How rare are Hot Airs?

Yep, any hot air is rare. Just try to explain to somebody that Buick put the same motor in a Riviera.

I haven't been following this thread until now...

Eric, this post makes me laugh! So true... You always get the :confused: :confused: :confused: looks from people.

FWIW, you should try doing a burnout in a turbo Riviera at a drag strip. You'll really get the :eek: from people.

Here's a pic of my 84 GN:
32422d1187371587-how-rare-hot-airs-pic002-compressed.jpg

This makes me want to dust off the headlight covers and see if they still look good on mine!

Mine is a 84 T-type WH1. Talk about rare.

I have the first Turbo regal sold in Utah. Bought off the show room floor buy my dad in Oct of 83. and living in utah I think there are only about 6 or 7 total turbo regals in this state, and as far as I know it is the only Hot air. and I know that no matter how much I would love to upgrade this thing I know it means alot to my Dad and me and the regal community to keep this thing original. and even though this is not worth much in the eyes of the cold air crowd it means a ton to me to know I own a piece of great American History.

So feel good to know you own a Hot Ait Turbo and drive it proudly like I do.

I would get an appraisal and insure it as a collector car. My hot air is insured for appraised value of 19K with my mods. There are strings attached to this insurance though. Take -Care- BRAD

brad im about t get a appraisal for my car what strings are attached? im hoping to get mine around 20K but im not sure what there going to say about the 6 point.

Brent- I paid $150 for the appraisal from M&M Automobile Appraisers. It was done by mail and photographs. Their number is 702-568-5120. The insurance company charged me $185 per year with zero ded and $500.000 liab for $10000 coverage. I just upped it to $19000 but I have not received my bill yet. Here are the strings:

1. Drive less than 6000 miles per year.

2. Automobile stored in a locked garage.

3. The automobile can never be left unattended unless at a car show.

4. The automobile can only be driven for pleasure-no drag racing, no daily driver, errrands etc.

5. You have to prove you have another car which is used as your daily driver.

If you have any further question-PM me. Thanks- Brad

IMO there arent any rare TR's. They may be very desirable but not rare. Rare means if you want one and have the money to spend you may not find one. There are hundreds of TR's for sale across the country at any given them time making them quite plentiful. You can easily find a less than 10k mile TR if you have the $ to spend. Even GNX's are not rare. At any given time there are several for sale. Any one of those could be bought by a willing buyer if they had the $. Therefore they are not rare either. Lots of demand but not not rare. Something could be rare and not have any demand. A rare car imo would be a 71 hemi cuda convertible with a 4-speed. That car may not be available even if you had millinons of $ to spend on one.

brad what insureance company are you going threw. i have USAA since im miltary and they hook it up i was going to check into them first.

Politely disagree

IMO there arent any rare TR's. They may be very desirable but not rare. Rare means if you want one and have the money to spend you may not find one. There are hundreds of TR's for sale across the country at any given them time making them quite plentiful. You can easily find a less than 10k mile TR if you have the $ to spend.

Some of these cars have rare option codes that you cannot find on any of the "available" GN's/T-types that are up for sale. Yes... you can purchase another GN or T-type and start over... but you may not be fortunate enough to find another that was exactly like the one you used to own.

There are a handful of these cars here in Colorado Springs, Colorado and good luck seeing any one of them out on a city street... even on a sunny day.

TR is a TR

Some may disagree with me saying a TR is a TR.

Anyways, what I have noticed is the late 30 something and 40 something crowd really takes notice of these cars since afterall, that age group was either in HS, just out of HS or just entering the workforce from 84-87. Several times when I take my old slow 84 GN out, I get plenty of comments as far as "is that your GN?" No one ever says "is that your "hot air" GN? Sometimes I will say, "its an 84, and they were the slower ones" the response usualy is "so what! you have a GN! Those cars were awesome!

This age group are the ones starting to, or already have $$. They will be the ones in the market for a "toy" either now or in a few years. Unless they get screwed with thier ARM on thier house, they should be OK financialy and when they look for a GN or a TR it may push the prices up. Maybe it already has, anyways, the higher IC cars go up in value, the HA ones may not follow penny for penny but the value may (i stress MAY) increase as well.

My 1 cent (not 2 since I own a HA ) ;)

I have the first Turbo regal sold in Utah. Bought off the show room floor buy my dad in Oct of 83. and living in utah I think there are only about 6 or 7 total turbo regals in this state, and as far as I know it is the only Hot air. and I know that no matter how much I would love to upgrade this thing I know it means alot to my Dad and me and the regal community to keep this thing original. and even though this is not worth much in the eyes of the cold air crowd it means a ton to me to know I own a piece of great American History.

