Hydroboost Conversion Questions

Keep the fluid half full and it won't matter vented or not
I do like than the wine noise greatly reduced

For those of you that have a Hydroboost unit with 4 bolts that secure it to the firewall, do you just remove the mounting plate that bolts to the firewall by removing the 4 screws under the dash? Don't want to get under there and fight with it if that's not the right course of action. Also, I'm looking for an excuse to stop for the night and this seems like a good one as I'm covered in grease and don't want to get any on the interior. ;-)

For those of you that have a Hydroboost unit with 4 bolts that secure it to the firewall, do you just remove the mounting plate that bolts to the firewall by removing the 4 screws under the dash? Don't want to get under there and fight with it if that's not the right course of action. Also, I'm looking for an excuse to stop for the night and this seems like a good one as I'm covered in grease and don't want to get any on the interior. ;-)

Yes. That’s how you remove the mounting plate. I’d recommend replacing the gasket while you have it pulled off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spent a little time on the conversion tonight. Managed to get bolts off 3 of the 4 studs holding the old firewall plate in place... the 4th stud is held in place by a push nut that doesn't want to budge. Will fight with that tomorrow. The little annoyances and setbacks never seem to end with this project. It'll be worth it in the end though.

Spent a little time on the conversion tonight. Managed to get bolts off 3 of the 4 studs holding the old firewall plate in place... the 4th stud is held in place by a push nut that doesn't want to budge. Will fight with that tomorrow. The little annoyances and setbacks never seem to end with this project. It'll be worth it in the end though.

Good luck with it. I love these cars but it’s always something with them.

I was on Kirban's performance website and they have reproduction hoses
The high pressure ones Hydroboost to pump and to the steering gear
Thought I would pass it on

Did anyone else have the firewall plate held in place with a push nut? If so, how did you get it off? I've been fighting with it for awhile now. Tried bending the tabs with a screwdriver, grabbing it with extra long needle nose, cutting it with a cold chisel, and just trying to smack it through with a hammer and a punch. I've broken off the majority of two teeth but they still have pieces under the threads on the bolt so it's still not moving. Anyone have any tips?

I got the push nut off after lots of twisting, bending, cursing, and the application of many tools.

The mounting plate on the firewall still won't come off. I don't know what's holding it. I am at a loss?

Thoughts?

It is time for a drink.

I have the hydrotech unit, and for the life of me i cannot get it to stop whining, it also whines when i press the brake pedal at idle. i have talked to jim repeatedly and i have replaced the valve with the flow adapter in my PS pump, i have an lines to the pump for high pressure and an lines to the gear box and just cannot get it to stop the noise...so damn frustrating, i used the concept one ps reservoir as well..

I got the push nut off after lots of twisting, bending, cursing, and the application of many tools.

The mounting plate on the firewall still won't come off. I don't know what's holding it. I am at a loss?

Thoughts?

It is time for a drink.

This might be a stupid question but have you tried breaking loose the booster on the firewall? Maybe it’s just sort of stuck there after 33 years (assuming it’s never been off). Maybe give it a whack with a rubber mallet?

Do you have the four nuts and the pedal off? Can not see why it would not come loose other than it is just stuck from time. Dead blow hammer or rubber mallet as suggested might be the next step.

I have the hydrotech unit, and for the life of me i cannot get it to stop whining, it also whines when i press the brake pedal at idle. i have talked to jim repeatedly and i have replaced the valve with the flow adapter in my PS pump, i have an lines to the pump for high pressure and an lines to the gear box and just cannot get it to stop the noise...so damn frustrating, i used the concept one ps reservoir as well..
How do you have the return to the reservoir plumbed? It could be too small and causing a restriction. Is it tee'd where it could be restricting flow? Make it to where the return gets back to the res easily.

@Cryptic @TexasT All 4 bolts are undone along with the pedal. Powermaster unit has been off for awhile, it's just the plate now. Good to know that nothing else should be holding it in place; I didn't want to be more aggressive than I've already been if there was anything else to remove. I've been prying on the mounting plate with 2 large ~18" screwdrivers between it and the firewall and the bottom 2 bolts won't budge, the top 2 are free. I think the plate is now slightly bent (hopefully not the firewall) from all the prying. I've also hit the bottom bolts with a long punch and hammer from inside the car to try and motivate it. When I get back to it tomorrow I'll go around the entire perimeter of the plate again to see where it might be held up.

I was expecting something with this conversion to be super frustrating but this was not the part I thought would be an issue.

I would think the hydroboost reservoir above with the extra return port should definitely help with the whine. Is there enough fluid in your reservoir so it's above the top return line? Could be introducing air if you're not returning into fluid.

If you're getting whine at idle when you hit the brake I would think that either your ps pump is shot or you're pulling air into the system somewhere. Does it also whine when you turn the steering wheel? Any power steering fluid leaks? Might be worth making sure all of your hoses are in good shape and your connections are tight. You could also try re-bleeding your system using the directions that were posted earlier in the thread.

@Cryptic @TexasT All 4 bolts are undone along with the pedal. Powermaster unit has been off for awhile, it's just the plate now. Good to know that nothing else should be holding it in place; I didn't want to be more aggressive than I've already been if there was anything else to remove. I've been prying on the mounting plate with 2 large ~18" screwdrivers between it and the firewall and the bottom 2 bolts won't budge, the top 2 are free. I think the plate is now slightly bent (hopefully not the firewall) from all the prying. I've also hit the bottom bolts with a long punch and hammer from inside the car to try and motivate it. When I get back to it tomorrow I'll go around the entire perimeter of the plate again to see where it might be held up.

I was expecting something with this conversion to be super frustrating but this was not the part I thought would be an issue.

There’s always something frustrating with brakes I‘ve found and it’s usually something dumb.

Below are the schematics from the service manual. As you can see it’s just the four bolts.

516b8d2530c5d1cb65abf7e863516583.plist

There’s always something frustrating with brakes I‘ve found and it’s usually something dumb.

Below are the schematics from the service manual. As you can see it’s just the four bolts.

Agreed on that point. I had a heck of a time getting the brake line I had to cut straight enough to slip a new tube nut on before I could flare it. Flare didn't come out great so I'll probably need to do another round of straightening, cutting, and flaring. Fun times.

Thanks for the pic and the reassurance! Not sure why there was a push nut on one of the bolts instead of a nut. I'm going to have to find a copy of that service manual for my shop.

Agreed on that point. I had a heck of a time getting the brake line I had to cut straight enough to slip a new tube nut on before I could flare it. Flare didn't come out great so I'll probably need to do another round of straightening, cutting, and flaring. Fun times.

Thanks for the pic and the reassurance! Not sure why there was a push nut on one of the bolts instead of a nut. I'm going to have to find a copy of that service manual for my shop.

I believe this is the thread that has the link for a digital copy:

I have a printed copy, a copy I keep on my phone and another on my computer.

Stock PS pumps are. woefully inadequate for HydroBoost . Send you pump out for a rebuild and have the output pressures and flow (GPM) optimised for HydroBoost.
Stock PS pumps put out approximately 1200psi and flow around 2 gym......sent my PS pump out to Turn One Steering and had them set it up to their recommended specs......1800 psi and 3.0 GPM
Problem solved

The pump I removed will go out for a rebuild
Much better with new rebuilt but....
When the fluid gets hot with a stock rebuild still have a mild wine in 60 degree weather