I let the smoke out

Roger

Actually a friend let the smoke out. He hasn't been driving his GN for a while, his headliner is sagging.

When warming up the GN at idle speed in the carport, smoke came out from under the hood. Investigating the issue, he found the transmission cooler lines to be glowing bright red. Later after letting it cool, he was unable to find any charring during a visual inspection.

What could be the issue?

He purchased the GN new & has about 40k miles on it, however he hasn't driven it for an extended period of time.

Thx

Check the main powers and grounds. It sounds like everything is trying to ground through the trans cooler lines.

Check the main powers and grounds. It sounds like everything is trying to ground through the trans cooler lines.

Thanks for your quick reply.

I feel stupid not thinking of grounds. These cars are infamous grounding problems, I have Caspers ground extender kit on my TR.

My buddy agrees to check grounds. He is having a time issue problem & hopes to check it out when his wife is home from hospital.
:eek:

also make sure that the trans lines are not hitting the studs on the starter solenoid or rubbing thru the positive cable..

Bob

also while he is checking out his tranny lines tell him to check them out for chaffing.

my 103,000 mile turbo t had a hole worn in them from the rubbing toghther, they were replaced by a vendor on here he did the work and i parted the car out over the winter and the way this guy had them routed they did the exact same thing with about 20,000 miles on them.

so while hes down there check it out . i know its not his problem but i thought i would mention it