How to remove this body piece?

HighMileage

Albany,NY
I see two screws holding it on but something tells me there's more to it.

I'd like to repaint this piece but I'm thinking I'm opening a can of worms taking it off. T-top car.

I'd rather remove it and paint it instead of masking.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

IMG_2281.JPG

It has double sided tape on the back if my memory serves me correctly. I would heat it up and and carefully pull it off

You have to take the weather strip off, then the weather strip channel, then that piece.
But first take the door sill off, and the plastic trim.

Yep,I'm glad I asked first. Taking it off is a can of worms.

I'll be masking it off to give it a light sand and satin-black.

Thanks for the replies!

Yep. BIG can of worms to pull the piece. I destroyed one before I painted my car. It wasn't until I pulled my weatherstripping channel could I see how I really came off. (same with the A pillar molding)

The bad part is you have to destroy the weatherstripping to expose the screws to remove the channel so you can remove the screws to remove that piece.

Yep. BIG can of worms to pull the piece. I destroyed one before I painted my car. It wasn't until I pulled my weatherstripping channel could I see how I really came off. (same with the A pillar molding)

The bad part is you have to destroy the weatherstripping to expose the screws to remove the channel so you can remove the screws to remove that piece.

It's a good thing I asked. I don't need for my car to be out of service waiting for new weatherstrip,etc.

My car being out of service means no taking my lunch-hour in the car with the sammich-cutting fuel pump knife switch!

I see two screws holding it on but something tells me there's more to it.

I'd like to repaint this piece but I'm thinking I'm opening a can of worms taking it off. T-top car.

I'd rather remove it and paint it instead of masking.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

View attachment 302790
:eek:.

If you mask it well and cover surrounding areas, you can get a nice job.

Wait until one day you need to do an entire repaint before removing it. Then plan for all new weatherstrips and a full restore on all exterior moldings.

I pulled mine off when I painted my car.

I haven't installed them yet because I'd like to paint them.

Does anyone know what thickness of weather stripping to use for re-assembly?