How Hot?

I hate to tell you guys this but I win!

I am in Indiana and got you guys beat. I am at work and it is around 140 to 155 thoughout the mill. It is just a bit on the warm side this week. I hate when people complain about the heat when the work outside or in a regular factory. I work in a freakin steel mill and people will as if it gets hot! Duh! It was 100 on thursday with the heat index of 115. That's hot but I was at work and in front a 480 volt fan it was 146. Our safety guy came around and was checking temps where everyone was working. So fella's. That is what hot really is.

F that!!!!

I was as an extrusion operator in a plastics factory and it was about 120* 12 months a year...

Time for a career change.....

Bryan

I don't mind it being hot during the day , but it was 90+ in my garage @ 10:30 pm with the doors open !!! :eek: This is the hottest night time temps I can remember .

No chance on a career change. I make way to much money here to go somewhere else and do maintenance. The next highest paying maintenance job around pays 40,000 less a year. The good thing is we work 4 on then 4 off switching from days to nights. 12 hour shifts from 9 to 9.

How hot? I don't know?.... Low to mid 80's?..

It's always the same BORING weather here: Low in the 60's, high in the mid 80's..

How hot? I don't know?.... Low to mid 80's?..

It's always the same BORING weather here: Low in the 60's, high in the mid 80's..

I would like to believe you...I just don't...Please send me a plane ticket so I can see for myself. :biggrin:

Bryan

Ha Ha. Whats happening is South Louisiana (New Orleans) is getting lots of rainfall and our typical heat has been spread throughout the rest of the nation. You all now see what we deal with every summer down here for all 5 months of summer. So suck it up because I'm sure the rain we are getting is going to move out and our heat will be able to come back home.

Nothing new, really...about 104 here today, day before, day before and will be up to 106 until Tuesday...

To think...my wife and I grew up WITHOUT A/C in our apartments and cars, so it's really not terrifying...however, the elderly should not be out in it for long..

I was out in my garage where the temp was about 101...as I was cutting trim/wood, I did start to get light headed a little....the day before I was out in it patching up my cousin's oil pan crack, then it did hit me....almost had a heat stroke...dizzy, couldn't walk, barely made it inside the house to lay on the a/c vent for about 1/2 hour, so I guess it's a bitch sometimes....still can't believe I grew up without any a/c at all

I thought my Dad was a genius back in 1952 when he put a big fan in the window of the upstairs bathroom in our apartment, then opened up all the windows downstairs at night....wow...cool air flowing in...still remember that and how smart I thought he was (he was) but Dad let me know ,yes, he thought of it, get used to having a smart Dad......bittersweet but nice today.

And we didn't have to worry about some psycho breaking in our open window...everyone in the neighborhood knew how ornery my Dad was..:tongue:

But, I do have our a/c set on 74 as I can't stand the 78 we usually have it on....I guess I'm really getting old....we'll know how smart that is when we receive our electric bill.....last month it was $132 for one month of June for our all electric house, including the garage with the compressor, lights, tools, etc.... so I guess we're doing OK.....I've done lots and lots of energy saving stuff save for the a/c unit. Must be paying off a little. Still, wish the heat would go away, I've got three acres of land to mow this week with a push mower.......well, self propelled front wheel drive, and yes, I have a lawn tractor mower, but use the push mower for cardiovascular excercise......hope that sounded important...

Bruce '87 Grand National

In this heat don't use the push mower to much Bruce. I'd hate to hear of you having heat stroke. It's way to easy to get over heated here. I'm used to it and can cope but those that aren't can get over taxed and then you're flat on your back. I even wear a cotton poly uniform that's dark blue when I'm working so you can imagine how hot it can get in the sun.

In this heat don't use the push mower to much Bruce. I'd hate to hear of you having heat stroke. It's way to easy to get over heated here. I'm used to it and can cope but those that aren't can get over taxed and then you're flat on your back. I even wear a cotton poly uniform that's dark blue when I'm working so you can imagine how hot it can get in the sun.

heat stroke is a tough mother. Im a heat casualty and ive had 3 heat related incidents in my past. 1st time changing a tire 93 degree heat on a hot freeway with no water, and 120 on the ground with a bad jack, driving my buick in gridlock weather on Highway 16 with the tops down in 100 degree weather, and at the beach where i caught a case soo bad i stopped sweating and pretty much passed out. Ever since then i barely sweat in the sun. my familys the same way, we gotta take it easy in the heat.
and now, im going to go take an icewater bath:D

bunch of whiners in this thread :rolleyes: :biggrin:
delicate tuff guys :biggrin:

i was at work on Saturday and my wife calls me to complain about the heat and that in my mom's house there isn't any AC - ME -- SO you just got out of working in an office with AC and you have the nerve to call me to complain about moms house?? :mad::mad: mean while i am working all day in this bathroom at over 100 plus talk to you later click.

Oc192,

I am giving you an open invitation to come to Indiana and I will give you a tour of a steel mill. Then we will see who is a whiner! We have customers and engineering students take tours of the mill all the time. When they get close to the steel they hit the heat wall and then take a few step back. It is actually fun to watch. It is tolerable until you get a certain distance and then the heat hits you and you know it. In some areas where we have to go it is around 200 degrees and you have to where aluminized clothing. That protects you from the direct heat but you still get hot very hot.

My wife just flew to TX this morning and sent me this.

I'm with brett on the snow. It sux. I only turn the air on one week out of the year (Last week)..

Attachments

• IMG00170-20110725-1309.jpg
    IMG00170-20110725-1309.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 81
I need AC about two weeks of the year. the rest of the year its f-en freezing:mad: so I didnt buy an AC unit. no central AC. I have the ducting for it but cant justify the expense.

Lol...Shane's never been in Connecticut. AC is rolling down the windows. :biggrin: