How many stage II blocks were produced ?

The two fronts are parallel and the middle is splayed, no six bolts on this one.has oil dip stick hole.

Wow! That makes 4 distinct versions of the 153....love it!

Edit maybe I jumped the gun. Are the front and rears 4 bolt?

I have U 814(virgin), U1051, & U1077. I would like to see pics of the 6 bolt block, also. I saw one a long time ago, but didn't pay a lot of attention to it. At that time I didn't know how rare it was.:(

Pretty sure the main cap configuration progressed ....... it started as 2 bolt front and rear with 4 bolt centers, then 4 bolt front and center with 2 bolt rear, then all 4 bolt, then front rear 4 bolt and center 6 bolt.

I have U 814(virgin), U1051, & U1077. I would like to see pics of the 6 bolt block, also. I saw one a long time ago, but didn't pay a lot of attention to it. At that time I didn't know how rare it was.:(

Nice collection you have there and thank you for posting the numbers. So far the only picture of a 6 bolt is post 32 on page 2.

2 bolt front and rear and 4 bolt centers. Early on center. Has dip stick provision, and can be machined for a oil pick up. Same bottom end as an off center.

I have one of these also. I couldn't find a "U" designation stamped on the front of the block like the later On center blocks.

Neal

Mike, looking at pics of my block. It doesn't have the "hard ribs" where your oil pan bolts are located. Weird, never noticed that. I will check my other motors.

img_2446-jpg.193272
Read through the thread again just to make sure you hadn't already posted the number of this block and didn't see it. If this one is still in your possession it would be interesting to see if it was in the thousands or if they started over numerically.

Thanks, Mike. Have an off-center S2 4.1 also. :D
One of our club members just got his hands on one of those and it's almost ready to go in the car. Has put some really nice parts in and on it. Has a DLS pan and oil system on it from back when you could get them.

I called uni boring in Michigan and left a message for the guy to call me back. It looks like uni boring that stamped that number on the Block ceased business in 2005 but the company that they turned into is still around and I'm just trying to see if any of their old files would tell us something for those of us that don't have a Sonic check record sheet.

Guy called me back from what used to be Uniboring and asked that I email him some pics of the numbers on my blocks, etc. He checked with a couple of older employees and unfortunately they dont have any of the old records. The older employee did definitely remember the BMS blocks coming through and said it was a walk down memory lane.

Guy called me back from what used to be Uniboring and asked that I email him some pics of the numbers on my blocks, etc. He checked with a couple of older employees and unfortunately they dont have any of the old records. The older employee did definitely remember the BMS blocks coming through and said it was a walk down memory lane.
Sad that the history seems to be lost. Very nice of you to spend the time researching it.

Had forgotten all about this thread and found it again while searching for something else. Lots of stage 2 info that may be helpful for others. Maybe those that contributed can add new post with pictures in an effort to salvage the thread.

Hopefully so, tons of stage 2 pics and pics in general need to be uploaded again.

Good question,someone would have to supply a sonic bore test sheet for an offcenter. I dont know how many virgin off centers there are to find out.
I found some nice pictures online of a 4.1 153 on center with cross bolted 1-4 caps. The Uni-Bore sonic sheet Is also attached (note the U stamped in the block number).

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 69
  • 0 bytes · Views: 69
  • 0 bytes · Views: 67
  • 0 bytes · Views: 64
  • 0 bytes · Views: 75
  • 0 bytes · Views: 75
  • 0 bytes · Views: 76
  • 0 bytes · Views: 67
  • 0 bytes · Views: 71
Mike,
I just read thru this forum and I say Wow didn't know there were that many different combination of blocks out there.
Thanks,
Bob

Pics of motor I am working on. It is an early 153 on-center with internal oiling. Still learning a lot about it.
Bob

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 74
  • 0 bytes · Views: 73
Bob that’s going to be a nice set up! I’m glad you posted because I haven’t seen a 153 with an internal oil pick up. I read back through all of the post and Rob had brought up that one version of the 153 can be machined for the pick up. Wonder if any came that way or if they were all machined later?

Mike,
I believe Buick used the 016 casting to produce this block as it appears that the pickup was cast into it and it has the regular oil ports in the front of the block. The next thing that I have to figure out is the pulley alignment/front bracket.
Bob