How to remove intermediate steering shaft?

BoostMasterK

2 boys now, need more GNs
From the Buick service manual procedure, it would seem very easy to remove the intermediate steering shaft (between the column and the box). Unfortunately mine is not working out that way. :frown: Has anyone done this before and tell me how they did it?

TIA!

Mike

I could never get mine pulled far enough apart to get it out, so I had to loosen the column from the firewall and from under the dash :rolleyes: . I pullled the column gently forward, there is a lot of wiring attached to it so be careful, and I had someone under the hood pull the shaft apart and out. HTH

I could never get mine pulled far enough apart to get it out, so I had to loosen the column from the firewall and from under the dash :rolleyes: . I pullled the column gently forward, there is a lot of wiring attached to it so be careful, and I had someone under the hood pull the shaft apart and out. HTH

That helps alot Cory thanks. Now I'm glad I didn't try to force it out.

Sending you a quick PM.

Thanks,

Mike

...or you can take your engine out then it comes out really easy ...just a couple of bolts...my rag joint on the bottom looks ok but the rubber boot at the top of it is torn and beat...anyway to change this or do i have to continue to search for a decent one buried in someones gargage?...thanks for help...noah.

....my rag joint on the bottom looks ok but the rubber boot at the top of it is torn and beat...anyway to change this or do i have to continue to search for a decent one buried in someones gargage?...thanks for help...noah.

Mine too. The manual does not show the boot as a part in the breakdown, plus it looks like it's pressed into the crimp. I've seen universal boots at the parts store ("HELP" type parts) for CV joints, my guess is you can find something that way.

If I manage to find something I'll post that too.

Mike

Mike you thinking of rebuilding or adjusting your steering box??? i was thinking of doing it to mine but not sure how to go about it. so verything on the steering column would be freshened up

Mike you thinking of rebuilding or adjusting your steering box??? i was thinking of doing it to mine but not sure how to go about it. so verything on the steering column would be freshened up

Nope this started as a seemingly simple job to replace the bushing up where the intermediate shaft connects to the column. It has a little play in it which actually may be normal but I figured for an hours work I would change it.

Nope this started as a seemingly simple job to replace the bushing up where the intermediate shaft connects to the column. It has a little play in it which actually may be normal but I figured for an hours work I would change it.

Isn't it amazing how a simple job that should take only an hour on these cars can turn into a major overhaul and end up taking several days? :eek: :biggrin: