How does this PL shift graph look?

Mike T

Been struggling with VB and shift issues and I think it's getting close. Played with lots of governor combos too. Under moderate to heavy throttle the 1-2 is @ 46 MPH and 2-3 is @ 83 MPH while RPM is identical on both shifts.

PL 2nd gear 46.jpg
PL 3rd gear 83.jpg

Looks okay to me...and you're getting a good drop at the shifts in regards to the convertor.

Looks okay to me...and you're getting a good drop at the shifts in regards to the convertor.

Yes! Very good observation....I didn't want to lead anyone by pointing that out. It's a 17 blade PTC nl and the drop under power really surprised me. The run is at relatively low boost and I'm very curious to see how it will respond with more boost.

The 2-3 seems a little soft cruising around but under power it looks ok??

My question would be is the sharp drop because the motor is making sufficient power to keep the converter engaged? Or not enough power to loosen the converter up?

I usually run 22 psi. I'd expect with more power you'd see the rpm's pick up quicker from 2-3. Your boost pressure isn't staying linear. TPS steady?

Last edited:
Your boost pressure isn't staying linear.

Couple of things going on there. One being that I'm testing on a narrow back road in a rural area and the nerves aren't what they used to be..so yes the old foot is on and off of it a little. Also testing a spring to keep boost down while running 93 octane on the street (HD actuator)

At 53 I doubt I have the balls to try rural roads anymore...lol. I strictly grudge/bracket race my car on the weekends. I record all the runs so I can check for anomalies from run to run. If you can...get to a track to get some full 1/8th or 1/4 mile WOT data.

Here's a screenshot of an old file prior to roller cam and converter swap. Boost was easy to maintain on that combo this one needs a little more attention. I'll also attach the current file we are discussing, 3 weeks ago this car was scattered all over my shop so it's come a long way.
It has developed a terrible speedo bounce that you will see in the file, the lower speeds are smoothing out but over 100 it's all over the place.

Boost long run.jpg

Attachments

• gov3long.dat
    164.6 KB · Views: 61