I put 295/45/17R M/T Drag Radial on Back and Rubs.. Now What?

qws2000

Like I said in the above statement 295's on and going up the drive way it rubbed and tore up the tire... The car did not rub at all from the tire place just up drive way and only left side??? What are my options to make these tires work??

Do you have good control arms? Old, worn out bushings will allow a lot of slop in the rear.

Do you have good control arms? Old, worn out bushings will allow a lot of slop in the rear.

Which ones to do first to stop this? Have similar problem w factory arms bushings etc. Not looking to trim or roll

Lowers. I love my HR control arms. They just work great.

chuck I thnk so unless it came F ed from factory.... car has been in my family since 87

They did come messed up from the factory, and even if you straighten it out it can go back to off center. I had rub issues and then I changed my set-up to h and r. I only have 275's though. Without rolled fenders and good bushings in the back it will be next to impossible not to rub. Even after you do that stuff you may still rub too.

chuck I thnk so unless it came F ed from factory.... car has been in my family since 87

Some of the cars didn't have all the bushings in there at assy..Some fell out, as the assy line monkeys didn't tighten the bolts.
My 86 has/had 4 of them missing from the factory..[The top 1/2's were gone.]

The thing is I bought the rims with 275/45zr/17's Nittio"s but it is a 26 inch tire and looked a little small in the well.. Another question would be why does it only rub on drivers side???? I am so pissed the tire is shot... 270 buks in the toilet

Often the rear is not on center from the factory. Also the right rear squats harder on a launch. It's the way it torques when you mash the pedal. Your springs can also be a little weak over time despite the mileage. The smaller the tire height the less it will sway side to side, but if you have 26 year old rubber in the bushings it will allowa lot of side to side movement. Box those control arms and replace the bushings, or spring for an upgrade. Did you rub with the 275's? or only the 295's? Like I said I rubbed with 275's and rolled wells until I replaced the rear components. Also this gentlemen rents the roller - http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/eastwood-fender-roller-for-rent.198366/page-12. I haven't read about an issue with its performance yet.

Edit: Really, we have grammar nazis now? I missed one space. :wtf:

Last edited:
It's probably rubbing only on the left side because your on the left side while your driving it, I would bet both would rub if you had a buddy in the passenger side....

Rolling the fender lips isn't too bad of a job but rolling the wheel well trim with it can be a pain..

Also something not mentioned yet is Back Spacing, what is yours?

just rent the rolling tool from the guy on the board here. I have the same tires, you also need to check your bushings like they said above

Updated; To the current story, The car did rub when I picked up the car.... The problem is I told the guy doing the car to put the old tires 275/45r/17 on the side with some other parts and I would pick them up the next day... The owner put all -the parts plus the old rear tires in the trunk... So when I left the wheel well tore up the tire... When I opened the trunk and took everything out, and of course now the car doesn't rub. It is very tight still, What can I do coil overs, Bags, springs.
Scott, the back spacing is 4.5

I'm running 295's, except on 15 inch rims with 4.5 backspacing. Yes, very close indeed. I run air bags inside the coils and have no issues as long as I have at least 10 psi in the bags. I did have some rubbing when driving on a very rough road that was under construction. I used a carbide tool on a high speed drill and gently grinded about 3/8 inch away from the fender lips and wheel well trim. After which I de-burred then painted. The majority of the metal was removed directly above the wheel, then tapered off as I went away from that point. It took maybe 45 minutes each side. If you take your hand and feel along my fender lips, you cannot tell that they were modded.