How Often Do You Guys Change Your TR's Oil?

Smokin-6

How many miles do you put on your Buicks oil before you change it? I started using the ZDDP addative and have been using Mobil One since car was new. Just wondering if I change it to soon;)

I drive mine alot!!!!

I drive it alot, more addictive then crack:eek: Anyways I usally change it right around ever 2,000 miles and it really seems to pay off:rolleyes:

I change my oil every time I take something on the engine apart or if it sets for too long. So about every 100-500 miles. :frown: I guess when I don't have it apart I'll go 1500-2000 miles depending on how much alky I burn.

salvageV6 said:
3,000 - 4,000 miles.

Usually closer to 3000.

Filter and oil both cars.

+2
I do this on all of my vehicles unless I just happen not to put that many miles on it in a long time. Then I will only wait about 6-8 months.

I change the GN about every 1k or before race season starts...and it only makes it to the track about 3-4 times a year.
My other cars that aren't beat on get changed about once every couple of years which is only about 1k miles in a couple of years :D Oil doesn't get old if its not dirty and black.

I change my oil every time I take something on the engine apart or if it sets for too long. So about every 100-500 miles. :frown: I guess when I don't have it apart I'll go 1500-2000 miles depending on how much alky I burn.

yup first sign of dirt, have always done so with every street rod ive owned

If I based it on mileage I'd be doing 5 year oil changes. I change it when I take it out in the spring and again when it goes away for the winter.

I change it every 2000 miles or once a year whatever comes first, usually once I year:biggrin: I tend to not drive it much.;)

I don't put alot of miles on mine. I change every three months. I would change every two or three years if I waited on mileage.

I only put on a few hundred miles each year- and I change the oil only once a year- using Amsoil.

Is it better to change the oil in the spring when i take out the car or in the fall when it hibernates. - Actually the car is always hibernating!

Frank

Wow you guys like changing oil! If you have a clean burning motor with tight piston to wall clearance and little blowby or leakdown, and drive at operating temp for longer than 15 minutes, you can easily go 5000-8000 miles on the oil. But it needs to be a good synthetic and a good filter. I always went 8000-10,000 miles on my cobra with royal purple. The motor burned emissions like a new honda and had perfect compression after 5 years and 60,000 miles of abuse...and most of my trips were only about 15 minutes. All other oils would drain out looking terrible, but the RP drained out looking new, so I stuck with it. The whole inside of the motor looked brand new when I sold it. I used to fire it up in the dead of winter and without even warming it up, I'd bounce it off the rev limiter at 7500rpm through the gears...never any damage. When I had the blower on it, I changed it every 5000. Theoretically, you can go 20,000 miles on a good synthetic, as long as you change the filter every 3000-5,000. My personal favorites are RP and Redline. I know redline is one of the best, after we used it in all our road racing cars and the engines would tear down after an entire season, without a sign that the engine was ever even fired up...and they were the top placing cars in their class.
Amsoil was the second synthetic to come around, a long time back. But alot of independent tests have shown it to not be as good as they like to think....its a good oil, but not the best.

Wow you guys like changing oil! If you have a clean burning motor with tight piston to wall clearance and little blowby or leakdown, and drive at operating temp for longer than 15 minutes, you can easily go 5000-8000 miles on the oil. But it needs to be a good synthetic and a good filter. I always went 8000-10,000 miles on my cobra with royal purple. The motor burned emissions like a new honda and had perfect compression after 5 years and 60,000 miles of abuse...and most of my trips were only about 15 minutes. All other oils would drain out looking terrible, but the RP drained out looking new, so I stuck with it. The whole inside of the motor looked brand new when I sold it. I used to fire it up in the dead of winter and without even warming it up, I'd bounce it off the rev limiter at 7500rpm through the gears...never any damage. When I had the blower on it, I changed it every 5000. Theoretically, you can go 20,000 miles on a good synthetic, as long as you change the filter every 3000-5,000. My personal favorites are RP and Redline. I know redline is one of the best, after we used it in all our road racing cars and the engines would tear down after an entire season, without a sign that the engine was ever even fired up...and they were the top placing cars in their class.
Amsoil was the second synthetic to come around, a long time back. But alot of independent tests have shown it to not be as good as they like to think....its a good oil, but not the best.
For a street car I agree but if you run alky injection or race the car then you should change it more often. So I change mine more often.

Yeah all those oil changes did not pay off!!!!!

I was cruising yesterday and a 5.slow rolled up and laughed at my car and told me they are not as fast as they look. I will say he is right about that, they are faster then they look:rolleyes: Long story short I put my foot to the floor and shut him down real quick:cool: About twenty minutes after that I started to smell oil cruising at 55 I have great oil pressure and I did look at the guage and it should about 45 psi? Well I did not think much of it cuase the turbo is older and I figured it spit some oil out, after looking in the mirrors I saw a **** load of oil smoke dumping out the exhaust like I was fooging the town:eek: Still had great oil pressure. I hurried up to get it to my shop and it started ticking like a wrist pin knock, I got to the shop and poped the hood and the turbo was bright orange:eek: in broad day light with the sun hitting it. I am happy the car did not go up in flames. I started it this morning and had checked all the fluids before hand. It lost about 1/2 a quart of oil. It ticks and I noticed the smell of raw unburt fuel coming from the exhaust like a rich condition:confused: I always change the oil on all my cars and never have a problem and I have never had a problem with this car till this happen. Any ideas? Oh yeah it is a 84 t type:(