Hydro Boost and power steering pump pressure.

Perry Stapleton

Just converted to Hydro Boost. My stock power steering pump makes a noise and the steering is not smooth when turning and breaking at the same time. Anyone else have this problem and did you upgrade your power steering pump? Thanks

How is the system plumbed? Particularly the HB return line.
With the engine at op temp, and some time on the drive cycle, stop & take a look at the reservoir. Oil misting out? oil very hot, full of bubbles?
I think Turn One has a good pump for this app.
Others will chime in.
I've never had the problem.
FWIW, the factory had a recall/tsm on the stock system boiling the fluid. AIRC, they changed to a larger reservoir.

There are a bunch of discussions on the board about this issue. Send your pump to Turn One or Lee Steering. You can also get a new reservoir to hold more fluid and with better flow characteristics.

How is the system plumbed? Particularly the HB return line.
With the engine at op temp, and some time on the drive cycle, stop & take a look at the reservoir. Oil misting out? oil very hot, full of bubbles?
I think Turn One has a good pump for this app.
Others will chime in.
I've never had the problem.
FWIW, the factory had a recall/tsm on the stock system boiling the fluid. AIRC, they changed to a larger reservoir.
Has 2 returns to the pump. Use a T to merge the return. I will check for heating and fluid bubbling. I bought the car in 92. Don't know about the recall. You are using HB with factory pump and don't have a problem? That is interesting. I wonder why some do and others don't. Maybe the recall and larger fluid reservoir??? Thanks

PSC power steering reservoir for HydroBoost .
I’ve got one & can recommend it

Attachments

• 45BB0D80-4F1D-4BD3-A8C0-CA9383AEDD95.jpeg
    45BB0D80-4F1D-4BD3-A8C0-CA9383AEDD95.jpeg
    555.1 KB · Views: 103

Did you jack up the front, and with the engine running turn the wheel lock to lock while watching that reservoir for bubbles? Do this until there are no bubbles surfacing in the reservoir and keep it topped up so it doesn't suck in more air.

I had the same issue, even after bleeding, flushing, etc. Only thing that fixed it for me was a larger reservoir and rebuilt pump. I did both at once, dunno if you would have success with only one of the two.

I have heard from one that using a larger reservoir alone fixed their problem. Heard from several that said a new more powerful pump fixed it. I will probably get a more powerful pump. Thanks

I did the Sweeting performance HB kit on mine , same issue PS pump whines all the time etc , I personally feel his kit is over priced now that I have used it . I guess I am going to try the updated pump , I do not see how just a reservoir would make a difference ? its not running out of fluid or low while running ?

I have one more thing to try before I spend money on new parts. A few people told me I don't have all the air out of the system. My HB kit came with instructions to blead the system I am going to try that first. However, I do feel like a more powerful pup will fix the problem. Thanks

The ORIGINAL HB, aka Powermaster, had a heat issue.
My new 86 T actually boiled the fluid.
The dlr installed another reservoir, from a full-size car. Done deal.
There was a TSB issued on the topic.
Here's a link. Eric Fischer was our resident parts guru. Would be nice if he was still here.

PSC power steering reservoir for HydroBoost .
I’ve got one & can recommend it
2nd the PSC reservoir. Small increase wine over no hydroboost with stock pump. I will likely do a turn one pump at some point.
Otherwise plumb a separate return to the stock reservoir, I think Chuck has done that.

2nd the PSC reservoir. Small increase wine over no hydroboost with stock pump. I will likely do a turn one pump at some point.
Otherwise plumb a separate return to the stock reservoir, I think Chuck has done that.
I did with a bulkhead fitting into the res.

A V-6 or V-8 vacuum booster with a Cadillac vacuum pump is one solution.
I have a 214/216 .579 lift roller cam and ported heads with a normal V-6 V-8 generic reman vacuum booster with no issues. I bought a Cadillac vacuum pump just in case, but haven't needed it.
My car had a vacuum conversion when I got it, and I got all of the hydro boost stuff with it. I was gonna have the hydroboost gone thru and install it, but my system is working without the Cadillac pump, and I've read of more hydro boost pronlems than vacuum, so I'm leaving it alone. I'm still thinking about it and watching tho.
TIMINATOR

hello people: sitting here on a lousy rainy day here in Mass. and the hdroboost post got my attention. I starting looking more and some like the idea of not using the T fitting as in the instuctions. So how would U route without the T? How many of youz use the T and how many do not?
IBBY