Hydroboost upgrade help

alwndup

I have a leaking Powermaster and I thought it's a good time for an upgrade. I did a vacuum conversion on my previous 87 and I didn't like it much, although I did really like the way my 84 felt.

The problem that I have run into is that the Cardone 52-7211 hydroboost is out of stock everywhere and I don't want to buy an expensive CCP kit. There are several part numbers available for different applications, but do you guys know if another unit is a direct bolt on?

Where we get ours.
Great guy to deal with.
Does he include the hoses / instructions? Looks like a nice set up and better alternative over vacuum conversions.

This may not be everything, but you can piece it together if you want.
1982 corvette master cylinder (or aftermarket like wilwood).
Stock 84/85 pressure lines, the bend in the connection to the pump has to be tweaked.
You can modify the stock reservoir with a bulkhead fitting, I chose a PSC reservoir with separate steering and brake returns. Don't do a T into the return (my opinion).
PSC requires fittings, add to list.
Get booster right side up configuration.
Pump is a little more noisy, not a lot. It can modded to reduce the whine, but generally not bad.
Firewall gasket.

I originally t'd into the stock reservoir return and that was noisy. I bought a used booster and I think the same guy Chuck linked also offers a bracket and rod kit to convert the booster for the Buick, can't remember. I bought a used booster from an Astro van, and I was able to do the initial conversion for about $350. The PSC reservoir was around $300. Before the current inflation numbers obviously.

There is some work involved, but it is very straight forward, watch the youtube videos, they give a good idea of what is involved.

Sorry, I don't have any links. I did mine awhile ago.

If I need to replace my booster anytime, I am going to the source Chuck linked.

1665866247315.png

Does he include the hoses / instructions? Looks like a nice set up and better alternative over vacuum conversions.
He has the tool to put the correct mount on the unit and will sell it ready to bolt on.
We make our own hoses.
Get a good reservoir.
I did tests on the HB on my 55 as the metric system was totally unacceptable.
The HB would put 2100psi to the calipers! Versus 700 with an 8"dbl diaphragm.
Also, with that psi, it's a good idea to get some pads that will live!

He has the tool to put the correct mount on the unit and will sell it ready to bolt on.
We make our own hoses.
Get a good reservoir.
I did tests on the HB on my 55 as the metric system was totally unacceptable.
The HB would put 2100psi to the calipers! Versus 700 with an 8"dbl diaphragm.
Also, with that psi, it's a good idea to get some pads that will live!
Awesome! I've been researching and HB seems like a great upgrade. I drive my car on street alot and it needs to stop quicker. I'm not really overly happy with the current Vacuum set up. It works good but It would be better suited for a stockish type car in my opinion. The current acceleration rate far exceeds the stopping capability. Planning to upgrade the brakes as well. Thinking about Wilwood....

Do you replace the reservoir all together? In regards to the lines are you able to make another set?

PS: Chuck, I really liked your injector cleaning service. Noticable improvement!!! Thank you!!

I'll take a look at those. Currently running the Performance Friction pads in the front. S10 wheel cylinders in rear with two long shoes. It stops decently however 130 MPH stops are a bit of a challenge. Our local track also has a very short shutdown area. Had some close encounters on street as well.

Attachments

• IMG_20221016_135620754_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221016_135620754_HDR.jpg
    587.7 KB · Views: 71
I'll take a look at those. Currently running the Performance Friction pads in the front. S10 wheel cylinders in rear with two long shoes. It stops decently however 130 MPH stops are a bit of a challenge. Our local track also has a very short shutdown area. Had some close encounters on street as well.
I have factory brakes other than the hydroboost, it will stop at least once very quickly. The factory stuff is certainly not up for a road course, but with the hydroboost it will emergency stop very well.

I have factory brakes other than the hydroboost, it will stop at least once very quickly. The factory stuff is certainly not up for a road course, but with the hydroboost it will emergency stop very well.
Sound like a viable option and something to consider. I do sometimes get into a hotlap situation at the drag strip but probably spaced out enough to be fine. I'm killing the factory style (performance friction) pads pretty quick as is. And on occasion I use both pedals at the big end to ensure I win the race. I'm not exactly easy on the brakes:)

I’ve switched to the HB and psc reservoir put a wilwood master an calipers but they keep locking up on me. They actually got so hot last night that they cracked my rotors. I found out too that the factory wheels don’t fit over the wilwoods

Attachments

• 945348D4-6DAD-4E42-9CE4-A0AA51F1B6E5.jpg
    945348D4-6DAD-4E42-9CE4-A0AA51F1B6E5.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 78
I’ve switched to the HB and psc reservoir put a wilwood master an calipers but they keep locking up on me. They actually got so hot last night that they cracked my rotors. I found out too that the factory wheels don’t fit over the wilwoods
Either pressure is trapped or the calipers are binding. My brakes work flawless.

Either pressure is trapped or the calipers are binding. My brakes work flawless.
Yea I bleed them and they free up for a bit and then lock up again. My steering pump it leaking pretty bad now so I’m going to upgrade it along with the lines and see how it does afterwards

New lines from frame to calipers?
Are you sure the pedal is coming all the way back up after a braking event? I've had an mc that grabbed the actuator on the hb unit and didn't let it back up.
Frame valve in good working condition. I had it get all cruddy inside and the rears would lock up. Might be biasing to the front on yours and creating drag.

Kinda spit balling here. Let us know how you get it solved. One of us is never as smart as all of us.

New lines from frame to calipers?
Are you sure the pedal is coming all the way back up after a braking event? I've had an mc that grabbed the actuator on the hb unit and didn't let it back up.
Frame valve in good working condition. I had it get all cruddy inside and the rears would lock up. Might be biasing to the front on yours and creating drag.

Kinda spit balling here. Let us know how you get it solved. One of us is never as smart as all of us.
Yeah I got the Russell lines but I’m going to get into it soon and let y’all know what it turned out to be

Looks like you guys grabbed my attention on this post for sure. Just blew my stock booster, and in desperate need of an upgrade. Was never a fan of vacuum, and cant find the cardone 52-7211 anywhere. I make my own lines as well, so this should be a pretty direct install, assuming I pick the right cylinder.

The pic.........again, since the crash appears to make the original unavailable.
HB on Buick 001.jpg
HB on Buick 002.jpg
HB on Buick 003.jpg

I Added the Wilwood 14012099R D154 TWO PISTON front caliper kit to my hydroboost system about $440.00
I see a big improvement over the stock caliper

Attachments

• Engine 2.jpg
    Engine 2.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 64
Drilled and slotted rotors with the Wilwood caliper and will still fit a 15' rim
Currently have 17" rims

Attachments

• Wilwood 1.jpg
    Wilwood 1.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 50
@conn84gn Do you have a picture of how you mounted your PSC reservoir? I'm getting ready to install mine but haven't decided where to attach it.