hr parts upper rear end bushings picture request

AdammRyan

87 t top
Does anyone have picture(s) of their upper control arm Hrparts bushings at the rear end? I am an amateur so spent some time going over instructions to make sure I understood them and would like to see them installed. I will be using the HR parts tool (which I also familiarized myself to) to remove old ones.

Thanks in advance

AdammRyan,

I didn't install the HR Uppers (They were on backorder when I was doing my rear suspension.), but I did install new upper bushings with my Metco Double Adjustable Uppers. I used the HR Parts tool to remove the old bushings and install the new ones.
A couple of tips:
1) The instructions with the HR Tool are very good. Make sure that you back the tool out after about 1/2 of the removal and install to ensure that you don't bend the threaded rod. I did my first one in 2steps as suggested and it went very smoothly. On the second one, I got greedy and tried to pull the old bushing in one pull. I ended up bending the threaded rod on the tool. I was lucky enough to be able to flip the rod over for the install new install and it had enough straight section remaining to get the job done. The HR Tool made this process so much easier than I thought it would be.
2) Apply LIBERAL use of anti-seize on the new bushing install.
3) Put your new bushings in the freezer overnight and take them out right before you are installing. This shrinks them down just a bit and I believe that it made the new install easier.

Here is a picture of mine installed. (Bolts not all synched down yet, but you can see the new bushings in the Rear End's upper ears.
small new suspension installed.jpg

I hope that this helps!!!
ENJOY!!!
- Jerry

Excellent info above. I used MOOG Problem Solver bushings on the top axle housing. I had read on this forum that the MOOG bushings prevent binding of the suspension on the street. The rest are aftermarket black urethane.

I removed the old bushings with a drill bit to slowly eat away & remove the rubber around the circumference, then hammer & chisel to crush the outer bearing shell inward until I could grab with big pliers & remove. Fairly primitive but it worked well.

Be careful with the H&R tool when installing the new bushings. Make sure that the "bridge" portion is seated squarely on the axle housing so you don't bend the threaded rod. One side is easy to get cock-eyed. (Can't recall which side now) I did this job on jack stands & it was difficult to see well. I bent the threaded rod & almost couldn't complete the job. Take your time & check everything well as you progress.

Good luck.

AdammRyan,

I didn't install the HR Uppers (They were on backorder when I was doing my rear suspension.), but I did install new upper bushings with my Metco Double Adjustable Uppers. I used the HR Parts tool to remove the old bushings and install the new ones.
A couple of tips:
1) The instructions with the HR Tool are very good. Make sure that you back the tool out after about 1/2 of the removal and install to ensure that you don't bend the threaded rod. I did my first one in 2steps as suggested and it went very smoothly. On the second one, I got greedy and tried to pull the old bushing in one pull. I ended up bending the threaded rod on the tool. I was lucky enough to be able to flip the rod over for the install new install and it had enough straight section remaining to get the job done. The HR Tool made this process so much easier than I thought it would be.
2) Apply LIBERAL use of anti-seize on the new bushing install.
3) Put your new bushings in the freezer overnight and take them out right before you are installing. This shrinks them down just a bit and I believe that it made the new install easier.

Here is a picture of mine installed. (Bolts not all synched down yet, but you can see the new bushings in the Rear End's upper ears.
View attachment 388924

I hope that this helps!!!
ENJOY!!!
- Jerry
I appreciate the info and picture. I went over the instructions SEVERAL times.... I will post pics this week after I get it done. Thanks! Ps... Ive also been told about freezer trick... i have done that for putting wear rings in jetskis. Thanks!

Last edited:
Excellent info above. I used MOOG Problem Solver bushings on the top axle housing. I had read on this forum that the MOOG bushings prevent binding of the suspension on the street. The rest are aftermarket black urethane.

I removed the old bushings with a drill bit to slowly eat away & remove the rubber around the circumference, then hammer & chisel to crush the outer bearing shell inward until I could grab with big pliers & remove. Fairly primitive but it worked well.

Be careful with the H&R tool when installing the new bushings. Make sure that the "bridge" portion is seated squarely on the axle housing so you don't bend the threaded rod. One side is easy to get cock-eyed. (Can't recall which side now) I did this job on jack stands & it was difficult to see well. I bent the threaded rod & almost couldn't complete the job. Take your time & check everything well as you progress.

Good luck.
Someone came over and tried to get one out by doing what you said but was not successful so I just ordered the tool. when you say bridge im thinking the the wider diameter end that would seat against the ear.

I have car on a pair of quick jacks so maybe a little higher than stands but not much. Ill def take my time. Thanks for your help