Hydraboost noise/oil foaming

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
Did a search and an OLD thread I started is now back!
This time it's on a 71 Bronco. A DIY deal by someone yrs ago, using a HB without the safety accumulator.
This involves a brake failure via the rear hose being torn off. Luckily, the prop valve allowed for some ft brake.
The system was allowed to get dirty/rusty and required a new m/c and prop valve.
All's back together and the problem is:
Engine started, HB is charged and brakes "kinda work". Need bleeding.
With engine off, as we attempt to bleed, the p/s fluid in the HB bleeds back into the p/s reservoir and there's no pressure transmitted to the m/c.
My contention is the HB is fried and leaking internally.
Anyone help with ideas will be appreciated!

PSC power steering reservoir should get rid of the foaming / aeration.
I’ve also installed a power steering cooler in order to keep fluid temps st bay & additonally running a full synthetic PS fluid which helps fight high temps & aeration

hello people: I don't think the res. is an issue. I looped one of the lines to hold more fluid and I think it works. My installation was a pain and it did not go smoothly. I did add a cooler and it whines a bit but it seems better than last year. I do plan on changing the fluid more than I should but I had a 94 Astro van for years and didn't do much with the fluid. I didn't even know what a Hydor boost was and it was in that van. Too bad as I donated the van with almost 300K on it as I would have removed it. I liked that van.
IBBY

This is a new issue.
I've done more digging and have pretty much figured that the internal accumulator check valve has taken a dump, allowing the fluid to leak back to the p/s res. That's why we can't create pedal pressure.

After replacing everything else and still had noise and soft Padel noticed the gear box was leaking
Replaced that and the noise is gone and got a good pedal.