Hypertech 424012 Chip

ram1984

I just checked the chip in my 84 T Type and found it is the Hypertech 424 012. I have seen some negative comments about this chip. How does it differ from the stock chip? I looked on their web site and they still sell this chip but don't list any information on it.

Thanks

The difference between chips is less important than how the car runs with the chip.

If the car runs fine, leave it.
If it doesn't, Turbotweak is your source.

What ECM and combo?

Car runs ok unless I floor it then it pings really bad and looses power until I back off.

Not good.
There is a write up in sticky to verify a number things regarding KR. Have a look and let us know what you find.

Thanks. I will look for it. I am new to turbo buick's and bought this car as a project. I have no history on the engine except that the PO said it was rebuilt and it is painted a different color than stock. It runs fine at part throttle and idles well. I think I have a long list of things to look into. Should I switch to a stock chip to establish a base line?

Impossible to answer until you know exactly what condition everything is in, and what the combination of parts is. You also need data to make the right decisions. Post your location and see if someone will look it over for a few beers.

Good idea. I am in Reston Virginia outside of Washington DC. Anyone in the area that can offer me some help would be appreciated. I would also like any suggestions on a shop in the area that works on these cars.

Thanks

I am in Virgina 23846 about 2 2.5 hours from Reston. 84's are best when ran on 86-87 ECM and a scanmaster installed. My contact info is in my sig reach out if you want to visit for assistance. Thanks