How much does it cost in maintence fees for turbos annually?

Jakob Lafler

i am wondering:confused: how much a turbos maintence costs annually any answer or advice would be great thanks:D

You shouldn't have to rebuild them every year..it all depends on how much boost you run, if you run a turbo saver, and if you keep up with your oil changes.but I'm sure bison could give you a better answer on this than I can

~7 years, prob over 20k the past few years, high teens in boost with alky, home made turbo saver/ dual filter, frequent oil changes (prob not frequent enough..., and never synthetic). Never had it apart, and I check play every few months by pulling MAF tube off. Still nice feeling.

35k miles, boost always over 20 nearing 30, stock feed and return, nothing but syn oil, and no shaft play. 3k mile oil changes no matter how much I race it.

Maintaining the turbo is the least of my worries or expenses.
It's the other thousand parts I'm always tinkering with.

These cars are 25 years old now.
So virtually anything made of rubber is ripe for replacement.
That alone runs into hundreds and sometimes thousands.

Then you have the upgrades and little to-do's that have to be done to keep one of these cars presentable..

The routine maintenance is not much more or not much less than any other car.
But owing to the notion that modern cars don't need as much scheduled maintencance, most people don't even do routing maintenance on their run around cars, which usually runs a couple hundred bucks per year.

Most people have almost at least as much in upgrades and fix-ups as they do in the original purchase price.
Like I say, when I visit the various sites, my cart gets to a thousand dollars in the blink of an eye.

dang boy wonder i dont have a regal yet soon own one one day drive it in memory of justav6 but i was getting knowledge for maitence on a eclipse 07 se inline four

The stockers go for a long time. 80K and far past. It's a good question on aftermarket. People like to try new turbos and a lot of times mileage gets lost from person to person. You check the basics and ship it on to a new home. A lot of factors will determine life. I would like to hear how much longer a turbo lives with a turbo timer or turbo saver, but that's pretty much impossible to do a side by side with. No two engines or turbos are the same. Then different combos and boost levels makes it harder yet. All and all a good new turbo should last a long time - 30k plus, under good conditions.

dang boy wonder i dont have a regal yet soon own one one day drive it in memory of justav6 but i was getting knowledge for maitence on a eclipse 07 se inline four

Ahhh..ok.
I think I got that.
Sorta.

The annual maintenance costs of just the turbo would be - zero.
There is no real "maintenance" to be done to it.
Nor could the average owner.
If any service is to be needed, it a part that is either refurbished or replaced.
It's a part that, like all of them, will eventually wear and wear out.

It's those head gaskets (or gasket in your case) that you get up close and personal with.

I noticed in a previous thread Jakob you inquired whether you could use a "Buick" turbo on your Eclipse.
There are pretty simple devices and the only thing stopping you from using one over the other are (basically) the connections and bolt-ups.
As examples, you wil see all flavors and sizes of turbos used on Buicks, up to and including twin turbo setups.
But, all things being equal, and definitely not trying to be rude, isn't there a good forum for Eclispe owners where they offer adivce on popular turbo swaps or such things?

You mentioned 'in memory" of "JustaV6".
I am not familiar with your uncle, but if passed on, my condolences.
I liked that plate name. I think it was already taken in Georgia when I got my latest plate.

Attachments

• IMG_0808.JPG
    IMG_0808.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 70
Jakob Lafler said:

For an eclipse?

The turbo is maintenance free other than providing clean pressurized oil and filtered air there isn't much else you can do. Under normal operating conditions factory installed turbochargers have lasted hundreds of thousands of miles. There is/was a Saab somewhere with over 1 million miles. It still had the factory turbo on it. Contrary to what's been posted the pressure ratio it's run at has little effect on it's life if it was properly built and specified.

Throw in my 2 cents. Bought my GN new . Changed oil every 2000 miles (overkill but it was alot cheaper in the 90's) with Mobil 1 only. Basic 12 second car recipe. Didn't beat on it but was run hard every time out. Original turbo - no turbo saver ever used - went to 117,000 miles without any issues. Always allowed for some cool down time if run hard . Turbo was still good but a vane chipped off and sounded like an emergency vehicle coming down thew street under boost. Never blew a head gasket either. Ran about 17 lbs. boost since 1989 till about 4 years ago.