How to tell the difference between repro and OEM grill and bezels.

Monte88

I am going to look at a set of supposed NOS parts including a grille, headlamp bezels, taillamp housings, and marker lights (no boxes). I realize that all of these parts are now reproduced, and want to know how to tell the difference. Does anyone have any side-by-side photos, or things to look for. I've seen a few pictures and they almost look too good to be original parts. They are part of a garage clean-out, and the guy claims he has had these laying around for a VERY long time. I trust the seller that he believes they are OEM, but I want to know for certain.

Yes, I searched the board first, but the threads I found were older and the photos are gone. From what I found the original 80's parts were grey plastic painted black, and then some of the replacement GM parts were black molded plastic, and all of the aftermarket repops are also black plastic. Correct?

I am going to look at a set of supposed NOS parts including a grille, headlamp bezels, taillamp housings, and marker lights (no boxes). I realize that all of these parts are now reproduced, and want to know how to tell the difference. Does anyone have any side-by-side photos, or things to look for. I've seen a few pictures and they almost look too good to be original parts. They are part of a garage clean-out, and the guy claims he has had these laying around for a VERY long time. I trust the seller that he believes they are OEM, but I want to know for certain.

Yes, I searched the board first, but the threads I found were older and the photos are gone. From what I found the original 80's parts were grey plastic painted black, and then some of the replacement GM parts were black molded plastic, and all of the aftermarket repops are also black plastic. Correct?

I have an NOS grill at home I can send you a pic of come tomorrow if you want. There is no indication of it having been grey plastic and then painted black that I can recall but I'll look tomorrow.

its all in the casting marks ... with part numbers on them... if I get around to it ill take you some pics ....

I have an NOS grill at home I can send you a pic of come tomorrow if you want. There is no indication of it having been grey plastic and then painted black that I can recall but I'll look tomorrow.

Sorry, that was just for the headlamp bezels. A picture of any markings would be great.

here's some head light bezel pics ... I have a sealed in box grill im not gonna open ...but the made in Canada stamp molded in is the dead give away...rivets on top of grill are black on factory originals ...and retooled GM ones from 2000's are silver ...

IMG_0771.jpg
IMG_0772.jpg
IMG_0770.jpg
IMG_0769.jpg
IMG_0768.jpg

Yes your best bet is find casting part# on parts. OEM Headlight bezel or much lighter and a tad thinner than repos. If parts have been just laying around for a long time there is a possibility the bezel at top center will be drooping.

So most of the new reproduction parts are stamped wait for it Made in Taiwan!! Aka China!!
a255408f8710c0d0feac528b80f19ef9.jpg

aaaa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well wadda ya know, all the parts were near-mint OEM originals. I'll have them listed for sale soon.