Ignition Module Question

1tufam

My module has the "Pert Shampoo" ooze inside and I have a miss. It looks like there are many options from 70.00 to a couple hundred dollars. What is the best one for the buck? Any recommendations would be appreciated. I read a few threads and it looks like the chain parts store units have some issues on our cars. Probably works fine on Grandma's Olds 98.

I just replaced mine with a new delco coil pack and module and it was not cheap. If I had to do it over I'd convert to Bob Bailey's TR-6 for a little more money. More powerful, reliable and other tuning options included.

http://www.bailey-eng.com/tr6/

Thanks for the reply. That's a good option. This car is bone stock, so I'll try to go with an OE style piece.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Thanks for the reply. That's a good option. This car is bone stock, so I'll try to go with an OE style piece.

I ordered the coil/ignition combo from grand national specialties. I believe kirbans and cottons has them also. Get the GM brand, even though they are now made in china. The new GM ignition module has a tan colored potting material. I hope it fixes your problem. I attached a picture of what mine looked like.

Attachments

• GN coil.jpg
    GN coil.jpg
    757.1 KB · Views: 254
Thanks for the picture of yours. When you see that, you have found at least one of your problems. Mine is not that bad yet, it has started to turn where the coil wires are laying across the dielectric material. It quits pulling at high RPM when warmed up. The lifetime warranty ICM's from the chain stores sound good, but if they are not calibrated well for the timing needed with the turbo and knock retard, they could be a real headache.

Thanks for the picture of yours. When you see that, you have found at least one of your problems. Mine is not that bad yet, it has started to turn where the coil wires are laying across the dielectric material. It quits pulling at high RPM when warmed up. The lifetime warranty ICM's from the chain stores sound good, but if they are not calibrated well for the timing needed with the turbo and knock retard, they could be a real headache.

Yea, I originally bought a Borg Warner coil and the GM ignition. I still had the stumble problem, so I ordered the complete GM set, and still no luck. I figured at least I have a spare now, and hopefully not 2 bad modules. I also installed 10.4mm taylor wires and new UR5 plugs, and many other parts with no luck. New cam going in next week.

I just ordered one from Rockauto, the magnavox unit for vin 7. From what I read they all come from the same place now, and your best bet would be to get the same one I did from RA or go with bob baileys setup.
I also have been chasing a slight miss that has recently turned into a heavy miss, and my module is melted to all hell. It will definitely cause it. BTW, dont trust what the tester says at the autoparts store, mine passed it!!

It has also been seaping out a corner. Hope it lasts me 3 nore days....

Attachments

• 20130616_172630.jpg
    20130616_172630.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 144
It has also been seaping out a corner. Hope it lasts me 3 nore days....
Thanks for the RA tip, I had looked there, but like Mcdonald's they have too many choices. Which part number did you end up choosing?

Man, your module is ready for some nachos. Good luck on making it until the delivery truck shows up.

I ordered the unit part number "LX338" I believe, 67 dollars shipped. They have a closeout on the part right now,
I was skeptical about the price but on further examination I bet they are all made in the same place now, unless it is an original AC Delco unit, which is going to cost you big bucks. I think it should work fine as long as youre not driving a 500hp monster.

Go with the ac delco coil and module. Then pray it works

What causes these modules to melt and fail? Could my large 10.4mm spark plug wires transfer too much heat to the coil and module? Could this be a possible cause?

They just don't make things like they use to. That's the cause.

Problem is probably 26+ year old factory wiring and bad grounds. Once a ground gets intermittent it power will try and find another path and could hurt other components that do have good grounds .
FYI- been running on the same module now for 15 years that I bought from a local NAPA and also a replacement Accel coil from Jegs and been 8's with this nearly stock setup. What did I do wrong?
AG.

I ordered the ACDelco module, as for church I'll have to wait for Sunday.

Thanks for all the help. I'll update, hopefully with good news.

Problem is probably 26+ year old factory wiring and bad grounds. Once a ground gets intermittent it power will try and find another path and could hurt other components that do have good grounds .
FYI- been running on the same module now for 15 years that I bought from a local NAPA and also a replacement Accel coil from Jegs and been 8's with this nearly stock setup. What did I do wrong?
AG.

You were lucky :)

You were lucky :)

I'm not usually lucky. I would prefer to think that good wiring strategy had something to do with it.
AG

I've been running the same replacement NAPA module, $260 back then in Y2K, it wasn't cheap but it works well. :cool:

That reminds me I should source a spare for the two cars. :eek:

Time and time again the module is blamed when it's really crank or cam sensor issue......

If the new module does not solve the problem you know where to look.

Rick