Hydroboost conversion ?s

BIG HEAD CHRIS

I'm contemplating doing this,but I'M CHEAP!!I know the pumps are also used on other stuff,But what?What stuff should I be looking for?I hear the junkyard a calling!Thanks,Chris

Great conversion.... I'm cheap too...

You can use an Astro minivan hydroboost... early 90's vintage.... and piece the hoses together....

I'll find tinman's post.... he did it.... I'm doing something similar....

Here it is:

Tin Man's HB Thread

Only difference... is I plan on using the factory replacement lines for a 85 GN.... that came with HB......the HB to steering GB should be a direct swap.... the power steering pump to HB will be slightly different.... but I have been told with some tweaking... it will work.... then you just have to tee into the return back to the reservoir.

HTH

Just finished it on my 67 GTO.
One rebuilt hydro unit from a mid 80's Chevy truck $99, two brand new hoses from same $55.
Replaced o-ring fittings with double flare on bottom end of hoses myself $0.
Ready to test.

Attachments

• DSCN5136 (Large).JPG
    DSCN5136 (Large).JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 618
Guilty Judge.
I am sorry, Sir.
But, old hot rodders can't help themselves.
It's in our blood.

Chris

Since I know you have skills---fab. an extra port in the resevior for the return off the Hyd. boost. I was having some brake drag issues (S-10 brake swap). That extra port helped in my case. I believe the return off the power steering was overriding the return off the hyd. boost not letting the pedal return fully..

Thanks Lee,

I was thinking about that. I was gonna test it first to see if that residual problem would make itself known, but in looking at my '05 Tahoe with the setup on it, the spit line from the Hydroboost has a connection directly to the side of the pump tower, about 1 1/2 in down from the filler cap location.
About where my thumb is in this picture. Wouldn't even have to take the pump out, with careful thinking.....

DSCN5132Large.jpg

easy_button.jpg

Gotta be a good reason, probably just what you mentioned. Just didn't want to do that yet till I'm 100% certain I'm gonna like it. Haven't road tested yet, waiting for no rain, since it ain't got no windshield in it. Mind you, I'm 99.4% now!
Thanks, sharp eye.
Charles

Yes

Thanks Lee,

I was thinking about that. I was gonna test it first to see if that residual problem would make itself known, but in looking at my '05 Tahoe with the setup on it, the spit line from the Hydroboost has a connection directly to the side of the pump tower, about 1 1/2 in down from the filler cap location.
About where my thumb is in this picture. Wouldn't even have to take the pump out, with careful thinking.....

DSCN5132Large.jpg

easy_button.jpg

Gotta be a good reason, probably just what you mentioned. Just didn't want to do that yet till I'm 100% certain I'm gonna like it. Haven't road tested yet, waiting for no rain, since it ain't got no windshield in it. Mind you, I'm 99.4% now!
Thanks, sharp eye.
Charles

My car being an 85 had Hyd. Boost from the factory. If I remember right it had an extra nipple for the return off the hyd. boost unit. And yes keep it as high as possible. Best brakes out there for the price!!!!!!!

Our pal Kip is doing fine..He should just now be finishing up with his annual 37 days of christmas by the end of the weekend,so theres a chance he'll resurface this week!