How many stage II blocks were produced ?

Mike T

Be great if someone knew how many of each version was produced but I'm mostly curious about the 4.1 153 on center. Did read somewhere that Buick did a final special run of 50 blocks (not sure of casting number).

TA's aluminum blocks are a low in production from what I've heard too......under 100?

Ive heard the last of 50 ONC stage 2's as well and they were supposedly 6 bolt center mains.

In 1999, the last 25 stage II blocks were machined by the factory.

It was then I had a discussion with Mike, owner of TA Performance, about him making a Stage 2 block. After a few months of planning including a designer/engineer which had done many small parts for the Buick V-8's and a few V-6 parts.

Mike and the designer decided to make an alum block vs. iron as many new factory and aftermarket companies had transitioned to alum blocks from cast iron.

Mike obtained a complete set of Buick factory blueprints for Stage II. Many upgrades and changes were incorporated into the final alum block design.

Three blocks were initially cast, and 2 were machined, one off-center, one on-center, the 3rd was not machined, but cut apart to verify conformation to the plans.

The off-center block was machined and assembled by Zimmerman Racing Engines and it was dis-assembled 3 times to verify oiling passages and other critical areas.

This was a 3 month process of verification at the shop before it was installed in my race car.

With over 1000 9 sec. runs, it never had a bearing failure, and still is performing excellent!

I am fortunate enough to say i am a proud owner of one of the last 25 iron casting from back in 1999

I am fortunate enough to say i am a proud owner of one of the last 25 iron casting from back in 1999
Was there any date codes on these blocks ? my block is crossbolted ft end rear I always thought that was the latest 153 block ?

The whole Stage II program was an evolution from beginning to end. I've owned quite a few Off center and On center blocks including 4X castings which were pre-production parts. I don't think you'd be able to put an actual production # on each type of block. The Buick Motorsports program was much bigger in its heyday than most realize. Some of the blocks did have date castings but not all of them. It's fair to say off center stuff is older. Early blocks had production caps at the # 1 and 4 positions. Once the late off center blocks were made circa 1985-1987 they had all steel caps. There are different versions of On center blocks not all of which had cross bolted mains. I think I got a bit off track.

Neal

So were there only 25 cross bolted 153's? Or was there a final run of 25 cross bolted 153's? Also where might the date code be located?

So were there only 25 cross bolted 153's? Or was there a final run of 25 cross bolted 153's? Also where might the date code be located?

I believe the date code is just below the rear of the intake here is a pic of my block looks like it was drilled for a knock sensor so it's hard to read
20180119_115228.jpg

Front and rear hear. Was told the "U" prefix on the front of mine meant that it was destined for the Bush series.....never made it there;)

Front and rear hear. Was told the "U" prefix on the front of mine meant that it was destined for the Bush series.....never made it there;)

Were on the block is the U ? Now I need to look at mine when I get to work on Sat

Oh look...this is a picture that DANK must have posted a while back. Number can be seen under the head

buick stage 2 block U1207 or U1209.jpg

View attachment 315768

I will have to look at both my 153s

See that's what's confusing, you have 2, Dank has 1, I have 1, a friend of mine has 2 or 3, another post I read a guy bought 6, seen a few virgins on this site, others on racing junk, ebay, countless big name drag guys ran them and Bush series. For the 153 to be so rare sure seems to be a lot of them floating around.

See that's what's confusing, you have 2, Dank has 1, I have 1, a friend of mine has 2 or 3, another post I read a guy bought 6, seen a few virgins on this site, others on racing junk, ebay, countless big name drag guys ran them and Bush series. For the 153 to be so rare sure seems to be a lot of them floating around.
Most Bush teams had multiple 153

That's why I was asking about a date code on the block I think there was a good amount of blocks sent out but the very last run may of been 25

A friend who knows a lot about the stage stuff and Buicks in general told me that one of the latest versions of the stage block weighed a little more because they "beefed up" the casting on the drivers side. Same friend said some of the earlier blocks (I believe off center) had severe core shift that resulted in very thin cylinder walls.

To gear up for an additional 25 just seems like such a odd thing, Think it was to finish out the Bush series?