How to add MP3 input to stock deck ?

sshoureas

Can ayone tell me how to wire in an MP3 input to a stock 87 Grand National radio ? What I'd like to do is similar to what I've seen on eBay but I dont want to drill a hole in the front panel to bring out a jack. Instead, I want to bring it out the rear and under the dash for a more discrete job. I've seen the cassette tape method but prefer to do it without the "trick cassette" method. Anyone know how to do this on either the slider bass/treble radio or the EQ radio ?

I purchased a Pioneer replacement stereo for my son's SportTrac for his birthday (he's at OCS in Quantico 'til the 13th!):smile: w/ the iPod cable from Best Buy. As I recall,they offer the add-on unit like you want as well; everything attaches in the back ( adapter etc.) for "plug & play" meaning, according to them, they don't cut the original wiring harness. I have no idea how complicated it is (took the guy about an hour to do the install...plug & play!?!). Crutchfield may also have what you need.
Anyway, they fed the jack under the rubber flooring to the center console; very discreet:cool:
HTH
D :cool:

I had a UM7 radio converted to an ipod input. I meant to look inside and see how it was done when I got it back, but I wanted to fill the hole in my dash and stuck it back in the car to check the operation and just left it there. Next time it comes out, I am going to check inside to see what the mod was. I had him route a cable out the back, no holes in the unit at all. Works like a charm. He advertises on ebay selling converted radios, and he is in Utah, I believe. Excellent, quick service! I sent him my radio and he perormed the mod, replaced lamps, etc, and the price was very reasonable. I will see if I can find him and re-post the info. I may take the radio out this week as I plan to wire in a bunch of accessories anyway.
The funny thing about all this is I rarely listen to the radio/stereo. The unique sound of these cars is the real music to my ears!

Radio with MP3 Jack

I am interested in this as well. I went looking for the ones on eBay, but was unable to find any today, but will keep watching.

I had a UM7 radio converted to an ipod input. I meant to look inside and see how it was done when I got it back, but I wanted to fill the hole in my dash and stuck it back in the car to check the operation and just left it there. Next time it comes out, I am going to check inside to see what the mod was. I had him route a cable out the back, no holes in the unit at all. Works like a charm. He advertises on ebay selling converted radios, and he is in Utah, I believe. Excellent, quick service! I sent him my radio and he perormed the mod, replaced lamps, etc, and the price was very reasonable. I will see if I can find him and re-post the info. I may take the radio out this week as I plan to wire in a bunch of accessories anyway.
The funny thing about all this is I rarely listen to the radio/stereo. The unique sound of these cars is the real music to my ears!
Did you ever find the guy on ebay?

contact Philliturbo6 on this board. He's an electrical engineer and I believe was working on doing this to a stock radio.