How much $ am i looking at?

Rustyrodder

needs a GN
I just got a quick look at the GN im looking at. unfortuneatly, the owner wasnt there, so i could just look at the body and such. body=great shape, at least for a NY car. didnt get a good look underneath. But now i have a couple questions on getting her up & running-

1- How much will a stock wastegate cost me, and where can i get one? or are there any good aftermarket ones that work well with stock? And lastly, my autoshop teacher brought up a point: How do you know that its going bad?

2-It needs an alternator(can it at least start so i can hear it run with a bad one?). All i can find online are remanufactured(autozone, napa), or $350 for a new one from Gbodyparts.com(I'll be getting interior trim form them anyway). Am i better off getting the more expensive new one?

and lastly, suspension: Im planning on getting this form Gbody parts too. the Bilstein shocks/struts are a given. But does anyone have experience with the prokit/drop springs? would I need Caster/Camber plates with these? or where can i get good stock springs if thats better?

And im hoping to get a GNX style dash from GNXdash.com while I'm at it. Any suggestions on styles?

Sorry for so many questions, my only real experience is on my dirt bikes.

I am in a good mood today and will help you with some of your questions. I recommend that you post in your signature what year is your car.

The waste gate is normally incorporated into the turbo elbow. I think you are thinking of the waste gate actuator. I would call Brian at GBODYPARTS or post in the parts wanted section.

I bought a remanufactured alternator last summer. Works fine. Just make sure it is for a TTYPE and not a normal Regal.

The suspension and digital dash I cannot help you with. I will offer 2 cents on the digital dash is that they are known to have problems after all these years. Personally, I am glad that I do not have one.

Good luck- Brad

Thanks for the help...hm, the sig working?

i couldnt tell if it has the digital dash- I hate those things. Drove my Grandmothers merc with one, never will again. I might almost be able to live with the other style though(whats the official name for it:confused: )

GNXs didn't have digital dashes.

An alternator from Autozone will work fine for 50-60 bucks.

You can pick up a heavy duty wastegate actuator from a vendor listed on the homepage. You will probably upgrade the turbo so go ahead and get a heavy duty actuator. Not much more $$ ,if any.

Why do you want to change the suspension from stock?

chris

When i called about it originally, i was told the previous owner lowered it. im not sure if he did it right, or cut the springs. I'm just planning out for the worst, and figure i might as well lower it a tad while Im at it.

and can i get a link to a wastegate actuator? what exactly does this do?

http://www.fullthrottlespeed.com/searchresult~CartId~EVEREST{6E906BFB-8A4C-41E5-BEE7-16ADA2661E0B}.htm

dont know if this will work...if not go to TB home page and dig around on Full Throttle's site

The wastgate actuator opens and closes the flap that covers the wastegate...which is a hole in the turbo that bleeds off air to control boost.

The digital dashes in the GN's are quite accurate. Much moreso than the analog! If you want to display speeds over 85 accurately and easily, its hard to beat the dig dash.

Problem? No tach or boost guage. What you do get are two boost lights run by hobbs switch. Mine were set for 1 and 7 psi. Perfect. The analog setup isnt often accurate reading boost.

Since everyone updates their stuff to aftermarket boost/tach this should be a non issue.

I dont think I was just lucky but my speedo was always dead on and every press of the cruise was 1mph. cool. If it said 10 gal it was (this part was lucky).

They DO have power supply issues for some folks but Spina can fix that.

I'm really not worried about the dash either way. I like the looks of this one, so once the money comes, it will be there:
image083.jpg

uh..dumb questions again: the bezel is the piece all around the gauges, right?

so that cuts out the alternator, & wastegate. anybody know suspension?

One other addition to your previous questions:

1. Alternator available from Napa. Stock unit is 120 amp. You can swap in a unot from a 94-96 Impala SS. they are 140 amp. Direct fit. Little more juice for the electronics. I have the model numbers and pricing osted elsewhere on the board.

2. Heavy Duty Adjustable Wastegate is the way to go. Not too expensive.

3. My GN is lowered and it looks great but rides like crap. Front tires rub when I turn. Don't like it. Do a search on this board referencing suspension and you'll have hours or reading...

4. The GNX Dash is nice but pricey. You might want to go through the car and make sure she's running right before you spend $800-$1k on a dash.

These cars are money pits and there is not a person on this board that would disagree with me. However, once you come to the "Darkside", you can never go back. You'll spend and spend and spend.....

Welcome to the board.;)

Take it easy there big guy!

I just got a quick look at the GN im looking at. unfortuneatly, the owner wasnt there, so i could just look at the body and such. body=great shape, at least for a NY car. didnt get a good look underneath. But now i have a couple questions on getting her up & running-

1- How much will a stock wastegate cost me, and where can i get one? or are there any good aftermarket ones that work well with stock? And lastly, my autoshop teacher brought up a point: How do you know that its going bad?

2-It needs an alternator(can it at least start so i can hear it run with a bad one?). All i can find online are remanufactured(autozone, napa), or $350 for a new one from Gbodyparts.com(I'll be getting interior trim form them anyway). Am i better off getting the more expensive new one?

and lastly, suspension: Im planning on getting this form Gbody parts too. the Bilstein shocks/struts are a given. But does anyone have experience with the prokit/drop springs? would I need Caster/Camber plates with these? or where can i get good stock springs if thats better?

And im hoping to get a GNX style dash from GNXdash.com while I'm at it. Any suggestions on styles?

Sorry for so many questions, my only real experience is on my dirt bikes.
First things first, I would suggest U take someone who owns or has owned one of these cars with U to look the car over. There are things to look for, like the rear section of the frame (rot) floorboard condition, etc. Mechanically a quick startup can tell a few things. I hate to say it but these motors are known for letting go when beat on, so the slightest hint of a rod knock is a dont buy unless u dont mind rebuilding. U may find that this car ur lookin at may be more trouble than its worth. Pictures would help a lil but they wont tell the whole story. Too bad its not in the Chicago area, I would of been happy to help u out. Maybe a local guy by U will step up.

Just buy mine! heh. Its an 86 so it looks lowered but rides good. Has Bilstein shocks... or was it KYB? Dont recall now. Alternator works! <wink>

I had Spina go through the dig dash some time ago for the 199 mod. Works fine.

it has 100k, T-Top car. Im getting the vin so i can run a carfax. and ill take endless photos, underside and all. most people on here seem to be way north of me or a state away. So ive been reading up what to look for, and hope for the best. I cant do a total rebuild, so and knocks or noises=no buy. he also just got new paint and a new trans. but if he cant show me reciepts for anything, i wont buy it. I can do some bolt-on work, but I really dont need(or want) a full on project right now.

well how much ya want GN?

Mine has a tick sound so its not what you are looking for I dont think. But then for the price diff you could come out pretty good.

$5200 <-- click

There are a number of Buick guys here that can look at it for you. Heck, feel free to solicit them in secret! <grin>

it has 100k, T-Top car. Im getting the vin so i can run a carfax. and ill take endless photos, underside and all. most people on here seem to be way north of me or a state away. So ive been reading up what to look for, and hope for the best. I cant do a total rebuild, so and knocks or noises=no buy. he also just got new paint and a new trans. but if he cant show me reciepts for anything, i wont buy it. I can do some bolt-on work, but I really dont need(or want) a full on project right now.

well how much ya want GN?

I would walk and not buy it. Wait for a GN which is in good running shape. My 2 cents. Brad

At least have him take the glass out of the tops and look for rust around the rubber seals if it is don't buy it'll cost ya some dough to fix. Good luck either way!