How hard to replace dash bulbs?

WE4REAL

My cruise light and hi-beam indicator light are not working. I was wondering how difficult they are to change and are they special bulbs? It's an 87 WE4 w/digital dash from the factory. Thanks for any insight.

remove applique, remove cluster screws, slide out cluster, bulbs are twist-lock.

Well that explains why I can't see my cruise light, use that all the time too.

I might try a 194 in that socket. :p

The reason they used the dim bulb is because that lamp could be lit for hours on a road trip, so it produces less heat. If you used a 194 or 193, it would eventually damage the telltale lens and/or the bulb socket. The "Cruise" screening is also doubled-up to give a very subtle message that doesn't annoy the driver. At least they put *some* thought into that design.

I like to be annoyed, good job. ;):p

Okay maybe an LED that doesn't heat up as much as a 194 will work....

Then again I've got a blown out 1/4" line at the trans. support so that's a bit more important right now. :rolleyes:

LED's would be a good choice for some lamps, but the biggest problem is that they don't dim. If they are too bright, not much you can do. The factory dimmer added resistance to the filaments, which would make them pretty dim, but LED's are either on or off so adding resistance has no real effect on the intensity.

You have to PWM an LED to effectively dim it. If you want to get creative, you can use these on the dash LED's to dim them inexpensively: https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-RF-Wir...610433?hash=item3aaed9c4c1:g:x74AAOSwgQ9VuXin

Thanks for the link, I keep the dimmer all the way up, it's an '87 car old school dim dashes, old eyes. o_O

Car does have a digital dash so I guess some green stuff dims at night....

New cars are bright and I always have to dim them some.

Now out to try my new inline flare tool that does 1/4" lines. :cool:

Need my daily back on the road. :)

LED's would be a good choice for some lamps, but the biggest problem is that they don't dim. If they are too bright, not much you can do. The factory dimmer added resistance to the filaments, which would make them pretty dim, but LED's are either on or off so adding resistance has no real effect on the intensity.

You have to PWM an LED to effectively dim it. If you want to get creative, you can use these on the dash LED's to dim them inexpensively: https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-RF-Wir...610433?hash=item3aaed9c4c1:g:x74AAOSwgQ9VuXin

Doesn't SteveV have a short video out of installing LEDs in the dash and they dimmed fine?

Doesn't SteveV have a short video out of installing LEDs in the dash and they dimmed fine?
Yes I do, I think John has seen it and commented on it as well. They do dim with no other changes. I don't understand the logic either they are either on or off. I keep them up bright anyway.

Yes I do, I think John has seen it and commented on it as well. They do dim with no other changes. I don't understand the logic either they are either on or off. I keep them up bright anyway.

I like the regular bulbs since the high setting is already perfect for night driving. Going to put a couple of LEDs in the turn signal indicators though. Replaced the lamp strips and the turns hardly so up during the day. Can hear the flasher but sometimes you're groovin to some bumper music. lol.