How do I get a replacement lugnut lock socket

larry33kc

I have TT 2's on my car and it has locking lugnuts on it, but I don't have a socket. How do I get one? Or is there anyone that has one I can borrow so I can get them off? TIA

Without the original paperwork to send in for the right key - ???
Many garages and tire shops have special tools to remove locks. Or, if the lug is exposed, you can use a small grinder to cut a flat on the locking lug, and using a vice grips on the lug (with the others removed) twist the wheel side to side, with torque applied to the lug, it should slowly back it's way off. (been there, done that)
Good Luck.:biggrin:

You can buy wheel lock removal sockets at some auto-supply outlets, they basicly are round sockets with internal splines that grip the outside round edges of the wheel lock. Just pound them on with a small sledge or ballpeen and use a 1/2 inch breaker bar or ratchet to spin em off, works like a charm everytime. I've personally removed about 20+ wheels this way in wrecking yards over the years where the keys are long gone. I've also found numerous wheels that were destroyed by jackasses trying to use vise-grips or chisels to get wheel locks off, the problem is the wheel locks are hardened steel and the rims are usually softer material, when the chisel or vise-grips, slip, and they will.....the rim, or yor hand will get the worst of it. The same could be true of trying to use a grinder to cut a slot in a wheel lock......one bounce-off or slip and you can wreck the actual rim pretty quick. Alternatively, sometimes an old 1/2 inch drive socket of a similar diameter can be knocked on and used with similar effect. :biggrin:

You can even get the locking lug removal sockets at Sears.

So much for the security of locking lugs.

With the easy availability of the locks, I cannot recommend wheel locks.

Some of these wheel locks are inferrior quality & I'm aware of a wheel comming off on the highway.

Again - I cannot recommend wheel locks.

you could also try a cheap 12 point socket that is a tight fit over the nut- just pound it on and take the lug nut off.
if it doesn't work, go buy or borrow the proper tool.

Some of these wheel locks are inferrior quality & I'm aware of a wheel comming off on the highway.

Again - I cannot recommend wheel locks.

"Roger", I doubt that a wheel coming off on the highway has anything to do with wheel locks, good or cheap. All of the lug nuts would also have to come off to lose the wheel!...:eek:

Claude. :wink:

"Roger", I doubt that a wheel coming off on the highway has anything to do with wheel locks, good or cheap. All of the lug nuts would also have to come off to lose the wheel!...:eek:

Claude. :wink:

Sorry to disagree with you, however the setup was for all of the nuts on the wheel. The guy wanted all lugnuts to match.

Whenever I used locks, I only locked 1 lugnut per wheel.

Sorry to disagree with you, however the setup was for all of the nuts on the wheel. The guy wanted all lugnuts to match.

Whenever I used locks, I only locked 1 lugnut per wheel.

I have been running that type of set-up (Gorilla lug lock system) for over 20 years with No problems. Quality and finish is as good as Any I have seen. And they do all look alike (spline drive);) As with all lugs, double check torque after a few miles.:biggrin:

Air chisel working in a counter clockwise direction around the lug from the interlocking area.