how many 12 second 84/85's

85 TR

just got back from the track after the last race of the year and ran 13.62 with 15 psi on the stock turbo and inj. think with my ta33 30 pound injectors and alky i will get a 12 second pass next year just curious how many guys are running this fast or faster and what it took to get there.

sorry about trying to highjack your thread but i seen that your signature says "self ported heads and intake" i am looking at doing this right now. What i am looking to find out is some sort of instruction i should know about how to do this. can you help me out?

Thanks, Dan

Originally posted by 85 TR
just got back from the track after the last race of the year and ran 13.62 with 15 psi on the stock turbo and inj. think with my ta33 30 pound injectors and alky i will get a 12 second pass next year just curious how many guys are running this fast or faster and what it took to get there.

not knocking you AT ALL.. but there's more than a 13.6 in your combo. a few of us have gone 13.60's with less..

at the time my car had fp, fpr, jay carter 17* timing hotair chip, home made cold air kit.. running 17psi boost. stock headers (cracked) and stock downpipe (unbolted from the exhaust, a nut between the flanges, then bolted back together.)

you have an intercooler and ATR exhaust products.. there's more in your combo for sure :)

what's the rest of the timeslip look like?

My 12.9@110mph was done at 13psi, it spiked to 18 for a second and was 10 psi through the traps. Combo was self ported heads and intake, TA49, 206-206 Comp cam, 2.5" DP, KB headers, Spearco intercooler. This was daily driver trim, capable of 12s on 87 octane. Much faster on the good gas.

-ported heads/intake
-208 cam
-LT headers/DP
-TA-61
-spearco

FWIW,MPH is the power #,ET shows how well you put it to the track.

Check my sig for my #'s.

i know theres more in my combo i didnt have t-link hooked up and dont know what tune the car is in . just wanted to know what it took others to get ther.

dan dont know if im the guy to give instructions on how to port your heads i just cleaned up the head and took out all the material that looked like it was in the way of air flow.

12 sec 84/85

If you dont care about intercooler or not, which obviously you dont, youve already got a jump. As already stated, with your other additional mods you should already be well capable. If that intake was properly ported inside/out, with your intercooler the car should fly, stock turbo or not.
Also as already stated, mph is what reflects hp. ET is more directly related to launch/60ft. Get that mph up.

Info on no IC combo below.

I meant to say 12s on 91 octane, not 87 in my post. I know my combo had much more in it. After I added the TA64 I trapped 107mph at only 10psi. Probably could've run it on 87 at that boost.

I have not hit 12's yet. I ran a best of 13.899 @ 98.43 yesterday. This is with no IC, stock turbo, and stock injectors. I just got the car together on Friday and there is alot of tuning still needed and believe there is at least another .5 seconds or more in the car given a 60' time of 2.156 and the fact that the ecm was pulling out quite a bit of timing. This was run at about 16# of boost.

Stock turbo, injectors, exhaust, cam, heads, intake, only mods 160 stat, air filter, chip and more boost. 12.5@106. All with a blown headgasket and 150,000 miles.

Tuning

How do you know what to tune the car to ?

Maybe posting our tune would help establish how we reach our ET / MPH for a given combo. I dont have a Turbo link yet but plan on one soon.

But if I had one - id be lost as to what the numbers should be in order to get the maximum performance outta the car. What is everyone tuning to ?

God I hope my combo is good for 12's. I'd kill myself if it wasn't, lol.
I am fixing some of the problems I have had for a long time very recently. I have went through 5 cams in all. 2 on the orginal block and 3 on the 4.1. And 3 different manufacturs. This tells me the its the block. Well I talked to Dick Sweat. He sold me a 208-208 that has compensation for the .030 offset in the lifter bore. I also learned that every aftermarket lifter is made by standard dyne. The have several problems. So I bought a set of pricey gm lifters, i'm glad I work at a gm dearlership thats for sure. That saved me quite a bit.
I also have a problem with my boost. I can only run 12 psi with 93. My mechanical compression is too high. I got a set of .078 thick cometics head gaskets. I should be back to around 8:1 now. Yippy. I learned that my turbo is most efficent at 15 psi. So now I can run that on 93 now.
I finally tracked down the boost disappering problem. A piece of metal pipe inside the maf tube solved the problem. I went exteranl thinking my internal wasn't cutting it. Oh well, now i have excellent boost control.
I was raced 2 600cc crotch rockets on 2 different occasions and they only got 1 car lentgh in front of me with the car at 12 psi of boost. I can't wait to get some 110, i hope before the snow flies, but I still have to pull the motor to cut the crank and replaces the main rod and cam bearings.

