How can i import a car from canada to cali

MANDINGO

I'm looking to buy a car from Canada but I dont know how to get it back here to the states and register it here in California. What are the steps of bringing it back and what do I have to do in order for it to get registered here in cali? I was told to talk to Joe chung since he works for the state of California and is a moderator here. This is the car I'm looking at: https://www.turbobuick.com/threads/...ored-grey-on-grey-leather-colum-shift.445391/

Wrong place to ask. You should start at the U.S. Department of Transportation Website and work your way down to the California DMV from there.

Wrong place to ask. You should start at the U.S. Department of Transportation Website and work your way down to the California DMV from there.
Staff member told me to post here because the moderator works for the state of California

@gofstbuick is a great guy and hopefully will be able to help you out with some information.

If you go and pick it up you can drive or tow across the border. No broker needed. Just need the Canadian registration, BOS and you will need to fill out a form at the border when u cross.

California is the problem for you. That vehicle needs to be a federal or California emissions spec vehicle. You try to register in CA, car will be required to visit Smog Check Referee. Referee will look for emissions certification label and if meets USEPA (ferderal) or CA, car will be allowed to register. GM may be able to provide a Certificate of Conformity or Referee may know. If not it goes back to Canada.
Another possibility is Gray Market Certification Lab, but really expensive. Plus a bond must be put up to assure the the conversion status of a gray market vehicle (if not, the feds can confiscate and destroy and they don't care. Someone once tried to import a Porsche 959 carbon fiber without a bond and vehicle was crushed). And the lab may choose to accept your vehicle or not.
The direct import regulations are very strict and CA has it's own set of regulations when it comes to Gray Market vehicles.

California is the problem for you. That vehicle needs to be a federal or California emissions spec vehicle. You try to register in CA, car will be required to visit Smog Check Referee. Referee will look for emissions certification label and if meets USEPA (ferderal) or CA, car will be allowed to register. GM may be able to provide a Certificate of Conformity or Referee may know. If not it goes back to Canada.
Another possibility is Gray Market Certification Lab, but really expensive. Plus a bond must be put up to assure the the conversion status of a gray market vehicle (if not, the feds can confiscate and destroy and they don't care. Someone once tried to import a Porsche 959 carbon fiber without a bond and vehicle was crushed). And the lab may choose to accept your vehicle or not.
The direct import regulations are very strict and CA has it's own set of regulations when it comes to Gray Market vehicles.
So basically it's like I'm gambling to see if it's going to be accepted or not

You really need to see a picture of the emissions label under the hood. If you provide a photo to my email, I may be able to confirm some things