
Not open for further replies.