How to identify Drop Spindles

edfiero1

My front end is lowered. Is there anyway to identify a drop spindle? Mine has no obvious markings. But can I measure it or something?
The spindle has either been off the car and repainted or its not original because the paint is really good on it, and it is not rusted at all.

My tires rub the wheel well going over bumps, even with new Billstien shocks. So trying to figure out if I need to go back to stock spindles, or get different springs.

It would be easier if you could compare with another GN parked next to yours. Remove one front wheel on each car and measure the position of the spindles...
Good luck,
Claude.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any other GN near by. It would easy for me to measure the location of the spindle if someone with a stock knuckle laying around could tell how far down from the top of the knuckle at the ball joint to the center of the spindle. Then I could compare to mine.

I could tell you tomorrow . I'm picking my car up today and I was told it had drop spindles on it when I bought it years ago . I bought stock spindles to replace the drop spindles and low and behold they are stock in the car already . So I can measure the new stock spindles for you after I get back .

899D49C3-8288-441E-8F4A-37F603F6BAFE.jpeg

Stock - pin near bottom of spindle

C421E41B-644D-473E-9A02-24F918CF5E82.jpeg

Drop Spindle - pin raised from bottom of spindle (pin raised = car lowered)

I had some time tonight to remove my modified stock spindles and install the Speedtech aluminum spindles.
I forgot you can’t easily remove the rotors, but I measured with a straight edge across the top ball joint pad and perpendicular to the spindle.
I got 6 1/2”. A 2” drop spindle would be 4 1/2”.
I’m not sure if you can measure around the rotor somehow, but if you disassemble it for whatever reason this may help.

82BC76C2-F10E-444C-B81D-308C8DE70B04.jpeg

I had some time tonight to remove my modified stock spindles and install the Speedtech aluminum spindles.
I forgot you can’t easily remove the rotors, but I measured with a straight edge across the top ball joint pad and perpendicular to the spindle.
I got 6 1/2”. A 2” drop spindle would be 4 1/2”.
I’m not sure if you can measure around the rotor somehow, but if you disassemble it for whatever reason this may help.

View attachment 355979
Pics of the Speedtech spindles ?

Pics of the Speedtech spindles ?

E17CC7EF-91FE-4E6B-877C-1F7B94CC2A60.jpeg

I wish Speedtech knew more about their G-body products, maybe it’s because they bought out ATS.

A few words of caution.
*They couldn’t tell me how much taller they were than stock. They’re 1” taller.
*They weren’t sure if they increased the track width. They are 3/8” wider per side.
*They thought they lowered the car a little, but wasn’t sure. The center of the hub is 7/8” higher, so a 7/8” drop spindle.
*They didn’t mention they don’t have any kind of steering stops other than the tires hitting the frame or sway bar. I’ll make something.

They come with the C7 hubs/ unit bearings and are made to accept C5/ C6 brakes, base or ZO6.

Yes I’m a little frustrated, but the benefits of the taller spindle, better ackerman angle plus the near perfect bump steer, for a bolt on setup, out way the cons for me.
I’ll do a little info write up.

I wish Speedtech knew more about their G-body products, maybe it’s because they bought out ATS.

A few words of caution.
*They weren’t sure if they increased the track width. They are 3/8” wider per side.
*They thought they lowered the car a little, but wasn’t sure. The center of the hub is 7/8” higher, so a 7/8” drop spindle.
*They didn’t mention they don’t have any kind of steering stops other than the tires hitting the frame or sway bar. I’ll make something.
Seems like there is a lot of this out there. I called Speedway Motors about a set of Spindles they were selling. Had to talk to 3 different people to find out if what they were selling is a 100% stock replacement. Then even after I got to the GM Tech 'Expert' his answers to my question didn't really fill me with confidence.

I will be selling or returning my new in box stock spindles. If you are interested PM me . I will be at Bowling Green next week and can bring them there.
I paid $209 from Summit , $150

Attachments

• 20220505_121534.jpg
    20220505_121534.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 74
View attachment 355980

A few words of caution.

They come with the C7 hubs/ unit bearings and are made to accept C5/ C6 brakes, base or ZO6.

Yes I’m a little frustrated, but the benefits of the taller spindle, better ackerman angle plus the near perfect bump steer, for a bolt on setup, out way the cons for me.
I’ll do a little info write up.
I certainly knew about the 1" taller, and 7/8" drop. They were always advertised as "no change in track width", so that's News. Steering stops are built into the steering box on G-bodies. Good box rebuilders (Lee/Turn One) can adjust them for the spindles.
I have a set to go on mine (with Baer 14" Pro Plus brakes, a Hellwig boxed frame, and a new Lee box - if I live long enough). I've been waiting for ARP 1/2" long studs for them. They keep getting backordered.

I certainly knew about the 1" taller, and 7/8" drop. They were always advertised as "no change in track width", so that's News. Steering stops are built into the steering box on G-bodies. Good box rebuilders (Lee/Turn One) can adjust them for the spindles.
I have a set to go on mine (with Baer 14" Pro Plus brakes, a Hellwig boxed frame, and a new Lee box - if I live long enough). I've been waiting for ARP 1/2" long studs for them. They keep getting backordered.
You knew more than I did. Blake from Speedtech had a GN, the one on their website. He couldn’t recall the specs. He did mention the stops in the steering box after I saw no stops on the spindle. They seem to have all the info on the early F-body spindles.
I ran a plumb bob down from the outside of the stock fender lip. I’m setting mine up so both the front and rear tires will be 1/2” inset from the outside of the stock fender lip. 3/8” out further, the tire will rub the GNX style inner fender pocket. Not cool!
I bet I’m waiting for the same studs.
I hope they make 2 sets. Lol

My front end is lowered. Is there anyway to identify a drop spindle? Mine has no obvious markings. But can I measure it or something?
The spindle has either been off the car and repainted or its not original because the paint is really good on it, and it is not rusted at all.

My tires rub the wheel well going over bumps, even with new Billstien shocks. So trying to figure out if I need to go back to stock spindles, or get different springs.
Old thread..... but it turns out the washer on the spindle in front of bearing is different on these two. The bolts work but the washers dont go over the tip.