IAT best place?

TIMINATOR

Question for the go fast guys:
Where is the best place for the IAT sensor? And why?
My idea is in the up pipe, a few inches before the alky injection nozzles. That way its reading the air temp of what is actually going into the manifold, and I'm not spraying alky onto the sender, which, I believe would result in a false, lower reading.
Ideas? Comments? Alternatives?
TIMINATOR

Drill and tap the sensor into the upper plenum. Even closer to the action than the up pipe.

Tap into the plenum. You don't want it ahead of your alky nozzles, you want it after. The alky is going to drop the air temp quite a bit and you'll want to be supplying enough fuel for the air charge that's making it into the cylinder.

But you're also right, you don't want the alky nozzle spraying directly onto the sensor. It needs to be far enough away that the stuff is completely atomized already.

My IAT just dangles near where the canister would be….word I got years ago is the fuel correction wrt to iat is negligible. Please, someone who programs chips, chime in here…

Stock ecm only uses the IAT at very low temps. I believe chips ignore the sensor. FAST and other aftermarket ecms use the IAT.

Stock ecm only uses the IAT at very low temps. I believe chips ignore the sensor. FAST and other aftermarket ecms use the IAT.
Correct, modern aftermarket ECMs incorporate IAT directly into the fueling calculation. It's critical. All of them use a fueling algorithm based on the ideal gas law, to which temperature is a coequal factor with pressure, volume, and fuel load.

Most modern ecus model charge temperature based on several factors, since its not possible to measure the air temp inside the cylinder.

Usually its based on air temp and coolant temp, relative to airflow (actual or estimated). If the ecu has this model, then the sensor in the up-pipe works great. (which is where mine is)

Bob