So feel good to know you own a Hot Ait Turbo and drive it proudly like I do.

Your dad must be Kevin then...

Hopefully it's running well for you. I rebuilt the motor in it for him.

So when do you want to race my "wreck" ?
From Dennis Kirban - The rarest regal T-Type is the 1985, since only 2,100 were produced, You can't say that about your POS. I couldn't stop laughing when you told me you paid $850 for that down pipe. You could have bought a Mease 3'' downpipe part number; D3IWGSS45 For $350. It's painfully obvious that you don't know anything about cars, you would think with 1200 posts you would have learned something by now. Have you wondered why nobody wanted a downpipe after you told them it will be close to a grand for one...everybody on the board is laughing at you also. This is also coming from a guy that paid $400 to get his motor mounts changed. Buy some pipe for $60 and make your own downpipe. I also have a '85 GN, an 86 with 15,000 miles on it and two '87 GNs. and that's just my Buicks. You dont know anything about me Sally ( or cars ) so dont judge a book by it's cover. PS your rear emblem is on the wrong side of the car and your interior upholstery is wrong. What a ahole.

Hehe I just bought a 85 t-type that is 100% original for 1500.00. 95,000 original miles. the gray/ silver gray paint is even still decent.

From Dennis Kirban - The rarest regal T-Type is the 1985, since only 2,100 were produced, You can't say that about your POS. I couldn't stop laughing when you told me you paid $850 for that down pipe. You could have bought a Mease 3'' downpipe part number; D3IWGSS45 For $350. It's painfully obvious that you don't know anything about cars, you would think with 1200 posts you would have learned something by now. Have you wondered why nobody wanted a downpipe after you told them it will be close to a grand for one...everybody on the board is laughing at you also. This is also coming from a guy that paid $400 to get his motor mounts changed. Buy some pipe for $60 and make your own downpipe. I also have a '85 GN, an 86 with 15,000 miles on it and two '87 GNs. and that's just my Buicks. You dont know anything about me Sally ( or cars ) so dont judge a book by it's cover. PS your rear emblem is on the wrong side of the car and your interior upholstery is wrong. What a ahole.

Hehe I just bought a 85 t-type that is 100% original for 1500.00. 95,000 original miles. the gray/ silver gray paint is even still decent.

WTF?

i am doing a gnx clone on my 85 t-type hot air.this car has 45/55 bench seat
a/c and concert sound,no tilt wheel no power windows or door locks ,no rear
defogger strange for a new england car.i am going to leave the interior alone
except for after market gauges.also no going with black tired of owning black cars.

I just paid $800.00 for my 85 GN. No rust solid body.

Hot Air

I own an 85 GN.
I purchased it new.
I hope to go to Piedmont Dragway this comming weekend.
I did see E Singers car at a cruise in in Pilot Mtn NC. last year.

Attachments

• DSC01130.jpg
    DSC01130.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 151
Hi Tommy, Long time no see!

I hope you can make it out to Piedmont on Friday, It'll be nice to have another Hotair out at the event. So far it looks like that going to be a really big turnout, last time I spoke to one of the organizers it's going to be 250 to 300 people.

Well I can say that I can keep the hot air Gen alive. I have the first 84 WH1 sold in Utah, still original, daily driver, and other than some rust issues this car is great. hope to hear from more hot aires soon....

Yes Kevin is the Dad. by the way I have been looking for someone who knows these cars in the SLC area that I can have some fuel leak issues looked at. if you don't mind emailing me hopefully I can have it looked at.
I am down to 19 miles per gallon and w/ gas prices I need to get to get this up. ken.williams@pencoproducts.com THANKS.

Here is some research of mine!!

Please do not quote me on this, but this is some info I have gathered so far. This can really tell us hot air guys how rare our cars are in general;)

1984-6% of the Buick Regals came with the 3.8 turbo option
1985-8% of the Buick Regals came with the 3.8 turbo option
1986-40% of the Buick Regals came with the 3.8 turbo option
1987-71% of the Buick Regals came with the 3.8 turbo option
This info is for all Buick Regal models(T Types and Grand Nationals)

So how rare are the hot air Buick Regals or Grnd Nationals????

I say pretty damn rare:rolleyes: