HydroBoost P/S Fluid Temperature

86we2

This is a question for the members running HydroBoost set-up on 86/87,s, what temperatures are you seeing with your HB set-up, fluid and HB unit itself with and without cooler. I just installed mine on my 87 GN and I think my temps are to high everything works good steering & braking, haven't hook-up my cooler yet but was wondering what others are seeing.

I ended up installing a De Rale frame mount cooler on lower edge of rad support to help lower the temps.
I also changed my PS fluid to a synthetic fluid made by Sweet Mfg which will withstand higher temps .
It’s much better now.
As I recall think my fluid temps were running close to 200deg F prior to these changes

Here’s a pic , I used AN fittings & push lok hose

Attachments

• 2C65F8EC-88C6-4AB8-8881-4DB9DC4790DC.jpeg
    2C65F8EC-88C6-4AB8-8881-4DB9DC4790DC.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 83
Is that the 24" cooler? On the 2 test runs I did after i installed the HB set-up (10 & 20 miles) I was seeing about 180°F, 90°+ day with a/c on but I thought that was to high. The cooler I just installed is only about 12" also mounted at bottom of rad support, find out tomorrow how much it helps. Don't understand why the temps are so high.

No , not 24” model, I don’t recall but think it’s about 17” long.
I also installed a PSC (Power Steering Components) PS reservoir made for HydroBoost which has an internal filter & also increased fluid capacity & reduces cavitation dramatically .
Both these help to reduce the fluid temperature .

Here is the PSC PS reservoir with AN fittings

Attachments

• 5FAA80C3-2A3A-466B-B1D2-A0FC453A29AE.jpeg
    5FAA80C3-2A3A-466B-B1D2-A0FC453A29AE.jpeg
    55.7 KB · Views: 76
The original 86 turbo p/s res was too small and caused the oil to boil.
The vapors were all over the engine, ruined the hood liner. All this on my new 86 T Type.
A local Buick tech started changing to a larger OEM tank. AIRC, from a full size Buick.
No more issues.
I've installed several hb units and have not seen the hot oil issue.
I'm not familiar with the earlier Buick oem hb units. How were they set up?
Aftermarket plumbing of the return line can cause issues,

1KWIKSIX what temps are you seeing after you upgrades? After my cooler hook up and switch to GM P/S Fluid (recommended by Elliott at Custom Powere Brakes) I'm seeing about 135° to 140°. I,m thinking I might try to lower pump pressure, I can see fluid temp raise with car just sitting idling no brakes applied or steering turned, might be to much pressure.

1KWIKSIX what temps are you seeing after you upgrades? After my cooler hook up and switch to GM P/S Fluid (recommended by Elliott at Custom Powere Brakes) I'm seeing about 135° to 140°. I,m thinking I might try to lower pump pressure, I can see fluid temp raise with car just sitting idling no brakes applied or steering turned, might be to much pressure.
How do you lower the pump pressure? I do have hydroboost and my car starts to whine after it warms up and if I drive it hard my power steering fluid will start to squirt out the the little hole on top of the power steering reservoir.

I buy my HB's from Elliot.
He does a great job.
I did some tests about 10 yrs ago, concerning the poor brakes on my 55 Chevy.
8" dbl booster, 1.125" mc, Wilwood prop valve, the Buick size disc conversion, LS engine and FEA.
Engine vac was about 12".
Pressure at the wheels was a lousy 800#. That was MAX.
Elliot's HB and it was 2100#. :oops:
Obviously too much, as I toasted pads and rotors during the testing.
The Borgeson kit dropped it several 100#. I just had to adjust my pedal pressure and the ft to rear balance.

Chuck what fluid temps are you seeing with your set-up?
I didn't check temps. The OEM tank I used was the larger version that GM put on in 86, when they found oil boiling. Which my 86 T did. Once the oil boil was corrected, I did no further tests on temps.

So I recently did a HB conversation with psc reservoir and after driving it a bit and I believe I overfilled it it got super hot possibly boiling and went everywhere. I took the lowered the fluid but the power steering pump is whining now. Could it be that I need a new pump or try to adjust the pressure as I read here?

Change your fluid to Sweet Mfg as suggested previously .
If your PS pump hasn’t been optimized for HB, that could also be a component of the problem . PSC , Turn One Steering, Lee pumps can all look after your needs on the pump .
I also installed a valve from PSC that connects to the reservoir which helps to reduce overflow .
I will try to dig up some more info on this but it’s primarily used in HB systems used in off road vehicles

Change your fluid to Sweet Mfg as suggested previously .
If your PS pump hasn’t been optimized for HB, that could also be a component of the problem . PSC , Turn One Steering, Lee pumps can all look after your needs on the pump .
I also installed a valve from PSC that connects to the reservoir which helps to reduce overflow .
I will try to dig up some more info on this but it’s primarily used in HB systems used in off road vehicles
The pump is whining pretty bad I might just see about just replacing. Any suggestions on that?
I also have the Wilwood proportion valve and wondering about how to hook that up, do I remove the old brass one or hook up to that?

The pump is whining pretty bad I might just see about just replacing. Any suggestions on that?
I also have the Wilwood proportion valve and wondering about how to hook that up, do I remove the old brass one or hook up to that?
Here’s the valve I am talking about , I have one set up in my HB system.

Yes, you need to remove the factories stock proportioning valve if you’re gonna run the Wilwood one, you cannot have 2 proportioning valves installed
You’ll have to do some brake line plumbing to do this .

Attachments

• BDA31047-059C-426E-A7A1-C38C1ECC0AFC.jpeg
    BDA31047-059C-426E-A7A1-C38C1ECC0AFC.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 57
Contact PSC & ask for a reverse rotation Saginaw PS pump for a Grand National , should be mimimim 1500psi output.
I sent my pump to Junior at Turn One Steering in Michigan to optimize for HB.
They set it up to produce 1800psi and approx 2.9gpm output.
Stock PS Pump only puts out about 1200psi

Contact PSC & ask for a reverse rotation Saginaw PS pump for a Grand National , should be mimimim 1500psi output.
I sent my pump to Junior at Turn One Steering in Michigan to optimize for HB.
They set it up to produce 1800psi and approx 2.9gpm output.
Stock PS Pump only puts out about 1200psi
Nice setup! So you ordered a new ps pump and sent it in to be rebuild?