Idle

Dr.rinco

Hey guys I was having trouble with my car idling. I changed the MAF sensor and forgot to disconnect the ground on the battery. After hooking up the new MAF and the battery the car won't idle if I start it, the only way to keep it running is to add pressure to the gas peddle. Anyone have ideas on what the problem is and how to fix it ?

Hey guys I was having trouble with my car idling. I changed the MAF sensor and forgot to disconnect the ground on the battery. After hooking up the new MAF and the battery the car won't idle if I start it, the only way to keep it running is to add pressure to the gas peddle. Anyone have ideas on what the problem is and how to fix it ?

Possible stuck IAC. Do you have a scantool to see the TPS and IAC? I would start there.

You need to look at your scan master numbers, and if you bought a parts store MAF to replace your “stock” MAF, there is your problem right there, only Kirbans sells MAF sensors calibrated for our cars, my brother went thru 9 returns to the parts store to try to get his GN running before throwing in the towel.
Buy a Translator and new MAF sensor, and your car will run again.

Idle problems are normally IAC related I would start there. If you have a scan master or other scan tool post IAC, TPS, MAF values at idle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That or you have a vacuum leak which is common aswell . Your blms would tell u if u had a issue

Either you have an air leak between the MAF and the throttle body or the new MAF is no good (not calibrated correctly). Where did you get this new MAF and what kind of MAF did you get? You don't have to disconnect the battery when changing a MAF.

This is the mad that was put on

Attachments

• 20180827_184218.jpg
    20180827_184218.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 93
This is the mad that was put on
Your problem is most likely the MAF. I have never seen an aftermarket MAF that was calibrated correctly for our cars.P1010766.JPG Do you have a picture of the new MAF you put on the car? Post a picture of it. Here is a picture of the correct MAF

Yup, clearly states on the tag remanufactured, toss it in the trash, or sell it to someone who's car it will actually work on, definitely not a turbo regal.
Buy yourself a Translator and LT1 MAF and get your car idling properly.
Use the search function for IAC reset procedure and you will find 100 posts about it.

Then after you get the Translator setup, buy a scanmaster, study the forums with the search function to get a grasp on what you are looking at. Go on e bay, buy the GM dealer cd pertaining to the year turbo regal you have. It contains every book that the dealership had, tech bulletins, wiring diagrams, part #'s, etc. Understanding what you have under the hood, and how to read the scan master will help immensely.
Got to Vortex bricks and look at the scan tool readings page, will explain a lot on what you are looking at and where your cars data should be.

Aftermarket ?
i have never disconnected the battery to change a MAF totally unnecessary step unplug your maf and the engine will probably start and idle fine don't try to fix a idle problem due to the maf by messing with the IAC