I AM IN NEED OF SOME DIRE HELP!!!

In regards to the charging system, does your volt light on the dash come on when you turn the key to the on position? If that light burns out the alternator will not charge the battery. Pretty easy fix if that is the problem.

mearly65 said:
Just for my own education, how is a .42 TPS at idle fine? Wouldn't that translate into around .38 or so with key on, engine off?

.42 at idle is just about perfect. You could set it to .35 at idle and it would still idle fine. When the engine fires up, the ECU looks at the voltage coming from the TPS and stores that value as the "idle value". When the ECU sees a voltage higher than the idle voltage, it knows that you are pushing the throttle.

However, the maximum voltage that the TPS can be with the engine idling is 0.45 volts. If it's set to a value higher than 0.45, the ECU programming will not interpret the gas pedal as being completely released, and it will not go into its idle control routine.

However again, you want your idle TPS voltage to be as high as possible, because that adjustment will get the TPS voltage as high as possible under WOT. This will ensure that the ECU goes into power enrichment, etc. when it should.

Best thing to do is get the TPS to be about 0.40 to 0.42 volts with key on engine off. When the car is started, it will be about 0.42 to 0.44 volts, which is perfect. Just make sure the TPS goes back down below 0.45 volts every time you blip the throttle. If it's occasionally sticking above 0.45 volts when you release the throttle, idle problems will result.

Explanation is a bit simplified, but should illustrate the point.

Hope this helps...

Mike
Sent from my HTC Droid Incredible using Turbo Buick

Thanks Mike. Perfect explanation. On my car l set the tps to .42 with key on, engine off. At idle it's always at .46. Should l drop it to .40 with the engine off so it will be around .44 at idle?

mearly65 said:
Thanks Mike. Perfect explanation. On my car l set the tps to .42 with key on, engine off. At idle it's always at .46. Should l drop it to .40 with the engine off so it will be around .44 at idle?

I would drop it so that at idle, the reading is 0.44.

On my car, the TPS volts always go up by .02 volts when I start the engine. So, if I set it to .42 with the engine off, it will jump to .44 with the engine on. Interesting that yours is jumping by .04.

Mike
Sent from my HTC Droid Incredible using Turbo Buick