How to increase WOT shift RPM

fc227

1986 Grand National
How do I increase WOT shift RPM ? This does involve removing the governor ? But how much do I remove from the weights ? Right now it is shifting at ~ 4900 RPM's . Since the converter is stalling @ 3500 rpms and ported Heads ,but only a 206 comp cam . I believe that a shift point of 5500 to 5700 RPM would work? (see my Sig. for other details)

Any suggestions ?

There has been several threads on this in the last 6 months.

I know , But I can seem to locate them.

I started a couple threads that have some goods info. Search under my name in the transmission forum. Id suggest a CZ vb/governor combo to start. What converter, vb, and governor are you running now? The shift rpm seems low for your indicwated stall number. Usually a higher stall converter wont couple as well at lower rpm which raises the shift rpm. The shift timing is determined by the calibration and the driveshaft speed.

Edge 10" that is stalling @ 3500 rpm's @ 10# of boost. BRF valve body & OEM Governor (BRF).

I will do the Search also thank you .

I have a power logger file I can submit that show the shift points.

Edge 10" that is stalling @ 3500 rpm's @ 10# of boost. BRF valve body & OEM Governor (BRF).

I will do the Search also thank you .

I have a power logger file I can submit that show the shift points.

We believe you on the shift points. Id like to see the engine rpm at different mph though. Post your mph at your quarter trap speed and your measured tire height. You can start by removing a gram from the stock governor. Its trial and error till you find the right shift point.

1-2 = 23 MPH 4900 rpm
2-3 = 54 MPH 4900 rpm
TC lockup = 80MPH @ 4700 rpm

Tire size 28" tall.

One gram @ a time , This maybe out of my ability to do .

ET 12.80 @ 102.47 mph at @ 16#'s of boost

1-2 = 23 MPH 4900 rpm
2-3 = 54 MPH 4900 rpm
TC lockup = 80MPH @ 4700 rpm

Tire size 28" tall.

One gram @ a time , This maybe out of my ability to do .

ET 12.80 @ 102.47 mph at @ 16#'s of boost
You can do it in one afternoon. Even if you have to drop the pan a couple times. The CZ vb/governor is a better option imo. Your combo and numbers look like you could gain a decent amount by shifting later. Like around 5300-5400. If your tires are MT 275 60-15 they arent 28" More like 27.25" measured. Id lock up a lot later than 80mph also. Id try it around 95-100mph. What rpm does it drop to on the 4900 shifts and what boost?

I have CZ valve bodies and governors.

I also have OZ and BQ codes.

I found one in my pile of good stuff. I will take a picture of it next week when I get back to work and summit so some one can tell me if this is the correct one.

Bison is right on the money.....
What rpm do you go through the traps without the converter locked?
Is the car willing to pull past 5000 rpm in Drive?
With ported heads at 20psi, I would thnk you would have better mph than 108 for sure.
Converter does sound fairly tight though I guess. What does it stall at with 0psi?

With your combo you want the engine to stay between 4600 and 5400. If it goes much below 4500 on shifts it will be giving up some performance.

Bison is right on the money.....
What rpm do you go through the traps without the converter locked?
Is the car willing to pull past 5000 rpm in Drive?
With ported heads at 20psi, I would thnk you would have better mph than 108 for sure.
Converter does sound fairly tight though I guess. What does it stall at with 0psi?
His early shifts down low are hurting the mph. Also locking to soon hurts the e.t. When he raises the shift point on the 1-2 and 2-3 his mph will go up and locking later will help it too. Also his boost is so low its hard to make any conclusions about the converter without more data at higher boost levels. Thats why i was asking what the rpm dropped to on the shifts when he shifted at 4900. If he ran the car hard at high 20's boost id be willing to bet he would get almost no drop on shifts shifting at 4900. Assuming he is running 275/60-15 MT DR's (which are slightly under 27.5in tall) his rpm crossing the traps is under 4550:eek: . Locking at 90 mph pulls it down to about 3800-3900:eek: . Way to low to get optimum performance. Id bet et would be the same or better unlocked at 20 psi even if he lost a little mph.

I would ask if the shift points are proper for normal driving and all he wants is to raise WOT shift points, shim the spring for "TV Limit" only, shimming the spring .050 with a small washer will increase rpm at WOT without disrupting other actions, but understand that if you have stock cam/valvetrain pieces you may introduce valve spring "float" by going higher than 5000 rpm, stock stuff is essentially "All Done" in power by 4500 anyway you might want to hold 2nd to desired rpm to "See" what she wants and target that rpm.

Kevin.

I would ask if the shift points are proper for normal driving and all he wants is to raise WOT shift points, shim the spring for "TV Limit" only, shimming the spring .050 with a small washer will increase rpm at WOT without disrupting other actions, but understand that if you have stock cam/valvetrain pieces you may introduce valve spring "float" by going higher than 5000 rpm, stock stuff is essentially "All Done" in power by 4500 anyway you might want to hold 2nd to desired rpm to "See" what she wants and target that rpm.

Kevin.

He has a 206/206 cam and heads so most would assume he has some spring on them. With heads and cam he should be well over 5k up top.

Stock cam was 197/193 I believe, a 206/206 would move the tq/hp up 500-700 rpm at most from stock levels, which is still lower rpms than he is shifting at now, so my thinking would be: go ahead and try a different rpm point and let "IT" tell you what she wants, but I would not expect any change in times.
From what I see, he has too high of a stall speed for his combo, a stock D-5 will stall at 3000-3200 at 20 psi using tranbrake, I'll bet his stalls well past 4200 at 20 psi and possibly higher which would also be shift recovery rpm.

Kevin.

Stock cam was 197/193 I believe, a 206/206 would move the tq/hp up 500-700 rpm at most from stock levels, which is still lower rpms than he is shifting at now, so my thinking would be: go ahead and try a different rpm point and let "IT" tell you what she wants, but I would not expect any change in times.
From what I see, he has too high of a stall speed for his combo, a stock D-5 will stall at 3000-3200 at 20 psi using tranbrake, I'll bet his stalls well past 4200 at 20 psi and possibly higher which would also be shift recovery rpm.

Kevin.

We cant speculate on the converter. Why would you think its too high? He needs to throw more power at it to see how it acts. If he had the suspension it would definitely et really well if it left at 4200. But having it drop that low on shifts is not ideal.

I think it's mentioned that it stalls to 3500 at 10 psi, and depending on stator design and fin angles it most likely will stall a lot higher at 20-25 psi which in turn would raise it even higher than 4200, which is about 1000 rpm higher than his peak torque rpm, I'll bet when he floors it and boost comes up it just stays at 4700-4900. :wink: wasting power.

Kevin.