12.9 with ta-33, blue tops, spearco intercooler. No head work or intake work with stock 96k motor (atr headers, dp.). 13.8 with no spearco.

I got to the track on 93 octane with about 25% toulene. I made a run in my street tires through the mufflers with 21 or 22 pounds of boost and ran 13.4. Then put on the slicks and some race gas and ran 12.9. Started messing with the boost and timing (translator plus) But it started running worse. I ended up having a problems with the translator. I should have gotten mid 12's.

A few days before I bought my 84 t-type, the owner took it to island dragway for one last run.

That combo was a home ported exhaust elbow, poston headers and x over pipe, adj fpr, walbro 307, and the kenne bell chip. That combo ran mid 13's...If memory serves me, I think 13.49ish? When I bought it, I ran it once downt he strip on a friday night, and choked out a 13.9 @ 94? This was almost 5 years ago, and I have no recollection of the speeds or anything anymore. I just remember it was my first official race in a TR, and breaking 14 was the best thing to happen!

After that, the crank got wiped out (scored on every journal), trans blew, driverside door got ripped off because the trans blew, and the car has been sitting since october of 2000. Int he meantime,mods to come, or mods I already have, aiming at a 11 sec pass:

I got a .030 block with trw's,
Dave Weber custom roller motor setup- custom grind cam, roller rockers, lifters, custom pushrods, custom front cover, double roller chain and gears
TA54 Turbo
50 lb MSD's
walbro 340
accufab adj regulator
I Win Engineering ported/coated intake
custom machined heads with three angle valve job, 100 lb springs
manley severe duty valves
alky injection, most likely SMC, unless razor is cheaper!!! lol
3400 stall converter
custom chip
87 computer w/direct scan
lt1 maf
Poston headers, X over
ATR 2.5" Up Pipe
MEASE 3" DP
MEASE 3" SS Dump
3:42 locking rear
going to run Nitto's
Aluminum F-Body Rad
87 GN eletric fan
possibly an eletric water pump...not sure yet...

And if I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

I am going for a mid 11 sec car, if I go faster, kudos to me, but I gotta hit 11.60's!!! My goal was 11.99, but I feel that I can go 11.60's with all that stuff up there ^ ^ ^
NO INTERCOOLER!!!!!

Good luck!

John

P.S....give turbo6x2 a buzz sometime. She is an amazingly nice, helpful person, with an 11 sec hot air.

12.89@104.06 as per my sig...

ECM conversion with Turbotweak street chip and some 009's, AFPR, TA33, Downpipe, 2.5" exhaust, slicks, VP C-16.

Playing with tire pressure and fuel pressure because I maxed out my boost rod (and even cut it with a hacksaw for a little more).

Things I should have done differently:

I'm still running an '85 MAF on my converted ECM, I should have switched to a Translator setup to make it easier for Eric to make the chip (not familiar with hot air MAF tables). It also should have been a race chip. I should also have run some CR43's or CR42's for plugs, the CR44's are too hot for that performance level...

Could have shaved another 2-3 tenths off and been a solid mid-high 12 second car.

Not sure what to expect from my car next spring, but I hope 12's are reachable on my 215's copper cobra street tires........;) Plan on getting a race chip yet and uping the boost with some 110 in the tank. :D

i am hoping that my new setup will go high to mid 12s. I got a new block thats .30 over i plan on using the stock heads and intake but i am going to have them flowed and matched. A t 33 and larger injectors. I already have the fuel system and exhaust im just waiting on my bonus check so i can get started. Harry