Ignition grease

Ken Cunningham

Post No Bills
How should I properly apply the silicone ignition grease?

Since it's called a 'dielectric', doesn't that mean that it is an insulator? I would think that you should keep an insulator off of the actual electrical connections (plug and coil pack terminals) and instead just put the stuff on the boot to seal. Am I off on this?

Applying the silicone grease to the wiring boots, is exactly what I've always done.

Even if a little grease got onto the actual electrical conductors, 40-45KV would probably punch right through it.

There seems to be a ton of misunderstainding about dielectric grease. You are SUPPOSED to put it on the connector, and boot. Yes, its an insulator, it keeps everything free of moisture and corrosion. When the metal makes contact, the grease is shoved aside, and its a watertight seal.

I use dielectric on everything. keeps connectors easy to put on, remove and keeps water out!

I did my ECM wiring pins with the grease after finding out my windshield leaked, it still leaks but the connector doesnt get wet and this saves my ass on the way to work on a rainy day!

Later guys - Evan