How 2004r governor works?

plcguru

Newbie question so please educate me.
I thought when the governor spins centifugal force makes the weights go outward like that roundup amusement park ride that makes u stick to the wall the faster it rotates. But it seems like the weights are already out due to the springs pushing them out already by default.
What am I missing as I obviously am missing something obvious lol
Thanks

The springs just supply a little bit of pressure so light throttle shifts aren't too high. Centrifugal force works the rest along with VB calibration.

ok, but the springs seem to be pushing the weights out all the way at rest. I do see there's a gap of maybe 0.25 inch between the weights and the case bore when the gov is installed... and I can squeeze the weights inward... but I can't pull them outward. So is there some HUGE centrifugal force that pulls them out when the governor spins and I'm just a weakling who can't manually pull them outward lol
Thanks for the help
gov.jpg

I believe that the governor mechanism works somewhat like a pressure regulator, and the weights put 'force' on the regulating mechanism to control "governor pressure", so the amount the weights move is actually very little.

Bob

ok, but the springs seem to be pushing the weights out all the way at rest. I do see there's a gap of maybe 0.25 inch between the weights and the case bore when the gov is installed... and I can squeeze the weights inward... but I can't pull them outward. So is there some HUGE centrifugal force that pulls them out when the governor spins and I'm just a weakling who can't manually pull them outward lol
Thanks for the help
The springs don't push the weights out, they hold them inward.

thanks guys... I get it now.
I thought the weights push out more but obviously not. They just 'push harder' the faster the gov turns.

Thanks again!

So it that confirmed that the 84-85 GN has 2 springs and the 86-87 GN has only one spring on the small weight?