Hydroboost Conversion Questions

Ok parts are here
I read that with the PSC reservoir I don't have to use the Tee I had before.
Just a note this is a 84 GN with hydroboost with a 87 motor setup.
I'm thinking I won't replace the high pressure lines just hook them up
Also rebuilt pump from Cardone has a small O ring stapled to the inside of the box cover that they say needs to be replaced where does it go?
I plan on sending the old pump for a rebuild to Turn one

You are going to need the high pressure hoses for the 84 set up. If you look at my thread I go over how I massaged one of the lines to get it to the pump or steering box, I don't remember off hand. The other fit well.
As far as the tee goes, if the reservoir has two return fittings then I would guess a tee is unnecessary. Just have to be able to get both returns back to the res and a port to get fluid back out to the pump.

Ok parts are here
I read that with the PSC reservoir I don't have to use the Tee I had before.
Just a note this is a 84 GN with hydroboost with a 87 motor setup.
I'm thinking I won't replace the high pressure lines just hook them up
Also rebuilt pump from Cardone has a small O ring stapled to the inside of the box cover that they say needs to be replaced where does it go?
I plan on sending the old pump for a rebuild to Turn one

That is correct. The PSC reservoir eliminates the need for the T.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok figured out where the O Ring goes, the two fittings came off together on the pump line
When I took them apart there was the O Ring

Will the Cardone 52-9041 with Reservoir work on this conversion in place of the 84-85 HB booster?

The Cardone 52-9041 is for Deville 1979 Fleetwood Diesel
I don't think it will work

I decided to go with the PSC reservoir. Ordering that and some -AN fittings and adapters today. Does anyone know what size fittings are on the far end of the lines coming from the power steering reservoir? (I'm looking at you @Cryptic and @1KWIKSIX .) That would be the connections between the reservoir and the Hydroboost unit, the power steering pump, and the power steering box. I believe they are either 16mm x 1.5 O-RIng (Saginaw) fittings or 18mm x 1.5mm O-Ring / Saginaw fittings. Am I right in assuming the Hydroboost and PS Box are 16mm and the PS Pump is 18 mm? If anyone could fill in the blanks below for sure that would be much appreciated!

Hydroboost connection to Power Steering Reservoir -6: 16mm x 1.5mm to -6AN adapter?
Power Steering Box connection to Power Steering Reservoir: 16mm x 1.5mm to -6AN adapter?
Power Steering Pump connection to Power Steering Reservoir: 18mm x 1.5mm to -10AN adapter?

Is the above correct?

I'd also appreciate any pics of how you mounted your PSC reservoirs. I know that @1KWIKSIX in particular has posted lots of pics of their install but unfortunately I can't see any of those pics on the forum anymore (what happened with that by the way? Is there a way to fix those links?). Thanks to anyone who can help with some pics.

I bought the hose and fitting kit didn't want to mess around chasing fitting
Old pump removed and new one in place you will need a pulley puller to remove the pulley
I used Lisle 39000 $46.00 from Home Depot free next day shipping could rent one too.
Looks like I will have to make a bracket for the PSC reservoir
I'll be posting pictures over the next couple days

I bought the hose and fitting kit didn't want to mess around chasing fitting
Old pump removed and new one in place you will need a pulley puller to remove the pulley
I used Lisle 39000 $46.00 from Home Depot free next day shipping could rent one too.
Looks like I will have to make a bracket for the PSC reservoir
I'll be posting pictures over the next couple days

Doesn't the fitting kit only come with fittings for the reservoir side of the lines? I'm trying to determine the fittings I need to connect the other end of those lines where they connect to the ps pump, ps gearbox, and the hydroboost unit.

I'm not replacing the power steering pump (going to see how the original one does), will I still need to remove the pulley?

Thanks!

Is the link to the kit with photos. I'll take a look at it and snag some photos.

If your going to use your 87 pump then no you don't have to remove the pulley
So you don't have the stock lines that go with the 84-85 hydroboost
Now I understand your problem

Is the link to the kit with photos. I'll take a look at it and snag some photos.

468faa781457d4da701402bae8938feb.plist

Left connector from reservoir to PS pump

4eb73c384e5740993d48b28de134e342.plist

Right connector from reservoir to booster

fac7f00d421e8ee323264569e5a57f14.plist

Center connector from reservoir to steering box

So no specialty connectors are necessary on the "far" end of the reservoir lines. The high pressure fittings I used came with my Hydratech kit so I can't speak to those as well.

So no specialty connectors are necessary on the "far" end of the reservoir lines. The high pressure fittings I used came with my Hydratech kit so I can't speak to those as well.

Thanks @Cryptic, that helps a lot! These are all low pressure fittings so I knew the fancy connections probably weren't needed but I was sure if all the lines would actually fit on the appropriate connections and this answers that.

Thanks @Cryptic, that helps a lot! These are all low pressure fittings so I knew the fancy connections probably weren't needed but I was sure if all the lines would actually fit on the appropriate connections and this answers that.

If anyone has those fitting sizes I would still like to know (I can verify when I do my conversion if no one knows) so that it's easy to order adapters if someone wants to go that route down the line.

Finished the install yesterday afternoon
I did have to make a new bracket for the new reservoir
It is a tight fit with the Original 84 Hydroboost and I had to clock it a little
I poured fluid down each hose before I attached them to the reservoir etc.
I'll crank the engine with the fuel pump disconnected to make sure the pump is primed

Attachments

• PSR 1.jpg
    PSR 1.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 225
  • PSR 2.jpg
    PSR 2.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 221
  • PSR 4.jpg
    PSR 4.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 212