Ideal temps.+more boost=11.37

eddc87

I love 60 ft.
Julio, Is there something more going on with this alcohol system than we might be aware of? Or at least me. I went to the track today and the weather conditions were almost perfect. The temp. was 50 deg. all day and the humidity was between 50% and 60%. That was 15 deg. colder than last week and there was no head wind as there was then. This temp. allowed me to run an increase of boost to 26# in first and second and then it scaled back to 24#
in third. It makes me think that possibly the decrease in intake temps. at 90 deg. might be linear at 50 deg. also. Is that possible? Is the engine seeing maybe a 30 deg. intake charge with the alcohol? I may be in way over my head on this one. Anyway here are the results: 1.54 60 ft., 7.25@94.33, and 11.45@115.99. The second run netted a 1.50 60 ft., 7.17@94.77, and 11.37@116.35. Boy was that a ride. The last thing that was different was the installation of a RJC boost controller. That little piece of brass is unbelieveable. I thought my turbo spooled up fast but nothing like that. On the trans brake from 5# to 25# is almost uncontrolable. A different launching procedure will have to be learned.

:eek: :D

Good god youre flying with that stock turbo.You could clean up in NHRA stock eleminator if they allowed alky.

Good job:)

:eek: :eek:
Man...if your car continues to like small upgrades that well your gonna have a Tim Stockwell competition ride for sure...keep after it...CONGRATS!!!!

Funny you say that Mark- last week when Ed went 11.64, i thought it tied Tim Stockwells all time best with the stock turbo.

Sure wish Tim could chime in on this thread sometime this week and let us know what he was running back in the day.

11.37 has to be a record for a stock turbo and intercooler car correct?

Not bad for a show car:eek:

BW

Bryan, Your close, according to the preformance recipes on gnttype.org he went 11.624 and 118.07 but on different runs. Of course totally different combos at that point as everyone has their own choices to make on boltons.

Certainly Stellar results on both their parts.

Originally posted by eddc87
Julio, Is there something more going on with this alcohol system than we might be aware of? Or at least me. I went to the track today and the weather conditions were almost perfect. The temp. was 50 deg. all day and the humidity was between 50% and 60%. That was 15 deg. colder than last week and there was no head wind as there was then. This temp. allowed me to run an increase of boost to 26# in first and second and then it scaled back to 24#
in third. It makes me think that possibly the decrease in intake temps. at 90 deg. might be linear at 50 deg. also. Is that possible? Is the engine seeing maybe a 30 deg. intake charge with the alcohol? I may be in way over my head on this one.

For every degree that the intake air temp drops, the EGT drops the same amount.
The cooler the air going in means the less vaporization is going on, and your getting more atomized alky. Vaporization cools the charge, atomization resists detonation, THOU, needless to say dropping the charge temp will allow you to run more timing. It's a matter of balancing the two to get find what your car likes the most. A google for NACA papers, and in cylinder cooling is an interesting read.

awesome times and mph

Ed that is great........that rjc boost controller will speed the spool. it is really uncontrollable and mix that in with my dr's makes for a hairy ride:) ,,,congrats on the awesome times.....................Bob

I have nothing to say.. :D

Some things some times.. Way to go Mr.Fast Eddie..

116.35 MPH on a stock turbo is getting it. :eek:

Wow that is an incredible time. Congrats and keep it up. Makes me look at my mod list and be ashamed of its ET lol:D Just one question, are you 100% sure that the heads have no work done to them? Don't get me wrong even if the heads were GN1s i still think the time would be incredible. But if they are stock heads you are the man:cool: Awesome job and keep it up.

Originally posted by JDSfastGN
Wow that is an incredible time. Congrats and keep it up. Makes me look at my mod list and be ashamed of its ET lol:D Just one question, are you 100% sure that the heads have no work done to them? Don't get me wrong even if the heads were GN1s i still think the time would be incredible. But if they are stock heads you are the man:cool: Awesome job and keep it up.
I am the third owner of the car. The first owner was chrippled and drove the car only occasionally. The second owner used the car for daily transportation and to tow his Hobiecat boat. He had a ATR chip and 160 deg. thermostat that he never put in. I purchased the car with 78,000 mi. on it. It presently has 134,300 mi. on it and the heads have never been off or the motor opened up in any way except for a roller timing chain. I think that this is one reason that I have never blown a head gasket. Just too many heat cycles. I did put new valve springs 25,000 mi. ago. I also have 360 drag strip passes on this car with no failures. Knock on wood.

The 360 passes might have something to do with it:D

Heres a couple for ya.... Is the stock turbo ported? polished? do you have a billet inlet bell? stock intercooler? converter?

Your times are very impressive.

Currently my stock turbo is on and running strong. Times comming soon.

Bo:cool:

Originally posted by TT/Ameasap
The 360 passes might have something to do with it:D

Heres a couple for ya.... Is the stock turbo ported? polished? do you have a billet inlet bell? stock intercooler? converter?

Your times are very impressive.

Currently my stock turbo is on and running strong. Times comming soon.

Bo:cool:
The turbo has been port matched on both ends. I also cleaned out the casting slag from the interior as far as could reach. Not really polished. I do have a billet inlet bell and a stock intercooler with a big neck. We do this installation at DC Tech. The converter is the GSCA 3000 orange that I manually lock off the line.
Let me know when you get your car to the track. Just remember you have to push the turbos really hard to get them to produce and watch for the dreaded knock. With cool air and alcohol you can get a handle on this. GOOD LUCK.

im not sure if it was already mentioned, but were these times done on 100% methanol?

Originally posted by 87GNcospg
im not sure if it was already mentioned, but were these times done on 100% methanol?
Yes it was. According to Julio, methanol is slightly better and a lot cheaper. $2.50 a gallon around here. Whatever Julio says I follow like a lemming.

Originally posted by eddc87
Yes it was. According to Julio, methanol is slightly better and a lot cheaper. $2.50 a gallon around here. Whatever Julio says I follow like a lemming.

Slightly better :D

Cheaper ;D

I thinks its time to BRONZE the car and preserve it.. dont touch a thing.. your are the undisputed fastest stock turbo regal car in the world. And backed up. Let alone on 93 pump.

Ok.. whats next.. lets work on wheel and tire packages, a set of 1.65 roller rockers, wheel alignment, synthetic fluids in tranny and rear, aluminum driveshaft, aluminum pulleys, smaller/lighter L/U converter, put the car on a small diet...

10's here ya come :eek:

;)

Originally posted by Razor
Slightly better :D

Cheaper ;D

I thinks its time to BRONZE the car and preserve it.. dont touch a thing.. your are the undisputed fastest stock turbo regal car in the world. And backed up. Let alone on 93 pump.

Ok.. whats next.. lets work on wheel and tire packages, a set of 1.65 roller rockers, wheel alignment, synthetic fluids in tranny and rear, aluminum driveshaft, aluminum pulleys, smaller/lighter L/U converter, put the car on a small diet...

10's here ya come :eek:
Actually, what I want is leather interior.

;)