I have a true story to tell. How I lost my GN @ Gbodyparts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then i truly apologize i was under the impression you were'nt insured. I truly hope the best for both party's.. this really sucks :confused:

Question: Were the visors and all plastic parts, and wiring removed from there prior to cutting / welding? I had all mine fixed, but that was with all the interior, wiring, and windshield removed. That heat could have easily melted and grounded out one of the power wires for the interior lights that run through the a pillar, not to mention melt the seal on the windshield.

I believe anyone has a right to bring whatever they want to up for debate.

Gbody parts is a huge vendor and I have ordered, as many others, A LOT from them, I want to know who I am ordering from.

And if people start wagon jumping and ganging up on people, throwing their "message count weight", that is unfair.

The directly related parties should be able to answer for each other and defend.

I just got off the phone with Brian, and the fire inspector's report shows the cause of the fire to be a wiring issue, NOT the weld area catching fire after sitting for 1/2 an hour?

The law does not automatically make him responsible, but you MUST prove he was at fault, or you will also be paying for his legal defense, especially if you had been working on your car's wiring in his shop just before the fire? :)

I did have a conversation with Brian just after the fire, and he was very willing to help you with this "accident", but after 2 years he would probably still offer some help, but after this public "cry for help" you expect him to just fix your mess, or you want to be vindictive and bring public pressure to help you now?

If I was Brian, I would say "bring it on", as you had your chance 2 years ago.

Since you did not state you HAD insurance and all this could have been avoided, you have confirmed my statement above, this is YOUR fault, not my opinion.

The time that's passed is because I have been patient in hopes that Brian would come around and see that he is responsible. I have no problem with your comments, but you are also making untrue accusations. You suggest that I worked on wiring in his shop before the fire but I did not. My car was there to receive the installation of the Stainless T-Top metal parts. That's what was being done. I was not uninsured. I am not an illegal driver. My car had legal liability insurance coverage. I've already stated that upon completion the car was to be appraised for an 'Agreed Value' policy. Brian told me he had insurance. He specifically said that he didn't want to file this against his insurance because of the rate increase it would cause. Had he told me that he was uninsured I would have either acquired a more complete policy or taken my vehicle to a different, insured shop. The report you refer to would actually help my case if legal action had to be taken. He was arc welding on my car, he should have had the battery disconnected.

Why hasn't the shop's insurance paid for the damages? Why should the customer be responsible for something that happened under the vendor's care? A job was agreed upon and it was not fulfilled.

As far as a wiring issue goes..... This car was driven from New Orleans to Bowling Green Ky., then to North Carolina. Wouldn't you think said wiring issue would have burned it to the ground during that long journey? Why was Brian Weaver welding on a car WITHOUT the battery disconnected?? Is this how business is done at GBodyparts?

In all respect this thread should be closed or just between brian and nasty. People coming in and giving their 2 cents is just going to make it worse. The above post about welding is true.Anyone that does not disconnect the battery cables should not be welding on car until then.Or install a surge protector on the battery. I weld on trucks just about every day and I always use a surge protector .This is just a bad deal all around ad I hope it gets worked out

In all respect this thread should be closed or just between brian and nasty. People coming in and giving their 2 cents is just going to make it worse. The above post about welding is true.Anyone that does not disconnect the battery cables should not be welding on car until then.Or install a surge protector on the battery. I weld on trucks just about every day and I always use a surge protector .This is just a bad deal all around ad I hope it gets worked out

Wendy gave him two years to resolve it, apparently he didn't.

Wendy gave him two years to resolve it, apparently he didn't.

It sucks for both of them . This sucks because the business insurance would have covered this back then not now. nasty does not need his insurance involved at all.Call the insurance and they will tell you the same thing.when car is in for service the service center is responsible. I worked at Midas back in 89 and I did burn a 87 monti ss. I felt like a idiot.I cut out front shocks and one of the rubber bushings fell down in frame and there was an oil leak from valve cover.I was in the office when the customer started yelling that there was smoke. Long story short Midas payed for repairs. was not as bad as Nastys car but under the hood was cooked .I will have to admit Brian didnt need this on top of everything else that he has going on. This just sucks.

It should be between them and as was stated before Brian had 2 years to step up so both could come to a compromise and solve this problem. I do however like when members of our community post threads like this because it gives us information on how some conduct business. We have such a tight community which to me I feel sometimes is like a second family where specific members have worked with as a close friend or a family member would do and we for a lack of a better term have "watch eachother's backs" and threads like these help us know the reputation of shops and members.

On the flip side it goes back to the old addage when a good ineraction occurs we may tell a few people but if a bad interaction occurs we may tell many. And I must say I have never had any work done by Brian but he has given me great advice and has done a great job from a customers perspective on the retail side of his company.

Im curious if Brian will respond because as they always say there are two sides to every story. Now I may have missed this so forgive me if I have but was the battery disconnected when Brian was welding or did one of us just give an example of how welding could have led to an electrical fire? If it wasn't disconnected then Brian is at fault and I would hope he would step up and take responsibility.

Lastly as was said before with how many miles Nasty drove from NO to KY to NC if it was a wiring issue prior to pulling it into Brian's shop then from all the bumps and movment during the drive would most likely have caused some sort of an issue even if it was a very faint smell of electrical burning and its EXTREMELY unlikely that while sitting at a dead stop while not running that it would all of a sudden cause a fire. And the fact that Nasty said every time they hit the welder a fire popped up somewhere seems ptetty clear cut that it had something to do with the welding work that was being done.

Small side note, Brian would have paid cheaper for the rise in insurance costs then the legal fees and loss of business that will happen if at the it is decided Brian was at fault. Just my .02
Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

looking at the pics, i see that the interior is still in the car... it would be an easy thing for a spark to fall down where it can't be seen and grow into a fire when no one's looking..
regardless of the law, common sense says that the car started on fire after he was welding on it while the car was in his care so he should have to fix it.

i'd love to see how the fire department decided that it was an electrical fire that was caused by the aftermarket stuff- did they see a bunch of non-factory wires that didn't have any insulation on them after they had been in a fire and say "AH HA! there's the problem. those wires don't have any insulation!!", or were they perhaps trying to help out a local guy by making it not his fault, even tho the car had made it hundreds of miles and sat in the shop for a week without any other problems being caused by it?

it would be interesting to hear the other side of the story, because that's the only way to know what kind of info might have been left out or what was seen differently from the person with the burnt car..

Even during the grinding you can see the car wasn't fully covered. Door panel looks exposed and looks like a plastic drop cloth.. not surprised it's going down the way it is. Good luck with it

My initial thought too.... but only works if Wendy had full coverage.

You are incorrect. You would only need to have comprehensive coverage for this to be covered. Liability and collision wouldnt come into play here.

You are incorrect. You would only need to have comprehensive coverage for this to be covered. Liability and collision wouldnt come into play here.
'Fire and Theft' is what my agent calls it when I put the car in storage for the winter. = compehensive coverage

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.