how does a stock wastegate work exactly?

Vendor Defendor

Out the window
a while back when i was replacing my DP i was looking at how the whole wastegate assembly worked, i still dont get it. how does it work? i know about the whole vacuum line bit and that when the engine builds boost, that the waste gate pulls closed right? but how does the whole puck and the little hole thing work?

may be a dumb question but its been bothering me...

thanks

-Neil

I'll take a shot at this...

When the exhaust gases go through the turbine of the turbo, they can go one of two ways. They can either go through the turbine itself, or they can go around the turbine and through the wastegate hole. Any exhaust gas that bypasses the turbine and goes through the wastegate hole is "wasted" (i.e. not used to drive the turbine), thus the name "wastegate".

When boost is low, the wastegate puck covers the wastegate hole, forcing all of the exhaust gas through the turbine. The puck is spring-loaded by the wastegate actuator to stay closed. As boost increases, two things happen:

1. The pressure of the exhaust gases acting on the puck increases (i.e. the exhaust gas is trying harder to push the puck open).
2. The canister on the wastegate actuator is filled with pressurized boost air from the compressor, under the control of the wastegate solenoid on the valve cover.

Both of the above try to overcome the spring in the actuator and force the puck open. So, as your turbo is building more and more boost when you floor it, the pressure of the exhaust gases and the boost in the actuator force the puck open. This allows some of the exhaust gas to bypass the turbine and go through the wastegate. This prevents the boost from building beyond a certain point.

So, to raise boost, you either stiffen the actuator spring or decrease the amount of boost pressure going to the actuator via the wastegate solenoid. To lower boost, you either make the actuator spring less stiff or increase the amount boost pressure going to the actuator via the wastegate solenoid.

Clear as mud?

that all makes perfect sence, but why does the sound come through the intake side???i'm not sure if it does but thats what i've heard and it would make sence, since with the stock airfilter its much quieter.

I think the vacuum sound that you hear out of the air filter is simply the sound of the incoming air rushing through the compressor. The "whoosh-whoosh-whoosh" that you hear when you let off the gas is the sound of air back-flowing through the compressor as it goes into rotating stall (asking the compressor to generate a high pressure ratio with low flow through it causes rotating stall). If your car has a dump, then you can listen to the sound that the turbine wheel makes very well. The high-pitched whine that you hear is made in the turbine.

Whereever the sound comes from, it's a good thing...

Later,