HydroBoost Power-steering/brake leak, any hints?

FlaBoy

Just a good ole boy...
Hey guys,

My car has a steadily-increasing leak from the power-steering/hydroboost system that has gotten to the point of becoming a real issue. I have my car laid up to do some much needed work and figured I'd try and tackle this while I'm at it. I have no idea where the leak is coming from, and was hoping you guys could help out. All i know at this point is the reservoir level drops pretty steadily, and all that fluid has to be going SOMEWHERE. My plan is to get the area all degreased and cleaned up, start the car, and try and carefully watch to see where any drips/runs are originating. I know from experience however that this can be a very tedious process, so was hoping you guys who have messed with this before can direct me to any problem areas (particular hoses/flanges/seals that are known problem areas or common points of failure, the old "well 90% of the time if you have a pwr steering leak in a hydroboost car its coming from ___________" type of stuff).

Oh and just to be clear if I wasn't already, I'm talking about the hydroboost hydraulic power brake setup used stock in the 84 and some 85 (like mine) GNs, not the powermaster or aftermarket hydroboost retrofit setup (in case that is substantially different from the stock setup). thanks for any help guys!

If you are leaking hydraulic fluid :confused: . . . . . Mine was leaking from the seal in the back of the HB, towards the firewall.
No real way to repair it yourself. Replaced it with an AutoZ*** unit about 9 years ago and so far, so good. :cool:

Shortly after that, the brake fluid was leaking in the back of the master cylinder where it bolts on to the HB.
Rebuild the master cylinder and that did not hold up.
Ended up with a new master cylinder from NAP*.
No problmes with that either.

PS: I HATE brake system work . . . . the brake fluid is nasty stuff!

If you are leaking hydraulic fluid :confused: . . . . .

Yep, its the hydraulic (power-steering) fluid that is leaking. So far as I can tell the brake system itself is fine (master cylinder is relatively new, new lines, no leaks).

Mine was leaking from the seal in the back of the HB, towards the firewall.

Do you mean the actual hydroboost booster unit, mounted between the brake master cylinder and the firewall?

You can get a dye that you use with a black light to find the leak. NAPA and several other places have it in stock most of the time.:)

Yep, its the hydraulic (power-steering) fluid that is leaking. ........... Do you mean the actual hydroboost booster unit, mounted between the brake master cylinder and the firewall?

Yes, the actual HB unit. It leaked in the back and dripped down the firewall.
Unless it is leaking at one of the hoes, the complete unit needs to be replaced (Minus the mastercylinder of course). The most "fun" was the R&R at the brake pedal . . . :mad: ............... Ahhhhh, the memories! :tongue:

you can get a hydraboost rebuild kit from http://www.piratejack.net , which is what i did a couple of years ago when i got sick of the constant leakage of PS fluid from the rear of the hydraboost unit that got all over the bottom of the car and emptied the reservoir every 1000 miles or so.
the kit they sell isn't quite "right" for our stock boosters, but it works and it only took me a couple of hours to remove, rebuild, reinstall, and bleed the unit on my car.