How do u change the chip?

87LimitedT

Just getting started
probably a dumb question but im not sure on how to change the chip i know the ecm is on the passenger side behind the panel their by your feet but what all do i do in order to change it thanks.

Take the two nuts off that hold the small cover plate. Remove positive battery cable from battery. Touch something metal on the car while removing the e-prom. There is a black plastic carrier that the chip sits in. Wiggle that (length wise) front to back and pull away.

Remove chip from carrier, put new chip in carrier and re-install CAREFULLY. Try not to bend the prongs on the chip - also touch metal while doing the install.
Hook power back up and restart

Easy one, brother:

1) by the battery, disconnect the orange ECM wire
2) pull the passenger side kick panel, and remove the ECM from the plastic panel (you don't need to disconnect the wiring harness)
3) remove the rectangular cover plate from the ECM (I think the screws are 7mm)
4) on the board, you'll see 2 chips. The larger is the EEPROM, and the smaller is the calpac chip. Leave the Calpac chip alone.
Gently and evenly pry the EEPROM from its socket. The goal is to lift the chip out as level as possible so there's no damage to the legs.

Replacement is the reverse of removal.

aye thanks i just replaced my stock chip with a TT chip was a lot easer than what i thought it would be.