Howdy all!

200MPHClub

Just want to say that I've been lurking here for a bit of time doing some basic research and waiting for a car that I can buy for my purposes...and I'm glad to say that I've found one...purchased from Knucklehead (Larry) down in Fla.

What's my purpose you ask....well as you might deduce from the screen name....it's to join the 200MPH club in Land Speed Racing :biggrin: ...or Speed Trials as it's known. I began my quest to build a car with a 10K budget to bring to the Maxton Mile "ecta-lsr.com" and run 0-200MPH in a standing mile....after much debate I decided that the Turbo Buicks seem to meet my needs the best. Hanging around the dragstrip running early GM Iron, I always noticed the Buick T's lighting it up....and doing it with very little displacement and fairly simple mods (you all know this though so I'll skip the why Buick schpeel). Anyway i decided that I should be able to mod a t-type for a reasonable amount of dough, churn out some serious HP, and give it a shot.

So, here I am...and I will be asking alot of questions....probably mostly in the racing forums and engine forums...I'm new to Buick's but not racing or engines, so I'll also chip in where I can.

thanks and look forward to seeing you on the track :)

Welcome 200

Hey that's awesome would love to see you join the 200mph using a Turbo Buick. Just make sure you ain't using Power Master brakes it would be a bummer not to be able to stop at that speed. Would love to see one of these cars slammed to the salt/pavement, with a splitter and diffuser some Mooneye discs, oops I'm thinkin Bonneville your talking standing mile.

Cool and welcome

With the Buicks superior aerodynamics you should be able to hit your mark with relative ease:biggrin:

Or at least have fun tryin eh

A turbo TA would make the quest for 200 mph at maxton way easier, since one has already gone nearly 300 mph at bonneville and has about 2/3 the aero drag of a Regal.

On your motor build up, you'll want to have a steel crank and have a bottom end that will withstand 6K+ RPM. With a Stage II, 200 mph would be easy, but with a stock block, RPM and gearing become real problems. You need enough gear to accelerate fast, but not too much gear that you run out of RPM.

If you have enough HP, anything can be made to go 200.

A guy in a 10 year old Mitusbishi Crapbox went 215.9 in the standing mile last August in Nebraska. Of course he had 40 psi of boost and was turning 9000+ Rpm.

You need enough gear to accelerate fast, but not too much gear that you run out of RPM.

Is there a distance limit in which to achieve the goal or what? i mean ya dont want to run into a mountian but lets say a 2.29 ring gear maybe?.. crap out of the hole but man i could only imagine top end..in theory

A turbo TA would make the quest for 200 mph at maxton way easier, since one has already gone nearly 300 mph at bonneville and has about 2/3 the aero drag of a Regal.

On your motor build up, you'll want to have a steel crank and have a bottom end that will withstand 6K+ RPM. With a Stage II, 200 mph would be easy, but with a stock block, RPM and gearing become real problems. You need enough gear to accelerate fast, but not too much gear that you run out of RPM.

If you have enough HP, anything can be made to go 200.

A guy in a 10 year old Mitusbishi Crapbox went 215.9 in the standing mile last August in Nebraska. Of course he had 40 psi of boost and was turning 9000+ Rpm.

Yeah...i thought about just taking the motor and putting it in something a little more sleek (think late 70's camaro), but just didn't seem right. All Buick or nothing ;)

Is there a distance limit in which to achieve the goal or what? i mean ya dont want to run into a mountian but lets say a 2.29 ring gear maybe?.. crap out of the hole but man i could only imagine top end..in theory

You only have a mile.

My Pontiac 2+2 runs 160 in the mile. It is going 135 in the 1/2 mile.

You get about the same speed increase going from the 1/8th to the 1/4, and the 1/4 to the 1/2 as you get going from the 1/2 to the 1.

I have 2.75 gears and 6000 RPM is 163 mph in drive. 2.50:1 gears is about 172 mph in 1:1 at 6K.

So, without being able to rev over 6K, you need to shift into OD, which isn't ideal for acceleration.

I'm setting up my TTA to run 1/2 mile events, shooting for 145-150 after I build it up. I'm going to run a loose but lockup converter and 2.7:1 gears.

To run the mile, I'd switch back to the 3.23's which would be right at 200 mph @ 6K RPM in OD (or a more reasonable 180-185 mph @ 5500 RPM)