Idling Sudden Loss of Fuel Pressure No Start

Cryptic

I drove to Cars and Coffee yesterday. Car was running well and I even gave it a few full throttle pulls from a roll with no issues. While idling in the long line to get in the car suddenly starting running rough then died. It would not restart. I have a hood mounted fuel pressure gauge that is connected at the fuel rail and I noticed that pressure had dropped to almost zero. I always prime the pump before I start and priming produced no pressure. I ended up having the car towed home and it still will not start.

A little over two years ago I installed a new fuel hanger, pump, lines and Hotwire kit from Joe Telesca and have been running E85. The car has been running great with no issues other than a couple oil leaks. When I put the key in the ignition and go to accessory the fuel pump relay clicks, the relay at the pump clicks and you can hear the fuel pump start but the noise seems to be strange.

There are no apparent leaks (no fuel smell, no puddles and zero pressure build). Electrically things seem to be working fine as the pump is making noise and all the relays are clicking however I can pull out a voltmeter and validate if necessary.

Do I simply have a bad pump? I doubt I have 500 miles on this pump as I haven't driven the car much since the start of the pandemic and I have a 9 month old baby which means a large majority of my free time has been devoted to first my pregnant wife and now child.

Video Here of Pump Noise

Last edited:
What did you use for a hose to connect the pump to the up pipe in the hanger?

I had a similar issue with mine. Ran good, idled fine, shut off…..no start & no fuel pressure on a pump with less than 500 miles.

I could hear the pump prime, everything. So I drop the tank to troubleshoot & troubleshoot the electrical, everything checks out. Put the pump in a bucket of fuel, added 12v to the pump, on & off 10 times maybe…..THEN POP!

All of a sudden she was pumping fuel again. Seem like a bit of dirt or debris somehow made it into the pump blocking it. I finally blew the junk out of the pump. I switched to another pump but I’m keeping the other as a backup.

I had a similar issue with mine. Ran good, idled fine, shut off…..no start & no fuel pressure on a pump with less than 500 miles.

I could hear the pump prime, everything. So I drop the tank to troubleshoot & troubleshoot the electrical, everything checks out. Put the pump in a bucket of fuel, added 12v to the pump, on & off 10 times maybe…..THEN POP!

All of a sudden she was pumping fuel again. Seem like a bit of dirt or debris somehow made it into the pump blocking it. I finally blew the junk out of the pump. I switched to another pump but I’m keeping the other as a backup.
That may be my next step to drop the tank, pull the pump out and try something like that to see if it flows. I suspect that something on it is clogged or failed.