I need help understanding knock relative to more power

fwiw when my blue car ran a string of 11.0's letting off at the eighth netted 11.70's. So it dropped .7 staying in it for the full pass.

You can run an alky kit without an alky chip unless your chip isn't adjustable and you don't have any way of adding more fuel.

You can run an alky kit without an alky chip unless your chip isn't adjustable and you don't have any way of adding more fuel.

That brings me to my next question, I don't know anything about the Red 93 chip. Is anything adjustable on it? What's the fuel pressure supposed to be set at idle line off? I can't find any info on reds chips on this forum or anywhere else for that matter...I guess it doesn't matter considering I don't ever get to drive the car anyway :(. It'll probably have the next TT chip, ALKY and 60lb injectors by the next time I've got a min to drive it.

TurboTweek recommends 43#'s fuel pressure with vacuum line off. I'm running 45#'s on my car. Don't know about Red's equipment. I've never been able to find any I'net reference for Red's parts.

Taken from TT's web-site.
- I calibrate the chips at 43psi fuel pressure, but feel free to adjust it for your car if necessary, although you normally should not need to change it. If you have to go further than +/- 5psi from 43, then there may be something else wrong.

~JM~

43lbs with the line of seems to be what works for the most part. Just curious, how much boost are you trying to run?

In your sig its says your going fast. Why not just wait until you have that rather than waisting money on chips. If thats a ways down the road you should just get one of erics chips, 60's, and the alky

fwiw when my blue car ran a string of 11.0's letting off at the eighth netted 11.70's. So it dropped .7 staying in it for the full pass.

sounds like you had a poorly coupling convertor. My suggestion is a PTC n/l 9.5;)

43lbs with the line of seems to be what works for the most part. Just curious, how much boost are you trying to run?

Honestly I'm trying to run as much boost as possibe, then when I exhaust whatever part that's at it's full potential then I want to replace it with something better and keep doing that until it seems too fast. I know that sounds kinda dumb but I'm not happy with how fast it is right now.

That's really what this whole thread was supposed to be about...what I have a problem with is understanding-if I put a te-45A or a 6262 or something noticeably bigger on it how much boost could I run with out KR? And once I start seeing KR what do I do to make more power with out tearing up my motor? Maybe I'm not asking the right question-and if anyone gets what I'm saying step in and help me state my question better.

Should KR be my biggest concern?

I found this article that helps, I guess with my injectors, ALKY and chip I'll buy the RJC power plate, and the Evans Cooling Systems waterless coolant.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/tech/0904gmhtp_how_to_eliminate_knock_retard/index.html

In your sig its says your going fast. Why not just wait until you have that rather than waisting money on chips. If thats a ways down the road you should just get one of erics chips, 60's, and the alky

I want to buy FAST XFI, and the price isn't a big deal but for a street car that I just want to go fast on the weekends is it worth the $2,000? For a car that's going to be driven on the street and MAYBE go to the track every once and awhile should I do FAST, or a MAF Translator Pro? The reason I ask is because I just don't know if I'll benefit from XFI as I do not tune cars or want to mess with it that often just want it to run good and be reliable.

Grumpy- I don't know what you mean? What do you mean on the line?

A bigger turbo isn't going to help any unless you can turn it up. Not gonna be able to do much at this point on pump gas. I wouldn't run it on the edge either. Make sure the basics are good (iac, tps, blm) and set it to 15-17psi and leave it alone. Need some octane to run more boost, and boost is what makes power.

I would stay with a chip if your not much of a tuner. I'm currently running a chip but thats only because i'm saving for the xfi and my car is a 99% street car, but i love to tune on my car.

As far as your question about knock, which SHOULD be your biggest concern when learning these cars; changing the turbo alone won't allow you to run much more boost. What will allow you to run more boost is what was stated earlier in either using race gas or an alky system.

If i were you i would first spend ALOT of time searching this forum and also you can get ahold of nick micale, hartline, otto, or cottons and just tell them everything about your car and ask for their advise.

The OP never said what he was turning his boost up from and what boost it started knocking at.
Just curious.
D

what I have a problem with is understanding-if I put a te-45A or a 6262 or something noticeably bigger on it how much boost could I run with out KR? And once I start seeing KR what do I do to make more power with out tearing up my motor?

in short...you start at low boost, then you increase the boost until you get knock....then you add fuel...then you turn up the boost little at a time...then you add fuel...then boost. The point around 17psi on pump gas alone is where your most likely going to hit a wall and the only way over that wall is more octane, either by alky or race gas, and for a more street driven vehicle id go with the alky kit. you could go with lower timing to run more boost but that wouldnt help making power.

What boost and fuel are you running now?
What boost do you see the knock?
What rpm are you showing knock?
what are your o2 numbers when it is showing knock?
If I understand right , you have a RA chip burnt for the 44lbs injectors, most of Reds stuff runs a little rich, and at moderate boost levels of 15 to 17 psi you should be good.

Grumpy, the car isn't sluggish at anytime, it runs really good...I just want to go faster.

What boost and fuel are you running now?
What boost do you see the knock?
What rpm are you showing knock?
what are your o2 numbers when it is showing knock?
If I understand right , you have a RA chip burnt for the 44lbs injectors, most of Reds stuff runs a little rich, and at moderate boost levels of 15 to 17 psi you should be good.

Right now I'm running 93 and about 18psi, I am seeing knock at 20psi
Not sure on the RPM, I'm going to fix my tach today
The o2 numbers are in the very high 700's 785-795